• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    The question is, was the dearth of guns due to depleted inventory on the part of the FFLs? I know there was a story in our local (College Station) paper on one of the local shops, and their inventory was down to about 25% of normal, and most of that was Fudd rifles/shotguns. If a dealer is down that low on inventory, it's not worth his while to take anything to a gun show.

Ammo at this point is so back-ordered that I doubt many of them will be at the shows, either. In 2008/9, I was stationed in NC. Georgia Arms is usually a fixture at gun shows from Virginia to Alabma, but I don't think I saw them at either the Raleigh or Fayetteville shows in 2009 before I left for Af-stan in May, or at the one show while I was home on R&R in Feb 2010. They were back by July 2010.

I saw on FB from a friend who works at a gun store in Utah that SiG has such a huge pile of backorders that they've stopped accepting orders, just like Ruger did not that long ago. Another FB hearsay source reported that several ammo suppliers have reported that they don't expect to clear their backlogs before the end of the year.

So, if I want to get top dollar for a converted Saiga-12, which do ya'll think would be better - the Conroe show, the Premier Show @ Stafford, or the HGCA show?

I've got a 3-gun match (weather permitting) the weekend of the next show @ GRB.
    Texas SOT

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    The question is, was the dearth of guns due to depleted inventory on the part of the FFLs? I know there was a story in our local (College Station) paper on one of the local shops, and their inventory was down to about 25% of normal, and most of that was Fudd rifles/shotguns. If a dealer is down that low on inventory, it's not worth his while to take anything to a gun show.

Ammo at this point is so back-ordered that I doubt many of them will be at the shows, either. In 2008/9, I was stationed in NC. Georgia Arms is usually a fixture at gun shows from Virginia to Alabma, but I don't think I saw them at either the Raleigh or Fayetteville shows in 2009 before I left for Af-stan in May, or at the one show while I was home on R&R in Feb 2010. They were back by July 2010.

I saw on FB from a friend who works at a gun store in Utah that SiG has such a huge pile of backorders that they've stopped accepting orders, just like Ruger did not that long ago. Another FB hearsay source reported that several ammo suppliers have reported that they don't expect to clear their backlogs before the end of the year.

So, if I want to get top dollar for a converted Saiga-12, which do ya'll think would be better - the Conroe show, the Premier Show @ Stafford, or the HGCA show?

I've got a 3-gun match (weather permitting) the weekend of the next show @ GRB.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    I have a feeling it was a mix of higher prices on a few of the tables that I stopped to look at pistols at and a lack of inventory. Usually at the bigger dealer tables you saw a stack of gun cases in the middle of their booth. I didnt see anything like that at Pasadena. Seemed like what was on the table was all that they had and at that the tables were sparse. usually the table is full edge to edge and end to end with pistols and the rifles and such are stacked a few deep. Even the bolt action rifles seemed to be one per and maybe two per at best. Shotguns seemed to be down from 4 or 5 deep under the display gun to 1 maybe 2 deep.

For selling your gun. I don't know. I have never been to the Stafford show and the Conroe show is I would say a little smaller than Pasadena. I am thinking about hitting both if the SIG that I am looking at selling doesnt move at Stafford. And thats the other thing. At Pasadena there were a lot of guys standing around holding AR platform guns with for sale signs on them. And I didnt see much in the way of deals going on. Maybe I just missed them all as I was walking around. I hope I missed them as I was walking around.

As far as the HGCA show, the one show I have attended that they sponsored I don't remember seeing anyone walking around with guns for sale. Not sure if they have rules against it or I was just so intent on looking for what I came for on the tables that I missed it. You might want to visit their page and see what they have to say about it.

H.G.C.A. - Houston Gun Collectors Association

Radioman

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    The web page doesn't say anything, so I sent them an email.

I remember when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA, you had to be a member to buy/sell guns at the Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) shows.

cooltouch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I'm just getting back into doing things with my gun collection after a rather long hiatus, and I really don't like what I've been seeing recently. I was a licensed dealer back in the days of the Feinstein assault weapons ban's passage and had a front-row seat, watching the craziness that ensued from that business at the various gun shows I attended. This time around feels different, though. I sense more desperation, but also a sort of despondency. Honestly, I find it deeply troubling.

I'll be attending the Stafford gun show this weekend. I don't really have a list of anything to buy, other than more ammo if I can find any at affordable prices (hah!). But one thing I do want to do is just spend some time walking around and watching the people there -- both dealers and customers -- and see what the common mood is.

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    I just got back from the Stafford show.

$950 for 1000 rounds of PMC .223, at least two vendors.

$395 for 1000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39.

No bites on my converted Saiga-12 at $1200.

Edit: Oh yeah, CMMG complete lower w/M4 buttstock, $499.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom