Capitol Armory ad

What caliber of ammo are you seeing in the store these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Got curious of which, mainly handgun, calibers aren't selling so hot right now.

Not counting hunting rifle or shotshells or madhouse rush on common caliber delivery day, What are you folks seeing out there?

Oddly enough I'm seeing a fair amount of .44Magnum and .41 Magnum.
    Guns International

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What I have seen left on the shelves, sometimes for a day or two, has been mostly FMJ 50 round or larger boxes of 9mm and 45 ACP, some 380 (only once or twice for the 3980 each of those stores in months) and they sell very quickly for the most part - you usually have to be there right after the store opens - but sometimes there is some left over the next morning when they got in a lot of any of those calibers. What sometimes is there for a longer while, of 9mm, are those 20 round boxes of Hornady Black or Winchester Silvertip or other brands of JHP in those small boxes.

The ammo I saw that lasted the longest was Hornady 9mm. Academy Sports had 3 boxes (I think 2 of 20 rounds and 1 of 25 rounds) of Hornady 9mm in a black plastic pistol case (not sure but I think 2 boxes of practice rounds and 1 of JHP) and also had 2 boxes (20 or 25 rounds) in a tumbler (as in a drinking vessel). I think most folks did not realize that each of those items contained ammo and they were both in stock for a few to several days before selling out. Both were a rip off as far as I am concerned, the one with the pistol case, I think, was the worse of the two because it claimed on the package that the case was a more or less $15.00 value which was a crock of crapola in my opinion.

Other ammo that has been there at least two days, often shot in pistols but also in rifles) has been 22 Short and oddly enough 22 LR (which was there once for at least three days but sold quickly other times).

Oh, one other caliber I have seen that does not seem to sell well when they get it is 32 AUTO. That is - at least it does not sell well until I see it. If their price is more or less decent compared to current online prices I will scoop up 5 to 10 boxes as I have 3 pistols in 32 and my son has one (an Ortgies I just had transferred to him this past Monday).

Other than that, any pistol calibers I have seen see sell pretty fast.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    All that is left daily in the Abilene Academy is a few rifle calibres - 25-06, 300 WSM, 350 Rem, and the odd box of 5.45x39 - and shotgun shells. I have not seen .17 or .22 there in weeks. There were three boxes of Sierra 9mm self defense rounds the other night but that was the only pistol ammo I have seen left there in weeks.

Went to Walmart to get their chocolate chip cookies for my lady friend the other day and they had about the same rifle ammo calibres and a little shotgun ammo. No 22 at all.

Some of the pawnshops still have ammunition in various calibres but their prices were bad before the covid.

There are some shops that sprang up during the '12-'13 crunch that still have some ammo and dole it out to their regular customers. I make a circuit a couple of times a month and garner two boxes here and three boxes there. They also provided a good supply of reloading supplies during the last crunch as well.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Still seeing 10mm at Academy just sitting, that's it for pistol.
    Rifle calibers 458 Bushmaster, 270 Win, 243 win, 30-06. All on the shelves for at least a week. It's deer season too. Figured those would be snagged up.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Still seeing 10mm at Academy just sitting, that's it for pistol.
    Rifle calibers 458 Bushmaster, 270 Win, 243 win, 30-06. All on the shelves for at least a week. It's deer season too. Figured those would be snagged up.
    Which Academy has 10mm? I bought 750 rds of JHP but I need more practice ammo.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    To be honest, I have hardly even looked. Last time I went in for some shotgun ammo, they had a few boxes of 7.62x39 and some .22 Super Colibris. The time before, they had some Hornady Black 6.5 Grendel - got a couple more boxes of that.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    $1145 for 1000 rnds of 124 grain Federal welcome to Bidenism on gunbroker

2975FE20-4B3D-4BF9-9C13-EEFE5C5F0D39.gif

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter