Aug 20, 2014
    Off the top of my head for an Outdoor Range:

- Do not charge per gun; charge hourly or a daily flat rate
    - Ranges at least 200 yards long; anything longer is better
    - Allow people to stand and shoot their long guns
    - Allow steel-cased ammo
    - Spotting scopes and sand bags available
    - Sell cold bottles of water
    - A small area with a few picnic tables set back or off to the side; shaded would be nice
    - Offer bore sighting, optic zeroing, and gunsmithing; charge for these services
    - If offering Trap/Skeet, have rental packages available (shotgun, shells, clays)
    Target Sports

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Off the top of my head for an Outdoor Range:

- Do not charge per gun; charge hourly or a daily flat rate
    - Ranges at least 200 yards long; anything longer is better
    - Allow people to stand and shoot their long guns
    - Allow steel-cased ammo
    - Spotting scopes and sand bags available
    - Sell cold bottles of water
    - A small area with a few picnic tables set back or off to the side; shaded would be nice
    - Offer bore sighting, optic zeroing, and gunsmithing; charge for these services
    - If offering Trap/Skeet, have rental packages available (shotgun, shells, clays)

Good thoughts on the rifle side.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    The use to be a range near the Houston IAH airport that was very nice before apparently the cops took it over for the academy.

It was indoor and had a few bays that were dedicated to a live fire scenario. It used a laser disc to project scenes on to a white scene that was self sealing. There was various people on the screen doing things and bad guys would pop up. It was like a giant video game. I forgot how much it cost but myself and a friend played it for 4 hours one day with my Swedish K. When you hit the bad guy the scene would react to the hits as when you the collaborators (hostages). Talk about a money maker and if you were selling the ammo (I had my own at the time). If you are doing indoor it might be worth looking into this.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The use to be a range near the Houston IAH airport that was very nice before apparently the cops took it over for the academy.
    It was cater-corner from the academy, right? I remember it but only shot there once. I always wondered what happened to it.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    K ... so ... Seems lots of legit folks want a place to practice their draw. Clearly this will create a safety concern when it is allowed to happen incorrectly.

So, I have a couple of thoughts. The only range I can do holster draws and remain within the rules is Athena. At Athena I was checked out and approved by one of the instructors. My shooting record has a note authorizing me to draw from my holster, and I tell them I'm going to practice before I start drawing from my holster. The risk Athena assumes is having someone else on the line think it is allowed because they see me doing it.

My thought is that you may find some satisfaction by setting up a LASR lane. A small supply of laser pistol rounds would allow your customers to safely draw from the holster while getting feedback on speed and accuracy from any of several systems commercially available. I have: http://lasrapp.com/ and I can use laser rounds to practice holster draw. I'm saving for: http://coolfiretrainer.com/index.asp. All you would really need is a room with whatever system you choose set up. It would also be a decent idea to offer the laser rounds and systems for sale.

At any rate, I prefer my solution or a hybrid which would allow some type of qualification because there are generally plenty of folks at a range that are plenty scary enough in their attempts to kill paper.

Hope the range thing is a success for y'all.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    What do I want in a local shooting range? I want it to be local. There isn't a decent one within a 3 hour round trip from here. I'm not well acquainted with anyone here with a large property so that's a no-go. I can legally shoot on my little two acres if I dig a big hole with a raised dirt backstop. But it pisses off my next door neighbor so I don't do it. I might do the latter anyway because that neighbor is an asshole. The problem is it would be for close-range handguns only.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston

It was indoor and had a few bays that were dedicated to a live fire scenario. It used a laser disc to project scenes on to a white scene that was self sealing. There was various people on the screen doing things and bad guys would pop up. It was like a giant video game. I forgot how much it cost but myself and a friend played it for 4 hours one day with my Swedish K. When you hit the bad guy the scene would react to the hits as when you the collaborators (hostages). Talk about a money maker and if you were selling the ammo (I had my own at the time). If you are doing indoor it might be worth looking into this.
    You're talking about Rangemaster. That placed closed shop and became a carpet store.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I'd like to see a full time trained range safety officer to enforce safety rules to prevent accidents and unintended shooting. Someone who can inspect firearms before they enter the range to ensure safety, and provide a safe shooting experience throughout the entire process.

I like outdoor ranges a lot too. A good range should have competitions weekly or monthly and provide memberships that include already paid shooting time and steel targets.

