Patriot Mobile

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I love my doggos but I am maxed out on them haha. I will get back into it, just haven't had a lot of time lately for shooting related activities. I got annoyed with my crimp screwing up my OAL and walked away for a bit. That bit got a lot longer than I anticipated.

Reactions: rp-

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I loaded up some of those bullets I cast.

8269612dd497b96f14f5a547fc40736f.jpg

I also chronographed some rifle rounds I had loaded up awhile back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 8269612dd497b96f14f5a547fc40736f.jpg
      8269612dd497b96f14f5a547fc40736f.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 343

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I don't think it's difficult to get or maintain. It looks to be as easy to get as a C&R FFL, and it's just as cheap. I'm guessing what drove the little guys out was a combination of overhead and not being able to compete with the large established companies. I imagine liability insurance isn't cheap and ate quite a bit of any profits they little guys were able to get. There's also that ITAR BS that manufacturers have to deal with.

It's pretty stupid that doing something as innocent as selling off a few pounds of lead that just happen to be in the shape of bullets could land you in trouble with the Feds.
    Technically you don't have to sell them to me. There is no law against giving away some and me dropping a few pictures of dead presidents on your bench.

I have looked at an ammo FFL. The itar is the killer though. I talked and did a little work for a guy that runs an ammo reloading company in Buda. He said if the customer provides the brass then technically you're remanufacturing instead of manufacturing and that doesn't require an FFL or ITAR. I'm not sure if that is still 100% accurate but I've reloaded a friend's 44mag and still have tools to do so. I'd like to load up a box or two of those for my own stash though.

Also, I dont know about you guys but I like to load up a box or two worth of different common calibers if I have the means to do so. I figure if I have a little ammo around for a gun I happen across for trade or sale it might be more worth getting it. I've passed on many guns simply because I didn't want to have to buy new ammo for it. Now that I reload ammo cost isn't an issue.... Buying dies is!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot.

Some people load just in case they come across something to shoot it in but I keep it simple/basic and just pile it up cause I got the gun to fire it in.

I just need to pick up the offered pots and start casting. I got the lead already to go.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Casting has definitely cut costs down. I also bought 15kg of pistol powder for cheap so my cost on lead bullets and powder come out to almost nothing. Like literally loading 380 and 9mm under 3 cents each and 45s just over 3 cents each.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    It went into 4 1gal paint cans. I've ALMOST used half of one!

On the plus side, I have so much pistol and AR ammo loaded and ready to go that I can spend more time refining loads for the long range rifles.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I went to the range this morning. I found around an extra 500 pieces of 9mm brass.

Once I got home I loaded up another 400 rounds of 9mm. I'm going to have to sort and clean brass soon. I've got more than a 2.5 gallon bucket that's full of mixed range brass. I also bought some .308 and .45 brass. Need to get that cleaned.

One thing I'm really noticing is that the Dillon 650 presses make reloading almost boring. I've got one set up for .45 ACP and one for 9mm. Hit the clean brass with some One-Shot, let it dry and go to town. 9mm sizes so easy that I sometimes wonder if the case actually fed into the press.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Just got home today, and found that Dillon had been good to me while I was gone. The spent primer cup was missing when I got my 550B, and my primer slide bar wouldn’t hold the anvil tight enough, so I was getting inadequate primer seat depth. I also felt I needed the low primer alarm.

upload_2019-6-12_22-14-28.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-12_22-14-28.jpeg
      upload_2019-6-12_22-14-28.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 343

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Major reloading drill...
    :shades:
    Loaded up five rounds of .32 Colt Short with 3F Goex to test fire my #4 Remington Rolling Block.
    Lee Shaver converted a spare block I acquired from rim fire to center fire, and this was the first opportunity I had to shoot it.
    No issues, so now I load up a couple dozen rounds and see if the owner of my local range will let me shoot it indoors at 25 yards to check grouping.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Called them and asked. Was told the company which handles their CC purchases was down for a while. Should be back up by tomorrow, we'll see.

ETA: As of 3:45 this afternoon, still ain't working. I'll try again on Monday.

Update: Called them on Monday (6/10), they were still having issues with online credit card acceptance. Took my order over the phone and I'm now the owner of eight pounds of Retumbo powder. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: dee
    Top Bottom