What gun cleaner do you use?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Paradude, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Paradude

Paradude New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    What's the best gun cleaner to use?I use Hoppes but I would like to try some other recommended cleaners.

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    CLP does it all....

3. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Blue Wonder does wonders.

4. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Break Free CLP

5. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I use either Break Free CLP or Hoppes. Pretty standard. I'll pick up other varieties of extra strength bore cleaners now and then for some heavy duty stuff considering I don't have a dry solvent tank available.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not a solvent, but synthetic motor oil contains plenty of detergents. I've noticed that guns clean up alot easier with motor oil versus Hoppes or FP10.

7. Lumberjack98

Lumberjack98 Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I clean with Brek Free CLP and then Hoppes in the places where it is really gunked up.

I do find that using CLP on all of the areas prone to buildup makes it MUCH easier to clean after the next time I go shooting. Much more so than the standare gun oil I used prior to CLP.

Blue Wonder is fantastic for getting really dirty bbls clean and also removes surface rust without the need for abrasives.

8. Posit

Posit New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Like most, I've tried many. Right now, I use Butch's Bore Shine for for powder residue, and Montana Extreme Copper Killer for copper. The Montana is the absolute best I've used for copper; usually don't need a brush, just patches until it comes clean. When I do use a brush, its nylon.

Bought a used rifle a couple of months ago; nastiest bore I've seen. I resorted to JB's bore paste to get most of the fouling out, then finished with the combination above.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Member

Nov 2, 2008
    +1

10. sheepdog

sheepdog New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Texas, of course...
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned MPro-7 yet. Good cleaner, no odor, no problems with skin contact. I guess Hoppe's Elite is the same thing, but I don't know for sure.