Target Sports

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Helmets only have a shelf life of 5 years, trash it
    yep I don't use it for riding, but don't want to toss it. It's still good for low speed stuff and stupid human tricks.

Remove the seat and replaced with a handmade custom in real leather. Cut the rear of the frame to get rid of the passenger crap and install a frame loop. Fenders go bye-bye. Different headlight, handlebars. Turn signals gone. Relocate the license plate. Remove the two side panels and clean up whatever is behind them. Engine cases polished. Carbs synchronized. Maybe open exhaust. All four separate pipes.
    Isn't that basically what you just sold? :laughing:

The handle bar position is just about perfect on those. I like the idea of a solo seat, but replace the passenger with a parcel shelf and add hard bags. Kinda like the police version but without the faring. Something you can ride on all day through the hill country or take on trips.
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's close but with the standard style of motorcycle. It'd be a bobber/cafe' hybrid. Not quite a cafe racer, not quite a bobber.

Ordered honda oil and 4 OEM Honda filters. Chain wax and a second Shoei face guard in HiVis orange.

Last edited:

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Changed the rear diff fluid put in a new gasket then installed the new rear shocks while the Gas tank was out in the 85 el Camino .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    How does the factory of motorcycles engineered to use the engine as a major structural component. Leave out a way to Jack it up? Raise the bike for a tire change?? How does a dealership get the bike in the air?

I'm not getting 'spools'. On the Honda, they replace the factory chain tensioner. That's a genuine Honda part to be switched out. Bet that piece is a couple $$.

I don't have any trees tall enough but I can get away with an A frame of 4x4 timbers. Ill hang plants on it when I'm not lifting the bike. So the city won't freak and sends me a dirty letter.

All I need to do is get the back tire off the ground to where I can spin the chain to lube it...

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I've got one of these for the 700....
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F272412926448-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg

And one of these for the 250.....
    u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.revzilla.com%2Fproduct_images%2F0052%2F0691%2Fpit_bull_hybrid_forklift_stand.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Most people just use wheel lift stands.

Thank you for waking me to that. I figured they used magic.

In fact, I don't need this one anymore. You can have it if you think it will work. Might be too narrow, I don't know. But it's yours if you want it.

View attachment 144081 View attachment 144082

That's exactly what I need. That little device you're offering up is about $230. Letting you know because you could sell it. I'd love to have it but have no idea how'd I'd get it from you. It's too expensive to get it for free.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    How does the factory of motorcycles engineered to use the engine as a major structural component. Leave out a way to Jack it up? Raise the bike for a tire change?? How does a dealership get the bike in the air?

I'm not getting 'spools'. On the Honda, they replace the factory chain tensioner. That's a genuine Honda part to be switched out. Bet that piece is a couple $$.

I don't have any trees tall enough but I can get away with an A frame of 4x4 timbers. Ill hang plants on it when I'm not lifting the bike. So the city won't freak and sends me a dirty letter.

All I need to do is get the back tire off the ground to where I can spin the chain to lube it...
    If you just need to spin the wheel
    https://m.harborfreight.com/motorcy...d-98800.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Thank you for waking me to that. I figured they used magic.

That's exactly what I need. That little device you're offering up is about $230. Letting you know because you could sell it. I'd love to have it but have no idea how'd I'd get it from you. It's too expensive to get it for free.

Seriously, it's just taking up space in my garage. I'd be happy to give it to you, and I didn't pay that much for it. I could maybe meet you in Jarrell or something. PM me and we'll figure it out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Since its only 101°. I decided to change the oil and filter on the Honda. 205 miles.

I'm glad I did. You can definitely tell the engine is breaking in. The oil had a slight metallic glimmer. A couple of shavings on the drain plug. The magnets on the plug and filter are working like they should.

Next change. 500 miles. 300 miles from now. Then at a 1000. The 1000 will get synthetic oil...maybe. If not, 1200-1300miles and then synthetic. The $10 bucks a quart stuff...

I have yet to go full throttle. 7-8 grand is the max. I don't keep a constant speed. On any long straight road. It's accelerate and let the engine brake. Repeat as long as I'm the road. It's super annoying but that's how its done. I do it around too. Vroom, chuggg, vroom, chuggg

Honda says after 300 miles I can get on it. First oil change recommended is at 600 miles (1000km). Then not again....until 8000miles.

I don't like their suggestions.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Since its only 101°. I decided to change the oil and filter on the Honda. 205 miles.

I'm glad I did. You can definitely tell the engine is breaking in. The oil had a slight metallic glimmer. A couple of shavings on the drain plug. The magnets on the plug and filter are working like they should.

Next change. 500 miles. 300 miles from now. Then at a 1000. The 1000 will get synthetic oil...maybe. If not, 1200-1300miles and then synthetic. The $10 bucks a quart stuff...

I have yet to go full throttle. 7-8 grand is the max. I don't keep a constant speed. On any long straight road. It's accelerate and let the engine brake. Repeat as long as I'm the road. It's super annoying but that's how its done. I do it around too. Vroom, chuggg, vroom, chuggg

Honda says after 300 miles I can get on it. First oil change recommended is at 600 miles (1000km). Then not again....until 8000miles.

I don't like their suggestions.

Owners manual for my Porsche stated 15,000 miles between oil changes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Owners manual for my Porsche stated 15,000 miles between oil changes.

Modern oil will do that. Back in the day, every 3 thousand. Now 5000 is a minimum. You can now buy that fancy Mobil one once a year oil.

I can remember motor oils turning to wax. Black sludge in the lifter valley. Paraffin. Quaker State would wax up quick. Pennzoil was a little better. Miss an oil change at 3000 and run it past 5000. The motor was nasty. 15,000 miles and the motor burnt. Seen a Nissan do it. Lady bought the car. Never changed the oil. Smoked the motor.

Motor oil has come a long way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Follow their rules and they have a brand new car for you to buy. They can design these things as an 'LLV'. Long Life Vehicle. They don't.

The mail truck that rolls by the house. Has a serviceable life span of 30 years. All it is is a Chevy S10 mixed together into a mail truck.

Good luck buying anything at the dealer that's says 30years. Instead, they say, oil change at...lol...15,000miles. On average, you might be one the of people that buy the expensive stuff every year to two years.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    On my honda crf250l I bet I changed the oil 5 or 6 times in the 10,000 miles I had it.the manual called for a change at 600 miles then every 10,000. On my cb1000r I am e oil changes in at 7500 miles. At 10,000 I plan on switching to Mobil 1. It should be good and broke in by then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Modern engines are much better on oil, in addition to oil being more advanced. Significantly less blow-by (lower crankcase pressure), less cylinder washdown because of proper fueling, better bay-to-bay breathing, running the motor hotter all contribute to the oil life being far extended over yesteryear. In a modern engine, 10k drain intervals are actually no problem. You can confirm with an oil test (like Blackstone).

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    The only twisties around here are the turn around under the overpass.
    Your only a hop-skip from Cranfills Gap. Some of the best ridin in Texas.

Looky here. A 100hp motorcycle. It's got too many miles but I can plan and scheme.

Make it into something really nasty.
    That would be a ZREX, just the later model of the classic kZ's.

They are already nasty. My kid had one.

ZRX%2B1100%2B002.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom