• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had an odd interaction many years ago at a meat counter. I asked for pastrami. The girl asked "Beef or turkey?" to which I responded "Pastrami."

It took a minute to work out. I hope we both learned something.
    I guess I over think it from my humble starts in a meat counter deli. If you ask for "ham", "turkey" or say "salami" the counter help should just know what the phuc you mean.

Dealing with the general public means dealing with lots versions of tards. A few examples
    What kind of salami would you like? Reglo.
    What color American cheese ? Jello.
    How much would you like? Help a brudd'r out.
    Ho much would you like? .50 cents worth.
    What kind of ham would you like? Beef.

Raw meat was another level of ignorance. I once had a lady wanting pork chops because there were none out in the case. Turned out loin meant lion and she didn't want no got damn lion chops & I was racist for having them in her hood.
    Guns International

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Such 'tardness' goes for fruit too.

The folks at the check out counter (at almost any grocery store) have no clue if it's a 'delicious' apple or a 'winesap' or a 'macintosh'- they're so clueless, the damn things have to have little stick on signs on them so they can scan/identify them...and they don't know an avocado from a pineapple...ok, ok, that one they do know...mostly.

Back to 'weird foods' that you've never conquered your fear of: For me it's 'Limburger cheese'.

I brought a chunk of that dangerous stuff up to my lips, smelled it and almost hurled.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Such 'tardness' goes for fruit too.

The folks at the check out counter (at almost any grocery store) have no clue if it's a 'delicious' apple or a 'winesap' or a 'macintosh'- they're so clueless, the damn things have to have little stick on signs on them so they can scan/identify them...and they don't know an avocado from a pineapple...ok, ok, that one they do know...mostly.

Back to 'weird foods' that you've never conquered your fear of: For me it's 'Limburger cheese'.

I brought a chunk of that dangerous stuff up to my lips, smelled it and almost hurled.
    Pumpernickel bread with Limburger with thin sliced red onion. The onion smells helps big time.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Another weird food - Sea Turtle (I don't know the specific turtle it was, but that it was a Sea Turtle of some kine and legal to harvest as they raise them there for human consumption)

While on a scuba diving trip in the Grand Caymens turtle was on the menu in one of the restaurants..

Very tasty, mild, and quite similar to beef.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I see none of you Yankee wannabes have mentioned the Medina County delicacy: parisa!

Parisa is fantastic. Get it from Schott's Meat Market on Culebra Rd in San Antonio or the location in Helotes.

Scoop it with Fritos scoops. Leave your saltines at home.

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I see none of you Yankee wannabes have mentioned the Medina County delicacy: parisa!

Parisa is fantastic. Get it from Schott's Meat Market on Culebra Rd in San Antonio or the location in Helotes.

Scoop it with Fritos scoops. Leave your saltiness at home.
    Never heard of it. I pass by a schotts on my way to Bandera. I will have to try it

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wonder if that little place a couple of blocks northeast of the 90 bridge over the river in Castroville is still there.

Mercy, did I love parisa as a kid.

ETE - Disregard the location above. I'm confusing the place my mom got parisa with Haby's bakery. Now it's gonna bug me all day until I remember where she used to get parisa.

ETA 2 -
    Medina County delicacy: parisa!
    Thanks for reminding me that growing up I'm Medina county wasn't 100% terrible. Just 99%, I suppose. :)

Last edited:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have tried many foods, some I continue to eat and some are verboten. Gator is good, octopus not so much. I'll pass on sea urchin and sea cucumber, calamari is excellent whether rings or a steak. Scrapple no thanks. Liver, heart, kidneys, brains etc. are part of the gut pile. One memory from childhood that I suppress is hot dogs cooked in sauerkraut served over mashed potatoes. Mother cooked it up every other week on Thursday as dad got paid on Friday. To this day I cannot eat kraut.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I miss those Jack in the Box tacos. I visited CA years ago and they were 3 for $1.00.
    Would never get near them these days - I'm too fat to risk that old temptation.
    In high school it costs $2.70 for 3 super tacos, a super scoop and a medium coke. Actually, I miss their old chicken supreme sandwich that was probably discontinued in the late 1980s.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom