• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The Africa thread talk of eating zebra reminded me that I have in fact, eaten horse meat.

My grandparents were very poor. They received various canned goods from the .gov (state version) back in the early 70's. One of the meals I had when we visited was canned horse meat. VERY stringy, odd taste but with some strong gravy it was OK.
    They used to sell it on base at the commissary (horse meat). I heard about kangaroo meat too but I don't think they have it anymore.
    Military Camp

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Scrapple. Excellent sliced thin and fried until it creates a crust. Served with a side of eggs and potatoes. Tastes like a cross between bacon and sausage....just with a couple extra "parts".

View attachment 387373
    Scrapple is the fancy rich man's version of fried mush. Growing up every so often my dad's poor white trash childhood would have him making mush. Your basic mush is boiled cornmeal that's put not a loaf pan. After it sets up firm its sliced and pan fried in oil or preferably bacon grease or lard. Served up with butter & syrup.

Scrapple is basically mush with pork sausage in it, fried up like mush. I made it few times & the wife hated it as much as making plain mush.

I like grits, but like them savory. Grits with a bunch crumbled bacon or breakfast sausage crumbled into it, is how I like my grits. Properly made Low Country Shrimp & Grits are great but just to much work for breakfast.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My mother used to boil a pork roast until it fell apart in the pot, then added corn meal, flour, and spices (mainly red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic power, and salt). Cooked it till it was thick, then scraped and packed it into a squarish mold like a bread pan, when it cooled it was like Polenta for consistency. Sliced thinnish and fried, we mostly ate it as a breakfast side.

She made it like her German mother and called it Panna...

I make a variation that is easier, using pork breakfast sausage that I cook in a large fry pan with water, then add corn meal, flour, and spices, and cook until the consistency is very thick, then scrape and pack it into a mold.

Nearly as good as Mom's, but quicker and easier. Makes a nice change from bacon, or sausage.

Not really weird...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Scrapple is the fancy rich man's version of fried mush. Growing up every so often my dad's poor white trash childhood would have him making mush. Your basic mush is boiled cornmeal that's put not a loaf pan. After it sets up firm its sliced and pan fried in oil or preferably bacon grease or lard. Served up with butter & syrup.

Scrapple is basically mush with pork sausage in it, fried up like mush. I made it few times & the wife hated it as much as making plain mush.

I like grits, but like them savory. Grits with a bunch crumbled bacon or breakfast sausage crumbled into it, is how I like my grits. Properly made Low Country Shrimp & Grits are great but just to much work for breakfast.
    While I was still typing baboon beat me to it...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While dating my wifeI'd made Escargot. I had 2 dozen shells that I used & bought the snails in cans. A good bottle Champagne, a loaf of French bread &escargot.Eventually I gutted of maintaining the shells & repacked escargot with mussels.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Do you have a brand you prefer?

I notice that Pedigree chicken pate smells very similar to Armour chicken vienna sausages...
    My wife accused me of eating dog food every time I opened a can of corned beef or roast beef hash. Either one with poached eggs & I'm a happy guy. I will order that every time I see it at a restaurant.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My wife accused me of eating dog food every time I opened a can of corned beef or roast beef hash. Either one with poached eggs & I'm a happy guy. I will order that every time I see it at a restaurant.
    I like either of those scrambled with eggs w/wo potatoes.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Escargot anyone?

They're quite tasty little chunks along with loads of fresh garlic, butter sopped up with crusty French bread.
    Okay. You asked for it.

There was once a snail who paid 300 grand to buy a '72 Hemi Challenger in original and mint condition. He took it to a custom paint shop and told them to paint a large "S" on the side. The shop said "Man, or you should you want to do that to a mint '72 Challenger that is all original? You're gonna kill the value!" The snail replied, "Yep. When I go flying down the street I want people to stare and say 'Man, look at the S car go!' "

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Okay. You asked for it.

There was once a snail who paid 300 grand to buy a '72 Hemi Challenger in original and mint condition. He took it to a custom paint shop and told them to paint a large "S" on the side. The shop said "Man, or you should you want to do that to a mint '72 Challenger that is all original? You're gonna kill the value!" The snail replied, "Yep. When I go flying down the street I want people to stare and say 'Man, look at the S car go!' "
    Trading Places.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Corned Beef Hash is great for a campfire breakfast. My favorite corned beef rendition has the be a "Rueben" sandwich. Corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, thousand Island dressing, on toasted rye.

Top Bottom