Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Anyone used the new style lee bullet sizer dies? Just ordered one for my.AK bullets. Just wondering if there's anything different you have to do.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Which bullet mold are you using for the 7.62x39?

The reason I ask is if you powder coat your bullets, most of the time the .309 diameter bullets come in around .310 after it is all said and done. The bullet as-is will seat/work fine in any AK without sizing and accuracy is pretty good.

If you are using a .312 then yes, a .311 sizing die is needed.
    Guns International

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm using a Lee mold but I'm going to size them anyway. I don't trust consistency of powder coat that much. I got a .310 sizer.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm using a Lee mold but I'm going to size them anyway. I don't trust consistency of powder coat that much. I got a .310 sizer.

Looks like there's a different kit for the Breech Lock Press. Is that what you mean.

I have a Lee Mold for 380 bullets and a fair number of them were over sized. So much so that cartridges would not chamber. The sizer fixed that. The 380s were the only ones I ever had a problem with. I do size all the bullets I cast.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Looks like there's a different kit for the Breech Lock Press. Is that what you mean.

I have a Lee Mold for 380 bullets and a fair number of them were over sized. So much so that cartridges would not chamber. The sizer fixed that. The 380s were the only ones I ever had a problem with. I do size all the bullets I cast.
    Yes, I have the breech lock auto press. Forgot to mention that. I have been able to use the old style sizers in this press just fine.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    938fcd82ec8fa819584eb9193ed460ee.jpg

:) why not kind of day.
    Bubba round tree said it works:)) it’s on the internet so it must be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    I’ll post it here as well.
    I used the round splitshot and I crimped it down to close the gap
    Used Remington STS hulls with CB1118 wads (the 7/8 wad was to short to fit all 9 pellets.)
    The number 5 splitshot is a .30 projectile and 9 of them are a bit under 7/8 oz (7/8 oz is 382 grains, the 9 splitshot are 360 grains so use 7/8 data)
    I loaded mine with WAA LITE powder because it’s all I have for a 7/8 oz load and I used 13.2 grains. It should put me at around 1100 FPS . It’s a lighter load, wanted to go with a 14.5 load but I can’t find the right bushing for my MEC.
    I’ll go shoot them Saturday and I’ll get back to you with a report:)

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Unfortunately, it seems that I am too late to enter the world of reloading. :(
    Why, I did. I had to. I couldn't find 38 special for sale anywhere for my new .357 snubbie. I started reloading in December of last year. I bought a Lee Loader and eventually bought a Lee breechlock hand press and a set of dies. I am reloading 38 Special at the kitchen table. I also have an inexpensive digital scale from Amazon and I also bought a Lee priming tool. Use the Dawn and Lemishine brass wet cleaning method in a Pure Leaf tea jug to clean the brass. I have accrued 2800 primers, 3 lbs of powder, a 500 piece box of XTreme 38/357 plated 125 grn flkat nose lead bullets (already loaded 200 of them) and I have also been able to pick up 600 XTP 125 grn hollow points (a hundred at a time when I was able to find them). Found 2 200 count packages of Hornady 38 Special brass at Academy back in December and have picked up another 400+ rounds at various places (Brass Pro Shops, Cabela's, 10 RIng a while back, and paid through the nose for a box ammo at a local gun shop/range and shot most of it so I have plenty of brass to reload now.

So it can be done but you have to work for it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Why, I did. I had to. I couldn't find 38 special for sale anywhere for my new .357 snubbie. I started reloading in December of last year. I bought a Lee Loader and eventually bought a Lee breechlock hand press and a set of dies. I am reloading 38 Special at the kitchen table. I also have an inexpensive digital scale from Amazon and I also bought a Lee priming tool. Use the Dawn and Lemishine brass wet cleaning method in a Pure Leaf tea jug to clean the brass. I have accrued 2800 primers, 3 lbs of powder, a 500 piece box of XTreme 38/357 plated 125 grn flkat nose lead bullets (already loaded 200 of them) and I have also been able to pick up 600 XTP 125 grn hollow points (a hundred at a time when I was able to find them). Found 2 200 count packages of Hornady 38 Special brass at Academy back in December and have picked up another 400+ rounds at various places (Brass Pro Shops, Cabela's, 10 RIng a while back, and paid through the nose for a box ammo at a local gun shop/range and shot most of it so I have plenty of brass to reload now.

