Hurley's Gold

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    A couple of years ago I bought some 32rimfire nail gun blanks at an estate sale. Today I pulled the plastic plug,dumped out powder, filled the cases with 11grains of FFF black powder and seated a .300 lead ball.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Worked on reloading some more 9mm. My Dillon and I are not fans of 9mm.
    Hmm. My cheap little Lee pro1000 seems to do good with them. Weird.

All joking aside I actually size on a single stage and use a hand priming tool. Pretty much take the hard parts away from the p1k... But after that the pro1000 does great!

Speaking of, got a 45 colt/454 roll crimp die in the mail today. Setup the p1k to run a batch of 460mags. Need to prime the brass first by hand though. drop powder, seat bullet, then crimp. Lee sells a collet crimp for the 460 but using that in the 3rd spot on the press will put strain on the carrier and eff it up. Been there, learned from that whole mess.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Picked 2 loads out of the 10 I tested for .264 Creedmore and loaded 10 rounds of each for further testing.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Hmm. My cheap little Lee pro1000 seems to do good with them. Weird.

All joking aside I actually size on a single stage and use a hand priming tool. Pretty much take the hard parts away from the p1k... But after that the pro1000 does great!

Speaking of, got a 45 colt/454 roll crimp die in the mail today. Setup the p1k to run a batch of 460mags. Need to prime the brass first by hand though. drop powder, seat bullet, then crimp. Lee sells a collet crimp for the 460 but using that in the 3rd spot on the press will put strain on the carrier and eff it up. Been there, learned from that whole mess.

The Lee 1000 I had never fed primers right. Id use it to size/deprime, hand prime, then run them through again to finish loading. Finally sols it and bought a lwe turret press. Ir works great and is about as fast considering there is no double processing.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The Lee 1000 I had never fed primers right. Id use it to size/deprime, hand prime, then run them through again to finish loading. Finally sols it and bought a lwe turret press. Ir works great and is about as fast considering there is no double processing.

I'm kinda digging the new Lee 4 station progressive that's coming out in a few weeks. The only thing I don't like is that it uses the Lee quick change bushings instead of a turret. I'm thinking of selling the p1k and buying one of those with a whole bunch of bushings. Or maybe keeping the p1k for my 9mm setup.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Reaming primer pockets on some 223 brass tonight. I can usually only do a handful before the case mouths start hurting my hand. Tonight I grabbed a 3/8 drive 1/2" socket and held it in my hands to help cup the brass and keep it from slicing me up. I got through a ton more this way. Gonna have to find something a little better though. The short wall is a little too short to hold comfortable and the deep wall s too deep to get a grip on the case and keep it from spinning. Maybe I'll go buy an extra 1/2" deep wall and just cut a half inch off the length. I'll figure something out though.

Check out this guy I found in the mix. Looks like someone went a little happy on the reaming.

View attachment 132611

Buy some tactile rubber gloves. They help a ton for those tasks.

I get them from HD

4244259f8613e28b70389db972263c98.jpg

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I'm kinda digging the new Lee 4 station progressive that's coming out in a few weeks. The only thing I don't like is that it uses the Lee quick change bushings instead of a turret. I'm thinking of selling the p1k and buying one of those with a whole bunch of bushings. Or maybe keeping the p1k for my 9mm setup.

My single stage has the bushings and they work good with it. I dont think id want them on a progressive though. Its too easy to swap the whole die plate. The reasons I got rid of the P1000 were:

1.) The primer feed never worked
    2.) It took too long to swap calibers. The dies were easy, but you still had to swap the shell holder plate, case feeder, etc.
    3.) It didnt have the ability to do smaller rifle cartridges.
    4.) I dont load the volume of pistol cartidges to make the setup time worth it. By the time I got the progressive set up, I could have loaded a couple hundred on the turret and been done.

If you are loading large quantities of one caliber/bullet size and could get the progressive to work right (especially the primer feed), it might be worth the effort. For me, it was more hassle than it was worth. Even if I got the whole thing running right, I still had to crimp the rounds seperatly (only had a 3 hole die holder).

