• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ah, yes! Not canned, but...I love corned beef and cabbage. Get some nice sliced onions and potatoes in the crock pot with it and cook it up all day...wash it down with a good Irish beer. A delicious meal that makes you feel good afterward.
    Smoke one, better yet buy 2 & turn one into pastrami & the smoke them both. I'll post you a picture from my phone of a perfectly smoked one.

There was a bar back home that served up awesome lunches. Corned beef day was a pound of meat, a handful of potatoes, huge wedge of boiled cabbage 2 slices of buttered bread for $3.99 in the late 70's.

Reactions: gll

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Smoke one, better yet buy 2 & turn one into pastrami & the smoke them both. I'll post you a picture from my phone of a perfectly smoked one.

There was a bar back home that served up awesome lunches. Corned beef day was a pound of meat, a handful of potatoes, huge wedge of boiled cabbage 2 slices of buttered bread for $3.99 in the late 70's.

Ah, pastrami...perhaps the nastiest meat product I ever tasted. Not sure what it is that turns one into the other, but I'll pass on that one. I worked in an HEB deli for a while and the stench of the pastrami was horrible when someone would want some sliced.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ah, pastrami...perhaps the nastiest meat product I ever tasted. Not sure what it is that turns one into the other, but I'll pass on that one. I worked in an HEB deli for a while and the stench of the pastrami was horrible when someone would want some sliced.
    The turkey version not real pastrami!

Black Pepper, coriander seeds & powdered, mustard seeds & powder, cumin seeds & powder, paprika & brown sugar rubbed in t corned beef.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Black Pepper, coriander seeds & powdered, mustard seeds & powder, cumin seeds & powder, paprika & brown sugar rubbed in t corned beef.

It wasn't turkey pastrami, I promise. The ingredients sound delicious, but the end product is revolting to me. I'll stick to proper corned beef and cabbage.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Wonder what you would want after having ate a proper Chicago Italian Beef & or beef & sausage combo.
    Say what you will about Portillo's but they deliver frozen Beefs, Combos, and Chicago Dogs across the lower 48 via UPS. I currently have some sitting in my freezer for a rainy day.
    1684121750009.png

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Say what you will about Portillo's but they deliver frozen Beefs, Combos, and Chicago Dogs across the lower 48 via UPS. I currently have some sitting in my freezer for a rainy day.
    View attachment 387773
    Portillo’s was where my sister dragged me on one visit home. Their food was slightly better than her cooking.

I have made it doing without Chicago dogs & Italian beef’s this long that I just don’t see it in my future.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Portillo’s was where my sister dragged me on one visit home. Their food was slightly better than her cooking.

I have made it doing without Chicago dogs & Italian beef’s this long that I just don’t see it in my future.
    Obviously, it's very commercial now but it'll do. Last time I tried to find a beef around here they tried to sell me a cheesesteak.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I had an odd interaction many years ago at a meat counter. I asked for pastrami. The girl asked "Beef or turkey?" to which I responded "Pastrami."

It took a minute to work out. I hope we both learned something.

Top Bottom