Maybe try redeyereloading.com. they just had an email about having some 100gr 38 bullets in stock a couple days ago. Might still have some.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    I couldn’t wait until Saturday...
    So here the range report on the split shot shells

Shot from 25 yards, using a beretta 1200 semiautomatic. They didn’t cycle but I kind of knew they wouldn’t (would be good for a pump)

First 2 shots
    61e396377d42e23768619767f35cfcf9.jpg

Changed the target and took 4 more shots
    32a507ee5f002711b2fd92cc11d97685.jpg

And this is the 3/4” plywood that I had as backstop
    4e024edc4b67d37e584fd411319fdb1b.jpg

Overall, I’ll make some more the same and mark them for pump only and I’ll reload a new batch with the 14.5 grains that I had in mind originally.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I couldn’t wait until Saturday...
    So here the range report on the split shot shells

Shot from 25 yards, using a beretta 1200 semiautomatic. They didn’t cycle but I kind of knew they wouldn’t (would be good for a pump)

First 2 shots
    61e396377d42e23768619767f35cfcf9.jpg

Changed the target and took 4 more shots
    32a507ee5f002711b2fd92cc11d97685.jpg

And this is the 3/4” plywood that I had as backstop
    4e024edc4b67d37e584fd411319fdb1b.jpg

Overall, I’ll make some more the same and mark them for pump only and I’ll reload a new batch with the 14.5 grains that I had in mind originally.

This, and the slugs that andre3k casted are making me want to get into shot shell reloading.

I'm not into bird hunting and normally some load shells are cheap enough for trap/skeet/5 stand fun.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Here are some bullets on sale

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I’ll post it here as well.
    I used the round splitshot and I crimped it down to close the gap
    Used Remington STS hulls with CB1118 wads (the 7/8 wad was to short to fit all 9 pellets.)
    The number 5 splitshot is a .30 projectile and 9 of them are a bit under 7/8 oz (7/8 oz is 382 grains, the 9 splitshot are 360 grains so use 7/8 data)
    I loaded mine with WAA LITE powder because it’s all I have for a 7/8 oz load and I used 13.2 grains. It should put me at around 1100 FPS . It’s a lighter load, wanted to go with a 14.5 load but I can’t find the right bushing for my MEC.
    I’ll go shoot them Saturday and I’ll get back to you with a report:)

What primer?

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I'm starting to question my standard .38 load with W231 that I've been using for decades. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's a little hotter than it needs to be. Still very accurate.

But I've been trying out WST and it seems every bit as good...maybe better. I decided I'd back off my W231 charge weight a bit and see how it does. So I loaded up some more .38's with WST and a box with a lighter than my usual charge of W231.

But the .38 Special seems to shoot so many things so well.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I'm starting to question my standard .38 load with W231 that I've been using for decades. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's a little hotter than it needs to be. Still very accurate.

But I've been trying out WST and it seems every bit as good...maybe better. I decided I'd back off my W231 charge weight a bit and see how it does. So I loaded up some more .38's with WST and a box with a lighter than my usual charge of W231.

Yes... it is very aptly named. It still is an excellent cartridge for self defense, and can be loaded down for .22 rimfire like recoil, and brass will last almost forever like that. Just an all around great cartridge. Special.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX

What bullet are you loading?

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    What bullet are you loading?

Right now Acme Bullet's poly coated 158 gr SWC. Nice bullet. It has no lube groove which is new to me but of course it doesn't need one. I did really well with them on my first go around.

I've been using 4.0 gr of W231 forever. By that I mean since the mid 80's. If you go to Hodgdon you'll see that load is currently over max. Older/other data lists charges in that range. At the time I started using it I was within parameters. I've shot I don't know how many of that load. Many 10's of thousands. Most likely 100,000.

Not saying I'm changing. Just questioning.

Top Bottom