• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Savage Model 99 lever action rifles, when years ago I was seeing them sell in gun stores and gun shows for under $250.

Mosin Nagant rifles when they were less than $80 and still covered in Cosmoline.
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For the most part this thread confuses me.

Besides a few sentimental pieces and full autos, most everything else listed here is still available.

Assuming inflation and increased income as we age most of those guns are relatively the same price or even cheaper now.

So why not get it today?

Honestly this thread reminds me of guys talking about how "cheap" everything was way back when. A new car was only $3,000!

Big deal. You only made $5,000 a year too.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I had a chance to buy a gyrojet once. It came with 12 rockets I think. I figured I'd probably be stupid and shoot them all off so I passed on the pistol. I would have sold it during my divorce anyway but I still wish I bought it. Instead I got a sporterized 1903. Boy was I dumb.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    My LGS has one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Besides a few sentimental pieces and full autos, most everything else listed here is still available.

Assuming inflation and increased income as we age most of those guns are relatively the same price or even cheaper now.

So why not get it today?

Honestly this thread reminds me of guys talking about how "cheap" everything was way back when. A new car was only $3,000!

Some guns actually do increase in value. If a person could go back in time and buy up some guns, knowing then what we know now of what they are selling for.

Selling an $80 Mosin Nagant rifle for $300 and up for one that is totally original and still coated with Cosmoline. Yeah, pretty good return on an investment IMO.

Yeah, those I mentioned are still available, but no where near the price they were just a few years ago.

They don't make the Savage Model 99 rifles anymore, but yes, you can still find them for sale on various auction sites and in gun shops and gun shows but not priced like they were about ten or fifteen years ago.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX

So why not get it today?

Since I stated the thread, I’ll address this. In some cases, as with cars, inflation indeed makes prices pretty close to original prices, and that’s why I think people keeping low mikage on collectible cars is a waste. Some guns do hover right around inflation adjusted prices. I paid $400 for a new Steyr GB in 1985 and the prices I see on line are only slightly higher than the inflation adjusted price I paid. The S/W 696 is quite a bit above the inflation adjusted price, and of course the full auto prices are way above. The guns I mentioned were, to me, guns that I figured would still be in production when I got around to buying one, or that there would be an equivalent available. In the case of the 696, try finding a new 44 special revolver that isn’t a Charter Arms. I ended up buying a Night Guard in 44 special, which I like, but it went out of production after a couple of years. Maybe I just yearn for stuff that’s not popular enough.

Reactions: gll

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I had an opportunity to buy an AMT Automag in 44mag. I passed on it due to special ammo needed. I am still looking for the elusive Desert Eagle in my favorite .41magnum. I found one in Collectors Firearms about 15 years ago with the 10" barrel. It was heavily worn and had hardly any rifling in the barrel. I passed on that one.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Dan Wesson Valor Limited. Debated between this and my X9 at the time and couldn’t afford both. Hopefully I’ll get a chance at one on the resale market.
    0270ab1c16a309c9b1ae2e88725c6def.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So why not get it today?
    In many cases, that's a legit question. I did exactly that with my P7. I didn't realize how great that gun was until the prices were going up, up, up. Still, I knew I'd always want one so I bought, anyway. I'm glad I did, too, even though the magazines cost more than the pistol. :)

In other cases the answer to your question is less of an indictment of current inaction than it is a simple recognition that circumstances change. Using the guns I posted for examples, well, my back no longer lets me shoot prone, so the SIG is now meaningless to me. Extra SKSs would be nice but I can make do with the one nice one I have. And about the only place to get a Sokolovsky and accessories would be to rob the NRA Firearms Museum. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the case of the 696, try finding a new 44 special revolver that isn’t a Charter Arms.
    I hear ya and wholeheartedly agree.

If I could find a couple of well-used-but-not-abused S&W 296s for a reasonable price, I'd wear them at 4 and 7 o'clock on my belt and they'd be my EDC carry guns for the rest of my life.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I missed getting a Colt Gold Cup when they were $300. Also missed getting a Dan Wesson revolver. I should have bought more rifles from CMP years ago.

I'm happy I didn't pass on the DW Bruin 10 mm a few years ago. It's been a great pistol.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I hear ya and wholeheartedly agree.

If I could find a couple of well-used-but-not-abused S&W 296s for a reasonable price, I'd wear them at 4 and 7 o'clock on my belt and they'd be my EDC carry guns for the rest of my life.

I love 44 special - 240 SWC hand loads. It’s actually a little uncomfortable to shoot in that Night Guard and why I’d prefer a steel frame. I’m really impressed with anyone who shoots 44 Magnum loads in those Scandium framed revolvers. I’ll probably end up with GP100 but again, I waited too long (price). At least they appear to still be available.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Saw a dardick at a gunshow for like $300 several years ago. Really should have bought it

Was most definitely broken, but the ability to tell people you have a magazine fed revolver is priceless

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Ruger Mini-14. Three, maybe four years ago I could have got a new SS with wood stock for about $800 or so. That’s the prettiest combo in my mind but I passed because of the proprietary magazines and it was a shit ton more $ than an AR which is better in every way. Really it would have been a safe queen anyway but I kind of wanted one because A-Team TV show while growing up. Alas, I’ve missed the boat.

I did manage to buy a SS with wood stock Marlin 60 at Walmart a few years ago. I don’t think I’ve put 200 rounds through it but it just looks so dang purdy with that golden wood contrasting the SS receiver and barrel. I have my 10/22 to shoot and my Marlin 60 to look at.

Reactions: MTA

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I love 44 special - 240 SWC hand loads. It’s actually a little uncomfortable to shoot in that Night Guard...
    I always envisioned my 296 handloaded with "manstoppers" (cup-nosed wadcutters, basically) of moderate weight (say, 200 grains) moving at moderate speeds (say, ~900 fps). That's plenty of oomph for defensive use but not so much that I'd dread practicing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I love 44 special - 240 SWC hand loads. It’s actually a little uncomfortable to shoot in that Night Guard and why I’d prefer a steel frame. I’m really impressed with anyone who shoots 44 Magnum loads in those Scandium framed revolvers. I’ll probably end up with GP100 but again, I waited too long (price). At least they appear to still be available.
    I always envisioned my 296 handloaded with "manstoppers" (cup-nosed wadcutters, basically) of moderate weight (say, 200 grains) moving at moderate speeds (say, ~900 fps). That's plenty of oomph for defensive use but not so much that I'd dread practicing.

I love my 44 Magnum. A Taurus Tracker 44 with the ported 4" barrel. Changed to the Hogue MonoGrip and it shoots like a much smaller calibered pistol. I shoot about half and half of 44 Magnum and 44 Special out of it.

My usual loads for the Magnums are 200 and 220 gr. JHP used with Power Pistol powder. My loads for the 44 Special are usually 180 and 200 gr. JHP with Power Pistol powder as well. I usually use either Hornady or Sierra JHP bullets for my loads.

I don't run at the mas for my powder charges, and try to stay in about the middle. IMO, not running max powder charges saves wear and tear on the pistol, and are just more pleasant to shoot for long sessions at a time.

My thoughts have been if you are continually wanting, or having to run max powder charges, then maybe it's time to step up to a more powerful cartridge to shoot. Using that philosophy is why my next revolver will be one in 454 Casull, or the 460 S&W cartridge.

Top Bottom