I really think a good range should have a good ammo selection and offer mags, lube and other stuff shooters use.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    You're talking about Rangemaster. That placed closed shop and became a carpet store.

Building is still there. Was a nice place but kinda pricey. A business plan before it's time perhaps. Wonder how much of the range equipment was removed? Can you imagine.........Hey Boss, things are kinda slow on the floor. Mind if I duck back to the range and squeeze off a few?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... Seems lots of legit folks want a place to practice their draw. ...

My thought is that you may find some satisfaction by setting up a LASR lane. ...
    I wonder if those people find the laser range at Gander to be an adequate substitute. Customers are forced to use their faux-guns but they have a couple of fairly standard models in stock.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if Gander allows drawing on their laser range. Anybody here know?

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    If I was a Venture Capitalist funding a range, I would target a higher end customer. This seems to be a growing trend, though most venues I am aware of are indoor.

I would have multiple bays to accommodate different needs (machine guns, pistols, long range, sighting in, drawing from holster, trap, skeet, etc).

I would focus on memberships and not per day pricing.

The 25 yard indoor range market is fully saturated IMO.

This is one of the models we've discussed: the Guntryclub. I have several customers who'd be willing to pay big initiation fees and monthly memberships to have a posh, exclusive place to shoot.

So the question is which direction to go. As you can see from this thread, there is the whole gambit of customers out there: high priced, private club guys to the guys who want a spartan range for $10/day no rules, no limits. Some indoor, some outdoor.

Of course, like you said, "as a venture capitalist"...which is the way any business owner would have to think about it. What do the people want, but what can make money for the investor/owner also? While it's not always "all about the money", it has to be at least "some about the money" or else the range won't survive.

sigken

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I would not pay huge $$$ amount for gun range passes. So here is what I'd like to see:

1. No more than $12/hour. If outdoor, no more than $15 for day pass.
    2. Reasonably priced ammo. If too high, I'd buy online. If I can get a box of 9mm for 11$ online, I'd pay $13 max for the convenience factor
    3. ROs are cool. Follow the rules and be strict but cool at the same time.
    4. $10 per gun rental is reasonable. $30 for full autos.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Then don't buy a house near a gun range. Not exactly rocket surgery. Like the dolts that buy a house under an airport runway approach and bitch about aircraft noise.

We're talking about building a new range, i.e. the homeowners are already there. It would suck donkey balls to have lived on a quiet 40 acres in the country for two decades and then one day some dude buys the place down the road and opens a gun range. Would significantly reduce use and enjoyment of one's property and would absolutely erode its market value.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    We're talking about building a new range, i.e. the homeowners are already there. It would suck donkey balls to have lived on a quiet 40 acres in the country for two decades and then one day some dude buys the place down the road and opens a gun range. Would significantly reduce use and enjoyment of one's property and would absolutely erode its market value.

That's very valid. But I wonder how it compares to a private place. here, if you own 10 acres, you can shoot on your own land (supposed to have adequate berms, etc). So if I bought 50 acres, you'd think I was well within my right. But I'm the kind of guy who'd shoot a lot and have friends over. So even without the commercial aspect, that range would still diminish the "peaceable enjoyment" of others in their tranquil serenity. If someone bought 50 unrestricted acres next to you and build a subdivision or an office park or a factory to assemble cabinets and cut down all the trees and had heavy trucks at all hours driving by, I wonder if that'd be any different. Just some things to think about, not offering an opinion. How much protection do you have against another property owner/commercial interest if you don't own that land too or have other restrictions (HOA, zoning, etc).

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    That's very valid. But I wonder how it compares to a private place. here, if you own 10 acres, you can shoot on your own land (supposed to have adequate berms, etc). So if I bought 50 acres, you'd think I was well within my right. But I'm the kind of guy who'd shoot a lot and have friends over. So even without the commercial aspect, that range would still diminish the "peaceable enjoyment" of others in their tranquil serenity. If someone bought 50 unrestricted acres next to you and build a subdivision or an office park or a factory to assemble cabinets and cut down all the trees and had heavy trucks at all hours driving by, I wonder if that'd be any different. Just some things to think about, not offering an opinion. How much protection do you have against another property owner/commercial interest if you don't own that land too or have other restrictions (HOA, zoning, etc).

We are in agreement. I was just clarifying someone else's comment. You're clearly thinking about this very rationally and respectfully. I hope you build the range!

Top Bottom