Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Got this today. Then got frustrated because it has large wheels and the only brass I have that needs annealing right now is 6.5grendel- these wheels are too large for that brass. Ordered small wheels...tomorrow I'm going to go unload a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor just so I can come home and anneal it :)
    IMG_1025.JPG
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
      IMG_1025.JPG
      1.7 MB · Views: 485

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Ran my old annealz tonight on some 223ai. They are handy as all get out. All my shooting buddies are upgrading to an amp setup but I don't see the benefit to justify the cost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    What’s the amp setup got that annealeez doesn’t?

I almost bought one right before 2019; IIRC they were ~$2xx and the site said prices were going up for the new year.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Depends on model. They are faster to run big batches on but require you to do a little labor. The newer models with Aztec mode can self set their settings if you have a wildcat or brass not in their system but it requires you sacrifice that piece of brass.

I assume when you refer to the $200 price you are talking about the annealz as the amp is around the $1k range.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Uh, yeah.

I think I talked to my shooting buddies and one only anneals 6.8 and the other guy said he anneals 308 but I’ve only seen him shoot 10-20 rounds st a time but I don’t do Bayou with him either.

Thanks for the info.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Got this today. Then got frustrated because it has large wheels and the only brass I have that needs annealing right now is 6.5grendel- these wheels are too large for that brass. Ordered small wheels...tomorrow I'm going to go unload a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor just so I can come home and anneal it :) View attachment 175964

Let me know how that works out. I think that's going to be my next purchase. I will be annealing 6.5CM and 308.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Got this today. Then got frustrated because it has large wheels and the only brass I have that needs annealing right now is 6.5grendel- these wheels are too large for that brass. Ordered small wheels...tomorrow I'm going to go unload a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor just so I can come home and anneal it :) View attachment 175964
    Is that pronounced "analease"?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    My buddy Gary says with mil brass he has so much and it’s so available he doesn’t bother. The rarer stuff he “works”.

I follow suit.

I’m waiting to see if EZ-E joins in. He shoots 6.5 Creed(iirc).

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Is that pronounced "analease"?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Lol... it's 'anneal-ease'

Tell me why again that we are annealing brass?

Relieve tension in the brass from firing, which extends brass life/the number of times it can be reloaded and fired... for straight wall cases, it really doesn't seem to matter, but for shouldered cases, especially when going from one size to another (like my 7.62x39 turning into 6.5 grendel) it reduces the tendency to split necks greatly.

There have been a ton of competition shooters who did experiments and proved (although not in a laboratory, lol) that it works... David Tubb, who is pretty much THE king of long range shooting, is an absolute advocate of annealing, and that's good enough for me.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I don't bother using it on plinking ammo, just my long range stuff. After a few firings I can feel the neck tension differences when seating bullets. That's when I anneal.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Unless you're doing a lot of ammo you can accomplish the same result with a torch and then put the brass in a socket on a drill.

TexasGunAdmirer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    Just West of Fort Worth
    Set up a portable reloading bench in the spare bedroom and primed a bunch of 9mm brass. Received my order of 124gr FMJ FP bullets from RMR this afternoon. Too hot and humid to work in the garage now! I will do a bunch of brass prep work comfortably indoors until fall.

The shooting club I am a member of has a steel target shooting gallery and I got a key last night. Looks like I am going to have to do a lot more reloading in the future!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Tested the 6 creed ff brass today. Was too lazy to put the chrono on to compare velocity but I cold bored at 900yds so it's within a couple fps. Got home and sized 100 or so 223ai.

Top Bottom