Hurley's Gold

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Just won an AR upper in a raffle. Choice between 50beo, 458socom, and 450bm. After looking at the ballistics and components I'm gonna go with the 450bm. Anyone ever loaded those before?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I had issues with my XDm not liking the Lee 230 tumble lube bullets. I have even seated the bullets super deep and crimped like crazy but I still get jams. About 3/5 rounds will not go fully into

What is the neck diameter of the ones that wont go into battery? Are you getting a fatty due to case wall thickness and the cast bullet?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I don't have all the dimensions anymore. I noticed the problem with all brass brands so I don't think it was the brass. I tried sizing the bullets to 452 but they wouldn't go into battery all the way. Tried sizing some to 451 and same issue. I figured it was probably due to the bullet being the truncated cone shape. I'd like to try some RN and see if they work better.

I already have the HAPs on the way though. They are the same profile as the XTPs but without the cuts to make them expand. I did also measure case length on some XTPs and found even the longer cases worked fine.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    I spent 3 hundred bucks on supplies, bullets, primers, powder! Now, I'm set to start reloading as soon as the temps drop a little further. Here in Texas, we have another season that comes between summer and fall, it's called hotumn. I'm waiting for fall so I can sit out in the garage for hours on end, I'm equipped and supplied and ready to do about 3,000 rounds of 9mm and 38spl.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Just picked up another 15# of 223 brass from Lonestar "so I can cut down on the amount of powder laying around the house"

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I don't have all the dimensions anymore. I noticed the problem with all brass brands so I don't think it was the brass. I tried sizing the bullets to 452 but they wouldn't go into battery all the way. Tried sizing some to 451 and same issue. I figured it was probably due to the bullet being the truncated cone shape. I'd like to try some RN and see if they work better.

I already have the HAPs on the way though. They are the same profile as the XTPs but without the cuts to make them expand. I did also measure case length on some XTPs and found even the longer cases worked fine.

On TCs I've had to seat REALLY short for 45 for them to run, essentially no shank showing, just come. Work like a champ

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Did some measurement checks on the new Hornady 6mm 110 A-Tips against my current go to 115gr DTAC. Both seem to be pretty solid was honestly expecting a little less deviation out of the A-Tip but very solid either way.

Also loaded another 100 223ai for my kiddos youth shoot coming up soon.
    137d67e68acdf5ffbe4150070a6a8664.jpg
    4dd33fe95ebdbd3f24c0b2eed4a7586e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 137d67e68acdf5ffbe4150070a6a8664.jpg
      137d67e68acdf5ffbe4150070a6a8664.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 344
    • 4dd33fe95ebdbd3f24c0b2eed4a7586e.jpg
      4dd33fe95ebdbd3f24c0b2eed4a7586e.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 349

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Going back to SWC/xd 45s, what I remember working is maybe 1/16” showing before the taper and they would feed okay.

There was lots lead buildup but I could get several boxes through it before having to hose her off.

Maybe due to crappy bullets, I don’t know.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Going back to SWC/xd 45s, what I remember working is maybe 1/16” showing before the taper and they would feed okay.

There was lots lead buildup but I could get several boxes through it before having to hose her off.

Maybe due to crappy bullets, I don’t know.

Bad fit, too hard of an alloy, bad lube. I run coated .452 SWC bullets through my XDM and have no problems with leading. I have found the XDM is particular about which SWC bullets it will feed, it's not just SWC bullets either. I've got a couple of bullets that feed just fine in my 1911 pistols that will not feed in the XDM.

I also have a XD 45 that has problems with SWC bullets. The fired brass comes back and folds the case mouth of the cartridge in the magazine. Basically turning it into a single shot and ruining a piece of brass in the process.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I finished sizing all the 9mm bullets I've cast in the last week. My shooting buddy came over and loaded 400 rounds of .45 ACP and 400 rounds of 9mm.

I think it's about time he bought his own blue toys.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    The garage is too d@mn hot to do any reloading. Thinking about renting a house just so I can use the extra bedroom to reload...seriously.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    The garage is too d@mn hot to do any reloading. Thinking about renting a house just so I can use the extra bedroom to reload...seriously.

I empathize, 100%.

We have a 2 car, plus 1 golf cart garage. We park our lawn mower in the golf cart slot, and I walled in the area behind what's needed for the lawn mower, insulated the walls, and made a gun room and reloading room out of the resulting space. The gun room is about 9x8? (ish) and the reloading area is about 9x5 (ish).

It's nice having an enclosed, climate controlled space, but I keep thinking of buying a bigger house, just so I can have a larger, dedicated reloading room with plenty of space. We have extra bedrooms I could use, but they're both on the 2nd floor, and I just can't get past the (to me) insanity of carrying a bunch of components upstairs, only to make them into bullets, then carry them all downstairs.

Top Bottom