What gun cleaner do you use?

Paradude

Oct 22, 2008
What's the best gun cleaner to use?I use Hoppes but I would like to try some other recommended cleaners.

kville79

May 24, 2008
Austin
I use either Break Free CLP or Hoppes. Pretty standard. I'll pick up other varieties of extra strength bore cleaners now and then for some heavy duty stuff considering I don't have a dry solvent tank available.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
Not a solvent, but synthetic motor oil contains plenty of detergents. I've noticed that guns clean up alot easier with motor oil versus Hoppes or FP10.

Lumberjack98

Aug 26, 2008
Katy
I clean with Brek Free CLP and then Hoppes in the places where it is really gunked up.

I do find that using CLP on all of the areas prone to buildup makes it MUCH easier to clean after the next time I go shooting. Much more so than the standare gun oil I used prior to CLP.

Blue Wonder is fantastic for getting really dirty bbls clean and also removes surface rust without the need for abrasives.

Posit

Oct 13, 2008
Like most, I've tried many. Right now, I use Butch's Bore Shine for for powder residue, and Montana Extreme Copper Killer for copper. The Montana is the absolute best I've used for copper; usually don't need a brush, just patches until it comes clean. When I do use a brush, its nylon.

Bought a used rifle a couple of months ago; nastiest bore I've seen. I resorted to JB's bore paste to get most of the fouling out, then finished with the combination above.

sheepdog

Oct 4, 2008
Texas, of course...
Can't believe nobody's mentioned MPro-7 yet. Good cleaner, no odor, no problems with skin contact. I guess Hoppe's Elite is the same thing, but I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom