Guns International

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Ballistic: Standard Edition by Peak Studios LLChttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ballistic-standard-edition/id300045171?mt=8

I use it for logging targets and loads.

I prefer Strelok when it comes to the ballistic calculator side. Not that Ballistic is bad and it has some advantages. But overall it has a great target log feature and Strelok has a friendlier calculator and BC library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So can you simply take a pic of the shot up target w/your phone, and it transposes that to the program, and analyzes your groups?
    Venture Surplus ad

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Made antique brass... lol.
    Reminder to self...dont go to sleep before the brass is finished. It ran for 18 hrs in a pin tumbler...shiney brass for comparison

20190507_212423.jpg

Attachments

• 20190507_212423.jpg
      20190507_212423.jpg
      1,009.5 KB · Views: 113

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So can you simply take a pic of the shot up target w/your phone, and it transposes that to the program, and analyzes your groups?

Pretty much. You take a pic and select it in the program, then mark your shots and it calculates group size, offset, and gives actual size as well as moa/mil based on distance entered for that shooting session.

I'm assuming if you use a target with 1" grid it can measure?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

You can use a target with any known size grid, or simply place something of known size on the target. Once the pic is selected you scale the target using an in app measuring tool that equates 1” by default, or any measurement you enter to a line you expand or shrink to fit your known size.

You then enter the caliber and it scales the ring size to the target for marking shots.

Next time I do one I will record the process and post it. Fairly simple but I might not be explaining it very well.

It is important to hold the camera square/parallel to the target. Leaning it back or to the side will throw off the scale from side to side or top to bottom. Probably won’t make a huge difference but some of us are a little OCD.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Turns out making a quick tutorial was really easy.

And because I know somebody will spot it, this was the pic in the “favorites” folder. No idea why it saved in that location though.

ea4da444d696d859cda266769996646b.jpg

Attachments

• ea4da444d696d859cda266769996646b.jpg
      ea4da444d696d859cda266769996646b.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 168

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Thank you for that, Younggun. That's pretty frickin' sweet.

You should get a commission from them, because I'm pretty sure you just sold a bunch for them.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thank you for that, Younggun. That's pretty frickin' sweet.

You should get a commission from them, because I'm pretty sure you just sold a bunch for them.
    I use Ballistic AE too. I really like it. It does have a ton of features. They have some good videos on its use on their website.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I got standard edition back when it was free. Advanced has some nice features for the calculator but I get most of them through Strelok instead, which I did have to pay for IIRC.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Theres a free one for android called range buddy or something like that. It wasn't too bad to operate after you get used to it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Tested my BMG loads with the Lapua brass.

Decided to use a rear bag this time and had to fight it to get it to settle enough. Threw off the first shot but the recoil seemed to get the stock settled in properly and the next few were much better.

I lost about 50fps going from the LC brass to Lapua. Group wasn’t terrible though as long as I leave out the first flubbed shot. Going to bump the charge up a few grains and try to reclaim the lost velocity and get back in to the node I had found at around 2675fps.

View attachment 171330

The beauty of that is you can leave the spotting scope at home.....

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Ran all 500 pieces of Starline 223 through the sizing die and tumbled them. Quick measurements show the length to be within 30 thou or so and most of the weights within a grain. A few at or over 1.5gn.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sorting 9mm brass in order to determine whether to chunk it or buy a bulge buster in 9mm which is two dies put together, costing around $40!
    Where are you seeing a bulge-buster for 9mm? Lee has one but not for 9mm. Redding has one for 40S&W-base-size only (which includes 10MM and .357 Sig). EGW used to make small-base dies that would do the job but their web site is gone so I guess they're out of business.

The only tools I know of that fix bulges to a wide variety of pistol cases, including 9mm, are the Casepro (~$900) and the Magma Case Master Jr. (~$400).

So I'm curious. What bulge buster are you looking at? I'd love to learn something new today.

PS - My (approximately) rimless CF autopistol shooting these days is almost always cheap 9mm factory stuff. If I ever start running through thousands of rounds of .45 ACP or 10MM or (God, I hope I find myself needing this before I die!) .44AMP, I'll get a Case Master. Until then, I just throw away bulged brass.

rmantoo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Bought another 100ct Sierra 120 gr HPBT for the 6.5 Grendel. My brain keeps telling me this is a go-nowhere cartridge, but plinking w/a small frame AR @ 500 to 800 yards w/less than 28gr of powder is danged fun!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    @benenglish
    I bought a bunch of 9mm brass off arfcom. Finally got around to getting at it and I've found a bunch of it had crimped primers but not a big deal, I can deal.

Then I found a bunch of bulged(as in MG fired)brass. We tried to resize using a Dillon 650 but no luck. 10Ring has the parts and I remembered something I read about having to use a makarov die instead of 9mm since it's tapered.

Then I remembered reading something about a Lee 9mm die and a Lee shell holder so I tried it and I'm knocking all that brass down now!

Top Bottom