Just recieved my long and short rifle charging dies and extra die holders for my turret press. Sure going to speed things up for .223 and 300 AAC. A quick swap of the die holder, swap the shell holder, set the powder charge and bullet depth and it is ready to rock and roll. Takes less than 5 mins to go from 9mm to .45, .223, 300 AAC, ect.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a Lee 4-hole turret. It works great for me.

I deprime and size on it. Then tumble. I like shiny brass to load with.

Then I hand prime, usually when watching TV. I put them in a sealed can with silica packs.

Sometime later I actually load them. Rarely within a week of priming.

Powder for pistol comes through the auto disk. Powder for rifle comes through the Hornady auto dispenser machine. That has saved a ton of time.

Then the bullet seating and crimping happens in the press. After I visually check the powder levels one last time, I load the bullet. I seat the bullet then rotate the dies and crimp.

I developed that process over time and it works well for me. Really glad I found that hand primer. It's very convenient.

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I deprime on my single stage with a depriming die before I tumble with SS pins. I dont like running dirty brass through my sizing dies. Might be fine, but I fear scoring the dies with grit from the brass. I tumbe, rinse, dry and place the cleaned brass in baggies with small pouches of dessicant that I get from work by the bucket full. I make the bags out of aluminum window screen so they can be baked/regenerated in the oven when saturated.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I deprime on my single stage with a depriming die before I tumble with SS pins. I dont like running dirty brass through my sizing dies. Might be fine, but I fear scoring the dies with grit from the brass. I tumbe, rinse, dry and place the cleaned brass in baggies with small pouches of dessicant that I get from work by the bucket full. I make the bags out of aluminum window screen so they can be baked/regenerated in the oven when saturated.

I deprime and SS tumble before sizing too.

I wash again after sizing to get the lube off the cases. It is worth it to me, and not too much effort.

I use containers that mixed nuts come in for storage tho. They’re pretty well made, clear plastic with a screw on lid. I use them for brass, nuts and bolts, and other garage storage & organization.

1293aead6ef6c8cae5eeba084f7a2433.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    For rifle I tumble in corn, then size and deprime. Then I do my ream, trim, and such. After that I always tmble them again a little to get off case lube and make sure there's no pokey edges anywhere. Then load.

Pistol is generally tumble, size, load, tumble again to get off any finger prints or oil.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I deprime and SS tumble before sizing too.

I wash again after sizing to get the lube off the cases. It is worth it to me, and not too much effort.

I use containers that mixed nuts come in for storage tho. They’re pretty well made, clear plastic with a screw on lid. I use them for brass, nuts and bolts, and other garage storage & organization.

View attachment 132765

Henry David Thoreau
    I have started converting over to baby formula containers. They have a flip top and are very durable. With a liytle one in the house, there are plenty of them!

cb690c776380d84ce318c9156064ce3c.jpg

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    l went to the range today and created more empty brass. Seems there were other people there that did the same thing and didn't pick up their brass. I came home with a lot of empty brass.

I also tested a 155 gr SWC load for my 1911 pistols. Awesome soft shooting load.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tested my chosen loads today. Mirage was horrible so I'm really not sure if one load truly performed better or if I just screwed it up less.

Ended up going with the 42.1gr load at .65moa. Think it will tighten up under better conditions.

The 42.7gr load
    I was recently at Academy to buy some bullets. I immediately looked for .264 when finding 6.5 Creedmoor bullets.

I giggled a little.

Gotta fight the commie scourge.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Loaded up 20 more 300 BLK rounds. 150 gr Nosler Balistic Tipped Hunting bulletz over 17 gr IMR 4227 and CCI 400 primers. OAL 2.240. Maily loaded to test out my new short powder die and set up another caliber on the turret press. Slowly building up a collection!

These are the same bullets my wife uses to hunt whitetail with a .308 Win. They have worked flawlessly on every deer she has shot. Now if I could just tempt a pig to show its face!
    6b537ef5eeb55a8e0cd573c533cef896.jpg
    0d2f608a0e1c8a6d2d1a0da0a128f4b7.jpg
    d9c6fd9961be50ec1e20117daf6f39ee.jpg

Top Bottom