Guns International

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    You still need to go over it with a mitt or a sponge, so to me it was just an extra step with no real advantage. Am I missing something?
    You're right still need a mitt but mostly for the rocker panels. I use a foam cannon, if you use ceramic wax you need the cannon.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I recently had a buzzard fly up out of a bar ditch and strike the passenger side mirror of my 2018 RAM at 70mph. It completely destroyed the lower portion of the mirror, which is the turn signal, puddle lamp assembly. Unfortunately RAM only offers a complete mirror assembly replacement at over $1,000. I went online and found the replacement part, at Amazon, as the rest of the mirror was fine. $38.00 and 5 minutes replacement time.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    You still need to go over it with a mitt or a sponge, so to me it was just an extra step with no real advantage. Am I missing something?

Yes you do need to still use a mitt to get the more stubborn stuff off. I usually spray the car down, let
    It Dwell for a bit, spray that off which rinses most dirt/dust off. I then re-foam and use a mitt and two bucket method. Almost impossible to cause swirls with this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I guess I take a more traditional approach. Water the car down to loosen crud, twice. Load up the bucket and get the old sponge, wash the wheels. Re-wet the car as I rinse each wheel. When the wheels are clean, dump the bucket, reload with soap and get the new/clean sponge. Wash the car, then go over it with the red turtle (Mothers Speed Clay). Rinse, dry with an Absorber (synthetic chamois), maybe polish it up with a microfiber and quick detailer if I'm so inclined. Finish up with some tire dressing and call it a day.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    What is this "wax" you speak of? :)

I need more free time. *sigh*

Hell I’m thinking what is this hand wash you speak of.

I haven’t hand washed any on my vehicles in at least 10 years. I used to do it a lot but they get sandblasted by road spray as I drive 150’ish miles round trip daily, my driveway is road base, there’s always something flying off other vehicles/trucks and if I go to the deer lease it’s likely to get a new Texas pinstripe or two.

So these days I say screw it and I’ll run it through one of the automatic washes if it’s just really nasty or I let the dealership wash it when they change the oil and fuel filters in it.

The paint and clear coat on them are pretty resilient these days and I ain’t showing it in a car show.

It’s a tool to me. I keep it well maintained and reasonably clean and I use them completely up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Hell I’m thinking what is this hand wash you speak of.

I haven’t hand washed any on my vehicles in at least 10 years. I used to do it a lot but they get sandblasted by road spray as I drive 150’ish miles round trip daily, my driveway is road base, there’s always something flying off other vehicles/trucks and if I go to the deer lease it’s likely to get a new Texas pinstripe or two.

So these days I say screw it and I’ll run it through one of the automatic washes if it’s just really nasty or I let the dealership wash it when they change the oil and fuel filters in it.

The paint and clear coat on them are pretty resilient these days and I ain’t showing it in a car show.

It’s a tool to me. I keep it well maintained and reasonably clean and I use them completely up.

Ya, I get it. It’s pretty unrewarding to put in the time to wash only to get it messed up the next day. I used to wash weekly but I don’t anymore for that very reason. It’s about once a month now. I will say that I do get a good laugh when I see truck or SUV running down the road with a stripe running down the back. I have to think it’s a fellow who generally goes long periods without washing, then on a whim runs it through a gas station car wash. The brushes don’t come together on the back, and it ends up looking worse than not washing at all.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    After owning 2 black vehicles and trying to keep them immaculate…our cars see a machine wash maybe twice a month.

I don’t have time to keep them immaculate.

Best I can do is keep the clutter to a minimum.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I guess I take a more traditional approach. Water the car down to loosen crud, twice. Load up the bucket and get the old sponge, wash the wheels. Re-wet the car as I rinse each wheel. When the wheels are clean, dump the bucket, reload with soap and get the new/clean sponge. Wash the car, then go over it with the red turtle (Mothers Speed Clay). Rinse, dry with an Absorber (synthetic chamois), maybe polish it up with a microfiber and quick detailer if I'm so inclined. Finish up with some tire dressing and call it a day.
    Uhh...just like a peasant

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Put it to the test. Okay, not really. Performance of the truck and trailer wasn't in doubt.

A little heavy? Yep. A little far? Yep. A little extra stopping distance? Yep.

Drove a little slower than normal but was happy with the mileage.
    b65858666ac8e059b247244d3d58ac09.jpg
    5757ae77f5defb09265537f1ce4d7e39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom