Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Bought 200 Berreys plated 125 grn flat point 38 spl bullets at the Humble Gun Show. Bought 500 Missouri Bullet Company 158 grn HJTek coated SWC from 10 Ring. Ordered 500 38 spl 125 grn plated Flat Point bullets from XTreme Bullets. Sorted and primed 250 38 Special cases.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Did you ever consider the mix has changed over the years and the manual revised. OR layweritis struck and the manual changed.

It's pretty rare for powder companies to change the formula on an existing powder. Especially if they make it faster, as there's just too much danger of somebody not getting the word. Generally they just give it a new name. If they had done that there would have been a notice.

Lot of things cause variations. Changes in SAMMI specifications, which did happen with the .38 Special some time ago. Changes in test equipment, like whether they used a copper crush (CUP) or piezo (PSI). There's so many variables and changing any one will measurably affect the results.

Sometimes they stop short of max results because performance falls off so why publish loads that won't work? They are there to sell powder. If they publish a load that they find is wildly inaccurate and you use it, you'll likely blame the powder.

Being cautious publishing .38 Special load data is prudent. It's been around along time. I've seen perfectly functionable 120 year old guns.

For me, I shoot relatively modern guns. Most are .357's which gives an added measure of safety. It's not the first time I've been outside of current load specifications. But one does so at their own risk.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    It's pretty rare for powder companies to change the formula on an existing powder. Especially....

May be, but rare or not, it’s not fun when it happens to you.

And it has happened to me. Almost blew up a pristine Model 29 Smith about 35 years ago. Thank God for factory proof testing.

Ever since, I check the latest data when I buy powder. And was glad I did a few times.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    May be, but rare or not, it’s not fun when it happens to you.

And it has happened to me. Almost blew up a pristine Model 29 Smith about 35 years ago. Thank God for factory proof testing.

Ever since, I check the latest data when I buy powder. And was glad I did a few times.

I'm guessing that was 2400? That's the only reformulation I'm aware of that really caused problems.

If you're loading close to max you should always rework the load when you change to a new lot # whether the powder has changed or not. It can vary lot to lot enough at times to matter.

If the lighter charge works fine I'll use it. Though my current lot of W231 is a number of years old.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I'm guessing that was 2400? That's the only reformulation I'm aware of that really caused problems.

If you're loading close to max you should always rework the load when you change to a new lot # whether the powder has changed or not. It can vary lot to lot enough at times to matter.

If the lighter charge works fine I'll use it. Though my current lot of W231 is a number of years old.

You nailed it!

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You nailed it!

Yeah, that was a giant mistake and I think (and hope) that all the powder companies learned from that. Don't reformulate the most popular powder used in Magnum revolver cartridges and create a situation where everybody has to reduce their loads. You have to know somebody's not going to get the word. Not to mention Magnum revolver cartridges are in a world of their own when it comes to pressure levels in handguns.

I was using 2400 in the .41 Magnum at the time. When I bought a new lot they had a notice taped to the can but I think the retail store did that. It wasn't like today where communication is so easy.

I don't shoot much full power Magnum stuff anymore, mostly because I shot too much when I was younger. I need to take care of my wrists. I shot more than my fair share already and these days I just shoot holes in paper anyway. You know...I think I have an old cardboard tube of 2400 around somewhere....

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Yeah, that was a giant mistake and I think (and hope) that all the powder companies learned from that. Don't reformulate the most popular powder used in Magnum revolver cartridges and create a situation where everybody has to reduce their loads. You have to know somebody's not going to get the word. Not to mention Magnum revolver cartridges are in a world of their own when it comes to pressure levels in handguns.

I was using 2400 in the .41 Magnum at the time. When I bought a new lot they had a notice taped to the can but I think the retail store did that. It wasn't like today where communication is so easy.

I don't shoot much full power Magnum stuff anymore, mostly because I shot too much when I was younger. I need to take care of my wrists. I shot more than my fair share already and these days I just shoot holes in paper anyway. You know...I think I have an old cardboard tube of 2400 around somewhere....

Yeah, all of those max loads did me in as well. I have nerve damage in both hands and arms due to that “young and dumb“ way of thinking; all loads must be max! SMH

To enjoy shooting now, it’s mostly 38’s and 9’s. I sneak in a few 45 acp or mid range 10’s every now and then.

When guys at the range offer their 454’s, 460’s, 500’s to me to shoot, I just tell them I left my testosterone at home.

Last edited:

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    79ec0d9cdf7543eacc4653d74a1631ac.jpg

Did some trading with a church friend. He got out of 7mm reloading and gave me his stuff .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    If you don't load 7mag then let me know. I might be interested in some of that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I own a 7mm rem magnum and now that I have this stuff, all I need is dies. I will start reloading for it. The only thing I probably won’t use it’s the RL33 from what I found so far is designed for 338 and some other magnums loads. Not listed for the 7 rem magnum so I won’t use it.
    If you have a need for that, I’ll trade you door something .

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Looks like there's a different kit for the Breech Lock Press. Is that what you mean.

I have a Lee Mold for 380 bullets and a fair number of them were over sized. So much so that cartridges would not chamber. The sizer fixed that. The 380s were the only ones I ever had a problem with. I do size all the bullets I cast.
    Finally got all the parts in for this sizer. It makes since now that I have it in my hands.
    d76f2683970ef20da3810cf485d0054b.jpg
    b919a0540d48c5e05a10c906dc34de60.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Cabelas in Allen also has 454 casull dies in stock. These are sold out everywhere and the only place that has had them was ebay were they went at auction for $145
    07F89672-8A8F-4554-8B71-9E5ED059FD1E.jpeg

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Ordered 223 dies and bought a box of 223 bullets along with powder

Top Bottom