• ...and so much more!
  • Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have an all electric house. No natural gas supply as I live substatially off the beaten path. I'd love to go with propane, but there are reasons I have not.
    I do, however, plan to upgrade to a propane stovetop and supply it via portable/refillable tanks at a future date.

My parents have this.
    When the bought the current digs all elec. Mom despises elec stoves and Dad quickly installed a gas unit. Runs off two of the BBQ grille size units. Has a valve to switch from tank A to B so never “run out” each time they switch on their next store trip get an exchange.

My house now was elec when I bought it. Had gas in place so I swapped over. When I relocate to my land I will have to use propane as well.

For me not a problem as I also need a well elec serv septic and a dwelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Well, I live in the sticks North of Kerrpatch with a well for the few residences around here. Water is extremely hard and water heaters only last 6 or 7 years, if you're lucky.
    We're in the same boat. We have a softener but the water is still pretty hard. Have you found any tricks to improve your water?

I won't get a tankless for this reason. I think they'll croak just as easily with the water we have.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    It's funny. We have hard well water at home but on the ship it all comes from an evaporator. I can never seem to rinse the soap off my body or the shampoo out of my hair at work because of the water purity (<10 ppm dissolved solids or else alarm condition but usually in the 2-3 ppm range). Then I get home and for the first week or two I can't get over how good the water tastes. Then the shower starts spraying everywhere except on me and I have to soak every shower head and faucet in CLR. I start cursing the hard well water until it's time to go back to the ship where a week later I miss my well water with all it's dissolved solids.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    We're in the same boat. We have a softener but the water is still pretty hard. Have you found any tricks to improve your water?

I won't get a tankless for this reason. I think they'll croak just as easily with the water we have.
    Have you tried a softener?

I put in a softener a couple years ago and a new water heater at the same time. We'll see...

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Have you tried a softener?

I put in a softener a couple years ago and a new water heater at the same time. We'll see...
    Yep, we have a softener. I think it helps but the water still seems hard. Wondering if there is anything else to use short of a still.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Over the many years over a billion water heaters were consumed worldwide. Without expansion tanks.
    Why do 'codes' require them now ? It does help the plumbing trade, but what other problem do they solve.
    (Yes, I know, just don't believe)

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Yep, we have a softener. I think it helps but the water still seems hard. Wondering if there is anything else to use short of a still.
    I had a "water guy" tell me no, but this hard water is pretty hard on a heater.

I had a water heater I'd replaced the elements in a couple times and then the top element went out to and it turned out the water heater was half full of lime. I tried everything to clean that out and finally bought a new one.

Am I understanding these other guys right? That switching to GAS prevents lime in a water heater with the same water use? I don't understand how that would make a difference but if they are DOING it, I can't argue with that.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There is a sacrificial anode made of magnesium that is in a hot water heater. The bigger the anode, the longer it takes for the system to corrode through. In some, you can actually change the anode. My family was in the plumbing business for many years, until the last of them got too old. My uncle told me to have the heater installed instead of doing it myself because many of them are damaged in shipment. Years ago they came in wooden crates. Now it's maybe just some cardboard. A plumbing business can send back damaged ones; you usually can't.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I had a "water guy" tell me no, but this hard water is pretty hard on a heater.

I had a water heater I'd replaced the elements in a couple times and then the top element went out to and it turned out the water heater was half full of lime. I tried everything to clean that out and finally bought a new one.

Am I understanding these other guys right? That switching to GAS prevents lime in a water heater with the same water use? I don't understand how that would make a difference but if they are DOING it, I can't argue with that.

GAS doesnt prevent the lime accumulation the heaters capacity will over time degrade (ie it will hold less water) as it builds up. It will however still heat the water that it holds as the burner is not effected like the elements on an elec.

In the end you get longer life out of it.
    Current unit in my house is closing in on 20 and still fine. 2 people in house and have yet to run it out of hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Just remember that the regs have changed on WH now and they are now fatter than before due to required extra insulation IIRC. What fit last time gallon wise may not fit this time. Check the actual dimensions not the capacity. Mine blew out Thanksgiving of 2019 and they were able to mediate the water damage and dry everything out and replace the WH, but no repairs done to the house. We are both on the COVID high risk list and don't let anyone in the house.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My uncle told me to have the heater installed instead of doing it myself because many of them are damaged in shipment. Years ago they came in wooden crates. Now it's maybe just some cardboard. A plumbing business can send back damaged ones; you usually can't.
    I did. Hauled that sucker all the way to the house, down the stairs. Installed. Leaked as soon as I opened the water valve.

Now I have to drain it and haul the drained water up the stairs. Then haul the water heater up the stairs. Back to the store... Good thing the next one did not leak.

Store never argued at all. Very nice about it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm dreading the day, and it's probably gonna be soon, that I have to replace my electric water heater. It's going on 18 years old, access is outside the house, and a 17 year old crepe myrtle is growing 2 feet in front of the access panel. Very poor planning on my part.

Top Bottom