• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    How hard is it to convert to tankless? Any special wiring other than what's there for an electric WH. I guess I mean how expensive is it.
    DK Firearms

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    How hard is it to convert to tankless? Any special wiring other than what's there for an electric WH. I guess I mean how expensive is it.

You can get a tankless that will more than meet the needs of a 5 person household for like 550 bucks. As far as installation, yes there is some tubing involved, most of the members here could set it up themselves. Idiots like me have to hire someone. I plan on replacing the 8 year old water heater in the house I just bought with a tankless this year.

This will run 2 showers and a faucet simultaneously.

OR a shower and your washing machine.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'm dreading the day, and it's probably gonna be soon, that I have to replace my electric water heater. It's going on 18 years old, access is outside the house, and a 17 year old crepe myrtle is growing 2 feet in front of the access panel. Very poor planning on my part.
    1609863146557.png

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You can get a tankless that will more than meet the needs of a 5 person household for like 550 bucks. As far as installation, yes there is some tubing involved, most of the members here could set it up themselves. Idiots like me have to hire someone. I plan on replacing the 8 year old water heater in the house I just bought with a tankless this year.

36 kW!
    Holy crap!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep, we have a softener. I think it helps but the water still seems hard. Wondering if there is anything else to use short of a still.

Your softener should* be able to keep up with the SAWS mineral supply. Ours does after a short discussion on how to program it with the plumber across the street.

Not all softener controllers allow the adjustability ours does, but most do.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Thankfully, it is on the ground level of the washroom and there is a drain right in front off it!
    Like I said, it LOOKS new, but the manufacture date shows "2010", so I guess that's about right,.

Sorry, didn't read the entire thread.

They don't make em like they used to.... when I first started my Home Inspection biz, the avg life of a water heater was 12yrs. But there were many many of the much older ones still working at 20+yrs or even longer. Oh, you'd replace a thermostat or a heating element, but the liners were made from thick materials.

Nowadays you buy a wonder heater and are lucky if you get 4yrs out of it... the outer jacket/covering will last longer than the liner and downpipe. It's planned obsolescence

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    36 kW!
    Holy crap!

I always go high end. It never uses that much power unless it's on. It's not like your water heater which is constantly having to turn on to keep the water warm. It actually saves you electricity. You can get lower end ones that use less.

Check how much energy your water heater uses if you have an electric. Tankless is a no brainer when you do the math.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Let's see. The 24kw needs 3 40A breakers using 8ga wire. I would have to up my power to the house from the Coop (currently 200A), replace the breaker box and run wiring to support the 24kw model. By the time I paid an electrician to do all of that I could buy 4-5 water heaters. Don't compute to me, not at my age.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I only have gas so it works out well for me! No electrical other than normal 120V. I will install one of these next. The nat gas fired ones are considerably more expensive ($1500 to $2k). Something like this:

I think I could even install it but won't. Comes with isolation valves and TPR. Isolation valves allow flushing yearly easily.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I always go high end. It never uses that much power unless it's on. It's not like your water heater which is constantly having to turn on to keep the water warm. It actually saves you electricity. You can get lower end ones that use less.

Check how much energy your water heater uses if you have an electric. Tankless is a no brainer when you do the math.

If I were having a new house built, or major renovations or a huge remodel, tankless might make sense, because it could be easily added into the materials and labor costs, when plumbing and electrical were being done, or upgraded.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Just remember that the regs have changed on WH now and they are now fatter than before due to required extra insulation IIRC. What fit last time gallon wise may not fit this time. Check the actual dimensions not the capacity. Mine blew out Thanksgiving of 2019 and they were able to mediate the water damage and dry everything out and replace the WH, but no repairs done to the house. We are both on the COVID high risk list and don't let anyone in the house.
    I like to put a wooden "stool" under them when I install one and usually cut off barrel for a catch basin under it. Only have to "need" it once to feel like a genius.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I like to put a wooden "stool" under them when I install one and usually cut off barrel for a catch basin under it. Only have to "need" it once to feel like a genius.

The plumber installed a pan under everything that is drained to the outside yard in the new install. I installed the last one 17 years ago. Pans weren't really known to me then. Good thing to have though as it flooded the whole first floor of my house when the tank let go and it just kept filling and spilling until I shut the main off in the morning. A basin would have done no good. That only really helps if the drain valve is leaking, which is common. I had such a time this time trying to get a 50 gallon stuffed back into the closet. Next time gas tankless.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Mine is located in the garage. And when it failed the last time, and started leaking, it went right out the garage, since the floor has a little bit of slope to it.

Mine also in the garage along a common wall to my living room. Flooded garage and first floor. It had all night. Tank must have split and water run all night.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mine also in the garage along a common wall to my living room. Flooded garage and first floor. It had all night. Tank must have split and water run all night.

Mine is located on an outside wall, and luckily it was just leaking from the element fitting, so for about a week until I could replace it, I shut the water and the breaker off when it wasn't being used.

Luckily, I was able to back into the garage with the new one to unload it, and load the old one to haul it off. It was still a PITA to replace.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I noticed something when quickly looking over the specs of the electric vs gas tankless heaters. Huge price difference for one. The on gas one I checked had a 15 year warranty vs the 1/5 year for the electric. Is that common?

Top Bottom