What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I finally ran out of my tube of Lee case lube that came with my press (only took 10 years) so I started shopping for easier/cheaper alternatives. Ran across a tub of hornady case lube that had the advertisement on the lid that it could also be used as a leather conditioner. When I opened it, I knew exactly what it was. Cabelas wanted $10 for it. I ran across this at academy for $3. Works like a charm, is easier to apply and smells alot better too!

ab60adb1f1c83b01ad4c065ac0adbb3b.jpg

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
    Texas SOT

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Finished getting 308 ready to load (I had left to trim, chamfer, and debur). Also straightened up some of my brass.

Gonna spend the next few days out at the Farm with the pet kid. We’ll do some ammo testing.

1c016d645bb85219ef7fba99a91a13a1.jpg

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I always use Hornady One Shot. It's really fast to go on and leaves no mess in my dies.

I bought my .264 Creedmoor dies yesterday. Had an Academy gift card, and they only had Hornady dies. I even checked online. No Lee.

I'm sure they are good, but they are almost twice as tall as most of my Lee dies. And they only have two dies. No crimping die. I'm never buying another set of dies that are not Lee dies.

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I always use Hornady One Shot. It's really fast to go on and leaves no mess in my dies.

I bought my .264 Creedmoor dies yesterday. Had an Academy gift card, and they only had Hornady dies. I even checked online. No Lee.

I'm sure they are good, but they are almost twice as tall as most of my Lee dies. And they only have two dies. No crimping die. I'm never buying another set of dies that are Lee dies.
    Im guessing you meant arent lee dies?

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I'm sure they are good, but they are almost twice as tall as most of my Lee dies. And they only have two dies. No crimping die. I'm never buying another set of dies that are Lee dies.

I have a factory crimp die that I will most likely never use. Well, it might get used for crimping a "set round" that I keep around in case I need to change my seating die and put it back later. But I can send it to you if you want. I bought the Lee Deluxe set so I could get the collet die and it was included.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tested my 2 loads for the .264. First was the 42.7gr load followed by the 42.1gr load.

Mirage was terrible to the point I couldn't make out the individual orange diamonds on the target. Looked more like a dancing orange blur so I'm not sure the groups really told me anything. But I saw some light cratering on the primers of the 42.7gr load so decided to sacrifice the ~25fps for the lighter load that would be easier on the brass. 9 rounds came in at .65moa, I didn't count the last as I knew I had jacked one and it showed on paper.

Gonna load some more of the 42.1gr load and try to get out early this weekend to shoot. Hopefully the group closes up under better conditions. If not, it's still not too bad for a factory rifle with 50 rounds down the pipe. Hoping it will close up to around .5moa for 10 round groups.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Tested my 2 loads for the .264. First was the 42.7gr load followed by the 42.1gr load.

Mirage was terrible to the point I couldn't make out the individual orange diamonds on the target. Looked more like a dancing orange blur so I'm not sure the groups really told me anything. But I saw some light cratering on the primers of the 42.7gr load so decided to sacrifice the ~25fps for the lighter load that would be easier on the brass. 9 rounds came in at .65moa, I didn't count the last as I knew I had jacked one and it showed on paper.

Gonna load some more of the 42.1gr load and try to get out early this weekend to shoot. Hopefully the group closes up under better conditions. If not, it's still not too bad for a factory rifle with 50 rounds down the pipe. Hoping it will close up to around .5moa for 10 round groups.

Do you plan to try loads in smaller increments? (40.9, 41.2,41.03)

I usually do kind of what you did, but I plan to try to dial in a couple of my rounds a little tighter. 243 and 6.5 are the two. 243 is around 3/4 inch, but I think I might be able to get it tighter. The 6.5 is one I want to do that with too, because I plan to shoot it at much longer ranges.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Do you plan to try loads in smaller increments? (40.9, 41.2,41.03)

I usually do kind of what you did, but I plan to try to dial in a couple of my rounds a little tighter. 243 and 6.5 are the two. 243 is around 3/4 inch, but I think I might be able to get it tighter. The 6.5 is one I want to do that with too, because I plan to shoot it at much longer ranges.

I haven't shot a .1gr different. I did test 42.3 and it wasn't anything special. I could test at 42 and 42.2 but will need to do it under really good conditions. Otherwise i start having trouble differentiating between the shooter and the load. 41.8 had about twice the vertical spread of the 42.1 gr load but falls back in line if I remove 1 round that fell outside the group. Possible shooter error, hard to tell with small sample size. Decided to run with the 42.1 since I'm happy to take the extra velocity if results are equal. It was windy so I mostly ignored the horizontal. Most groups were basically a horizontal line.

May change up my plan for this weekend and shoot both sides of 42.1 and see what it does. Feel like I'm reaching the point where my shooting ability will be the true deciding factor in the groups, choosing the one I screw up less, lol.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Loaded up some 147gn 9mm on the Dillon because it was already set up for it before I changed it to 300 blackout. It's almost too easy to load with this press.

Top Bottom