ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Converted 41 pieces of .223 to 300 blk. Cut, sized, trimmed, deburred and reamed the primer pockets. The jig from www.squirreldaddy.com (ordered through ebay) makes the cutting process go much quicker and easier!!!

Just remember to set the depth stop before cutting!!! I cut into the jig slightly and if the depth stop would have been set much deeper, there is a good posibility that I could have cut my brand new jig in half!!! You can see the nick in the jig and the depth stop screw in the third pic.
    974096fec1dfc86179a61905840adcc9.jpg
    858ea2ccd356bd9684b553a594e21df8.jpg
    ae4758e822f6329162de1d57940a798a.jpg

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
    DK Firearms

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Last night, I loaded up some 110 gr 300 blk. Loaded 10 test rounds, tried cycling them, every one failed to allow the bolt to close completely in so I tossed them and gave up on the 110 gr sierras. Everything ive read said they were extremely accurate but that a lot of guns wouldnt feed them.

Tonight Im loading up another 50 .223's.
    69f75ef280b95cf77da49521bc963c8f.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    When I was loading for my ak I used the 110gr Sierra varmenters. Damn those were great bullets! The problem was that the big flat point wouldn't feed right in the AK. They would hit the bottom of the barrel before they cleared and instead of just getting the feed ramp I decided to switch to the v-max. I never could get the same accuracy. Still not bad by any means, but just not great.

Yesterday I ordered a new shell plate for my pro1000 to load 460s on it. Also ordered a Lee 2 cavity 380 mold and some new powder coat powder.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    What was off that the bolt wouldn't close???
    Im not sure exactly what caused it but after reading about how many issues others have with it, its not worth fighting. There were scratches on the case wall, case neck, and bullet.

The issues with that particular bullet in 300 blk are:

1.) They are short. Even seated to 2.000", there is only 0.16" of bullet in the case neck. Im thinking this was the main problem. When feeding, the bullet may have tweaked one way or the other warping the neck.

2.) Very short ogive. I dont think this was the issue due to the very short OAL, but it is possible that the bullet bottomed out in the chamber throat before fully seating.

3.) The short OAL coupled with the short ogive can cause feed issues in an AR anyway.

There are much better bullets out there in the 110 gr range and I can still use the sierras in my 30 carbine so thats why I say its not worth fighting.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had no issues with the 110 Vmax bullets. I talked myself out of them due to bullet weight factors, but the ones that I loaded shot and fed well.

I settled in on the Nosler BT 125g bullets. They feed well, are very accurate and I felt the heavier bullet would do more damage.

They took a deer this last deer season.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I had no issues with the 110 Vmax bullets. I talked myself out of them due to bullet weight factors, but the ones that I loaded shot and fed well.

I settled in on the Nosler BT 125g bullets. They feed well, are very accurate and I felt the heavier bullet would do more damage.

They took a deer this last deer season.
    So far, ive been really pleased with the hornady 165 gr SSTs. I just ran out of them and had the 110 gr sierra game kings on the shelf and figured id try them. Im sure glad I didnt load all 48 cases I had left to load!!! I think ill just buy another box of them and a box of 220 gr bullets to load subsonic.

Also ordered a long charging die so that I can start running .223 and 300 blk on my turret press!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    Last night, I loaded up some 110 gr 300 blk. Loaded 10 test rounds, tried cycling them, every one failed to allow the bolt to close completely in so I tossed them and gave up on the 110 gr sierras. Everything ive read said they were extremely accurate but that a lot of guns wouldnt feed them.

Tonight Im loading up another 50 .223's. View attachment 132188

Is that a glass of scotch on that loading bench?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    Matter of fact, it is! Nothing fancy, just some Dewar's White Label.

Kinda thought so. Looks like the glass on my bench except mines a little darker. Bourbon is my choice. Garrison Brothers or Maker's Mark.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    First I rammed the decapping pin from my Lyman universal decapping die into the top of my left middle finger, then I deprimed 2 quarts of 9mm brass, then I cleaned up all those primer pockets. After that I switched benches and started casting up some more of the ultimate 9mm bullet.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Kinda thought so. Looks like the glass on my bench except mines a little darker. Bourbon is my choice. Garrison Brothers or Maker's Mark.

I normally rotate through several differenf ones. Basically, whatever looks good on tge shelf. My favorite is a really good tequilla, but the one I like is damn near impossible to find in the states and about $85 a bottle (750ml).

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I normally rotate through several differenf ones. Basically, whatever looks good on tge shelf. My favorite is a really good tequilla, but the one I like is damn near impossible to find in the states and about $85 a bottle (750ml).

I'm a Rum guy. The one I like is $45 a bottle and illegal in the States.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Jose Cuervo Familia Reserva. More than your $85 bottle, but the best I've had. And, they come in a cool box.

Top Bottom