• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    My maternal grandmother did that. I loved it.
    My mom did it when I was a kid.

It’s bar food. Gallon jars of pickled eggs and chunks of ring bologna. I liked the bologna.
    Really? Never saw it in a bar but I could find it in any grocery store in Michigan growing up. The pickled eggs I have seen in bars up there. Just nasty
    DK Firearms

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Back in my bass fishing days, there was a club member who ate olive bologna on raisin bread with mayo sandwiches .

Worked with a guy who liked fried liver with peanut butter.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Of livers, I like chicken the most, but most of the organ meats I enjoy.

Trouble is: I don't have a source for chicken liver I trust.

One of the best dishes at a good Japanese is Bacon Wrapped 'Rumaki' (chicken liver).

Hell, I just ate and the thought of 'Rumaki' makes me hungry...
    Wild Cod liver ... from Iceland.
    Open a can a week: 1/2 one day, the other 1/2 next day.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    my grand mother use to cook calf brains with scrambled eggs i ate it a few times but didn't really care for it!
    Seems that was a common dish back in the day, my mother said they had it growing up on the farm.
    My dad told her he would leave if she every cooked that dish .

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    And how about menudo, I had it once over at a friend’s house, his wife was from Mexico.
    She served up a large bowl to me , So as not to insult her I ate it.
    IMG_4586.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    my grand mother use to cook calf brains with scrambled eggs i ate it a few times but didn't really care for it!
    The go-to breakfast diner in the little town where I grew up did a brisk business in plates of eggs and brains. The only controversy around it was the way some of the old guys would smother it in ketchup.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Never cared for the taste or texture of any kind of liver in any shape, form or fashion. I loved to smell the smothered liver and onions my day used to cook. Made my mouth water but the taste always ruined it for me. I've eaten most parts of the cow and really only prefer the "normal" cuts you can buy in a butcher shop. I do however love chicken fried sweetbreads. Ive eated brains and tongue and they are not anything I would make a special trip to eat. I've eaten a lot of things that are pickled (pigs feet, eggs, ect.) especially after I have had a more than normal input of adult beverages. I do love me some pickled okra and jalapeno's though. I really enjoy frog legs, fried or BBQed Oysters on the halfshell, crawfish. I could live on any kind of seafood. Ive eaten all kinds of wild game and my Grandad had a recipe for armadillo that was to die for. Rattlesnake is really good if prepared properly. If the world food supplies ever shut down, I can easily survive off what mother nature offers us.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Never cared for the taste or texture of any kind of liver in any shape, form or fashion. I loved to smell the smothered liver and onions my day used to cook. Made my mouth water but the taste always ruined it for me. I've eaten most parts of the cow and really only prefer the "normal" cuts you can buy in a butcher shop. I do however love chicken fried sweetbreads. Ive eated brains and tongue and they are not anything I would make a special trip to eat. I've eaten a lot of things that are pickled (pigs feet, eggs, ect.) especially after I have had a more than normal input of adult beverages. I do love me some pickled okra and jalapeno's though. I really enjoy frog legs, fried or BBQed Oysters on the halfshell, crawfish. I could live on any kind of seafood. Ive eaten all kinds of wild game and my Grandad had a recipe for armadillo that was to die for. Rattlesnake is really good if prepared properly. If the world food supplies ever shut down, I can easily survive off what mother nature offers us.
    liver and onions ijust something i never got a taste for i know lots of people that like it though!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    liver and onions ijust something i never got a taste for i know lots of people that like it though!

Same here. Dont like heart either.

My wife thought that was weird considering all the weird stuff I was ok with eating. But it was the taste with liver, just dont care for it. And there is not enough gravy to mask that taste. Especially when its made with the juice from the liver.

That also helped me realize I likely won't like blood sausage either.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That also helped me realize I likely won't like blood sausage either.

Yeah, considering how I enjoy haggis, I figured I'd give black pudding (blood sausage) a try while we were in Scotland. Figured hey, one supposedly scary food is a tasty treat, let's try the other one! So the first day at the breakfast buffet I put some on my plate.

Yeah...black pudding tastes like blood. Like trying to eat a scab. It was disgusting. Luckily there was some haggis, bacon, eggs, smoked salmon and orange juice to get the taste out of my mouth.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yikes!

Back to eating raw oysters, which I've done and found them merely ok..., but l prefer them fried.

Not only (to me) do they taste better fried, the chance of eating a raw includes the potential eating of Vibrio Vulnicus: Most Vibrio infections from oysters result in mild illness, including diarrhea and vomiting. However, people with a Vibrio vulnificus infection can get very sick. As many as 1 in 5 people with a Vibrio vulnificus infection die.

Given that tidbit of information, I steer way clear of eating raw oysters.

I don't think anyone's mentioned eating squid. I love it battered and fried!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I don't think anyone's mentioned eating squid. I love it battered and fried!

Fried calamari is delicious - if it's fresh and not overcooked. If it's not good, then it's like eating rubber washers. Squid (and octopus) sushi can be good, but it can also be rubbery. Gotta be fresh. But I'm not gonna eat a live one like some folks in Japan and China will.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Fried calamari is delicious - if it's fresh and not overcooked. If it's not good, then it's like eating rubber washers. Squid (and octopus) sushi can be good, but it can also be rubbery. Gotta be fresh. But I'm not gonna eat a live one like some folks in Japan and China will.

Yep. Love fried calamari. Especially from a quality seafood restaurant.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The Africa thread talk of eating zebra reminded me that I have in fact, eaten horse meat.

My grandparents were very poor. They received various canned goods from the .gov (state version) back in the early 70's. One of the meals I had when we visited was canned horse meat. VERY stringy, odd taste but with some strong gravy it was OK.

Top Bottom