Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Good choice. I prep my cases, then prime them while I am watching TV.
    Me, too... Sometimes. Even use the right primers!

Love my 709. Eats everything I throw at it for the past 5-600 rounds and I hate DAO triggers anyway. Not to mention it was CHEAP.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
    Mine is my EDC. It's proven to be reliable. I almost bought the Ruger lc9 but chose this instead. Mags are expensive as heck though.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    New toy, getting the cheaper stuff first.
    A little heads up on that primer (or any priming tool). If you don't use shell holders made by the same company you can have issues with primer depth.

I had that one and used Lee shell holders. It would seat the primers deep and I had ignition issues with one firearm. I had to put a washer around the slider bar to limit seating depth.

It worked fine after that once I figured out the issue.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    A little heads up on that primer (or any priming tool). If you don't use shell holders made by the same company you can have issues with primer depth.

I had that one and used Lee shell holders. It would seat the primers deep and I had ignition issues with one firearm. I had to put a washer around the slider bar to limit seating depth.

It worked fine after that once I figured out the issue.
    Pretty sure I have rcbs shell holders

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I can't speak for the RCBS priming tool, but the LEE takes a completely different shell holder than a sizing press does.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    Picked up over 500 rounds of 5.56 brass today at the range. 1/2 is in the tumbler getting cleaned up for the resizing die. May be a couple weeks before I actually get it reloaded though. Next couple weeks will be busy at my shop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    Can anyone tell me with any certainty if nickel cases can be annealed in the same Manor as brass cases?

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I picked up a MP 359-125 4 cavity hollow point mold on eBay for less than half price. I'm going to go out and cast some more bullets with it today. Did some the other day but I'm still coming to terms with how to run the mold.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Loaded up some more 300gn thumpers for this guy. 44 mag cut to 16 1/2".

IMG_20180612_120607.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Haven't done anything lately, kind of at a stand still until I can get a case prep station and a trimmer. Not sure when that will be.

Also I don't really know what dies to get everyone says something else.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've had good luck with Lee dies. I have had a couple sets of hornady and a couple sets of $100 Redding dies. Haven't noticed any difference at all. Maybe the expensive dies make better rounds than my shooting ability or something.

Yesterday I took my father in law out to unload some brass. Got about 1" group with the 6.5creedmoor. I brought out the Jap but it was all over the place. I'm shooting it without the tangs because the stock is crap. Need to get a new stock and then work on the load a little. Also took out the new 45 and tested a new shotgun load of #5 shot.

Today I cranked out about 165 12ga AAs with #5 shot. Little on the hot side for hunting. Also just got done casting a bunch more 9mm.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2018
    US
    Haven't done anything lately, kind of at a stand still until I can get a case prep station and a trimmer. Not sure when that will be.

Also I don't really know what dies to get everyone says something else.
    I use RCBS for rifle dies and Hornady for pistol. Really all of them are pretty good. The only ones I had problems with are Lyman dies. They put a nice ugly ring around the top of my bullet. I use an RCBS case prep center, an RCBS JR. press, a Lyman case trimmer and a Lyman turbo pro 1200 tumbler. I use an RCBS Uniflo Powder Measure and a Redding Master Scale. None of this stuff is high dollar but I've pressed bullets that will hang with the best out there. You may want to look into the Giraud Triway Trimmer if you plan on loading lots of the same caliber. It trims, chamfers, and deburs your cases in one step instead of 3. I'm ordering one for .308 and one for 5.56 tomorrow. Just finished with 481 5.56 cases and could have saved lots of time with the triway trimmer. Careful getting into reloading, if you're like me you will always be looking to improve on the last ones you did.

Top Bottom