APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Also for fun a fired and empty 9mm case with what looked like a lite primer strike. No powder or bullet in there just the primer. It went pop. So now it’s a spent primer. Also wondering if I can use CCI small rifle primers to load 9mm ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also for fun a fired and empty 9mm case with what looked like a lite primer strike. No powder or bullet in there just the primer. It went pop. So now it’s a spent primer. Also wondering if I can use CCI small rifle primers to load 9mm ammo.

No. Guy at Cabela's told me I could used s&b small rifle for pistol once. I had about 70% fire on the first strike. 25% fire on the second or third strike, and about 5% didn't fire at all. I had 500 of them. It was good practice for clearing malfunctions.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Try redeye reloading if you're looking for dies. Most their dies are used but they always have a ton of dies. You just have to scroll through the endless list...

Thanks for the link to red eye reloading , I never here of them till now:)

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    No. Guy at Cabela's told me I could used s&b small rifle for pistol once. I had about 70% fire on the first strike. 25% fire on the second or third strike, and about 5% didn't fire at all. I had 500 of them. It was good practice for clearing malfunctions.

Good to know, thanks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was good practice for clearing malfunctions.
    I have a case of .22 Shorts that was improperly stored for many years before I bought it. At least a third are duds. I put them in revolvers and they help me stay ahead of any flinching.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I've shot a Toni of fiocchi SRP in 9mm & 40 s&w with zero fails. Prepandemic of course.

I'm at 1200 on 9mm decap & size.

Loaded 20 Hornady leftover from a sale I had going on.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    I've shot a Toni of fiocchi SRP in 9mm & 40 s&w with zero fails. Prepandemic of course.

I'm at 1200 on 9mm decap & size.

Loaded 20 Hornady leftover from a sale I had going on.
    Was about to say, I have been reloading my 9mm with srp, they all fired fine. Am I missing something here?
    All my Walthers shoot them just fine.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Hammer fired guns seem to work a little better with rifle primers.
    I was using my Ruger p85 which is hammer fired. That's when I had all the problems. I didn't try the rounds in anything else though. And that was just s&b small rifle primers. Maybe they're tougher than others.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I was using my Ruger p85 which is hammer fired. That's when I had all the problems. I didn't try the rounds in anything else though. And that was just s&b small rifle primers. Maybe they're tougher than others.

I believe they are harder than others. I usually use Federal primers for everything. They seem pretty soft. I have had issues with S&B and CCI primers in certain guns sometimes requiring a 2nd strike. Of course there's no scientific research behind my assumptions. Just things I've noticed.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Found some 123gr SP and SST bullets for my new 7.62x39 bolt gun. Stopped by a few stores to see if any reloading supplies were in stock. Slim pickings out there right now. It's not unexpected but just weird seeing bare shelves that were once full.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    loaded a little over a 1000 rd of 9mm this weekend

going to set the Dillon 650 up for .380 acp tonight, Bayou Bullet says my little 90 gr .355" coated cast bullets will be delivered this week, so I can load those little puppies up (I hate loading .380 due to such small cases and bullets for big hands to deal with, but due to current availability and price right now I am going to load my .380 plink & play ammo)

Top Bottom