• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If your family was poor from Poland as mine was you would know real food, tongue as per mowing man, sweetbreads, liver, heart, lung, kidney, even chicken feet. Can't say I like all of it but it was standard diet growing up. Best now is smoked beef tongue.
    I remember my one manager bringing in sweetbreads for the service meat case. At that time cost was .99cents per pound. I also remember when Houston chef Robert Del Grande was the hottest chef in Houston. I took the wife to Cafe Annie over in the Gallaria for a wedding anniversary. He had Sweetbreads on the menu for $23.00 + changeI doubt that entree had a full pound of them. I like them every way I have had them from sautéed in butter to pan seared to smoked & grilled. They make killer tacos.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I agree. Chicken Box in Wichita Falls, Korean food plus great chicken, livers, gizzards, and Korean dishes. We order smoked tongues from back east. Can't find beef tongue in stores.
    HEB has them they might keep them frozen depending on if they sell. Most Mexican met markets have them. Give me a big fat New York deli tongue sammich or tongue tacos. Boars head use to sell whole smoked tongue.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Often, I read of hunters on the site shooting deer, but nary a word is ever mentioned of eating deer tongue, liver, heart, just all thrown away in a gut pile.

A real waste of great meat...sigh.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You must not like being around people do you? Are you olfactory challenged? That sounds like it might, just a slight chance, smell better than kimchi.

If you're aware of the mythos surrounding the Sasquatch, you know we are indeed known for our aromatic scent which is a blessing and a curse. Women flock to the musky, masculine odor, and if they were not already in estrus, they will be in short order. The downside - the general public has come to know what we smell like, so we must hide, and occasionally bathe to wash away that musk lest we be hunted to extinction.

You should see what happens when I eat lamb, or spicy Thai food...

Before pouring the syrup on, I cover my pancakes or waffles with peanut butter.

I wouldn't count that as weird, lots of folks do it. Its good stuff. You could also substitute the maple syrup for chocolate (good stuff, not Hershey's nasty stuff) and you're basically eating a peanutbutter cup waffle.

Also - try cooking bacon bits in your waffe some time. Next level good stuff.

Don't think this is too uncommon, but it turns grosses my family out - grab a Jar of PB & box of Animal Crackers or Nilla Wafers, park it in the easy chair...then holler for a glass of water just before I choke. :-)

My wife thinks I'm nuts because I can do that - or just eat a spoon full of peanutbutter straight out the jar, by itself.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I read about sweetbreads - I've only had them once and I did like them - this is French (the people that cook anything that crawls, swims or flies) and is the salivary gland of a calf I believe. Very rich - mostly fat really, but tasty.

I love sushi but many now do. One food that I don't think too many folks enjoy is creamed herring. My dad was from Iowa and he loved the stuff - I remember going to restaurants that had good salad bars and he would always get a big glop of that on his plate - which made me want to try it. I like it.

Up north further, the Norwegian imports like lutefisk and lefsa which is fish preserved with lye and potato pancake things. I've never had them... even though I lived in Minneapolis for 7 years...

Another thing I remember from my stint up north was the smelt run and those in Wisconsin in particular frying them up and eating them in season. Small anchovy sized fish.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "Tilapia & Bassa Swai are 2 more fish you want to avoid."

I've read that before though, I have no familiarity with 'Bass Swai'.

But, there's are many fish we're now warned to only eat once a week, tuna being one of the many.

I guess a dose of mercury once a week is ok...?

If I recall correctly, King Mackerel is another once a weeker...

But, I've also been advised to quit eating 'red meat', I'll live longer I was told...but, it would only 'feel' like I've lived longer.

Two docs advised me to quit eating red meat...I think you can guess where I'm going with this...

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    My wife does the PB pancake waffle thing. I'm more traditional. Butter and syrup OR fruit and whipped cream.

Breakfast side note: I'll eat "maple" flavored links, sausage, and bacon if I have to but I don't know why people purposefully buy that crap.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My wife does the PB pancake waffle thing. I'm more traditional. Butter and syrup OR fruit and whipped cream.

Breakfast side note: I'll eat "maple" flavored links, sausage, and bacon if I have to but I don't know why people purposefully buy that crap.
    Maple syrup is a very common ingredient in curing bacon. I use. 1/4 cup of real maple syrup in my bacon. I have also used a 1/4 cup of Burbon.

Top Bottom