Military Camp

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I did a brake job in the the wife's XT5 pads and rotors. I first had to take it over to discount tire for them to get off one stripped Lug nut and Loosen the other side. He claimed they were at 140 ft/lbs but they seemed tighter than that.
    :laughing: yeah... That's one of the reasons to never goto Discount Tire.

Find an independent tire shop where the owner/operator is also a car enthusiast. The extra $40 it might cost is well worth saving your lugs, brake rotors, side skirts, and possibly your whole car.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Went to Discount Tire for a rebalance and rotation. Upon pickup, I asked if they reset my tire pressure locations…manager goes to the shop, tech says he did. Perfect.

Halfway home, dash lights up like a Christmas tree, ABS/TCS/Stability control errors…I can feel ABS pulses thru the pedal every time I braked.

Got it home, a quick peek underneath and I can see my right-front wheel speed sensor wire dangling.

Take the wheel off, the wire is chaffed thru. The shop must have knocked loose the fastener that secures the wire.

IMG_1773.jpeg

I called DT, they said no problem, just bring the receipts and they’ll cover the repair. Super cool, very apologetic. I get it, shit happens.

I called the dealership…they can take a look next week. But they have the part in stock.

Meh…by the time I dick around taking it to the dealer, I may as well spend an hour and just knock it out myself.

Drive to the dealership. Pay $75 for it. Bring the part home. Installs easily.

Take a test drive to DT, show the manager the old part, receipt, and he opens the register and hands me $75 for the part. Easy peasy.

I get home, notice my rear tire psi is a bit too high…I forgot to tell them what to set it at. My bad.

So I let some air out. Hop in the driver seat to park my truck for the night…godammmit, dash shows low psi in front tires.

Yup, of course they didn’t reset the sensor locations.

Back to the Discount Tire I go…manager is like “what did we do this time”…I told him that I needed to get my sensor locations reset.

He says “didn’t you ask me about those…”
    I said “yup, and remember you walked back to the shop to ask the tech”…

He wasn’t happy, I said “I’m good, it’s between you and your tech now…”

We bumped fists and finally I could put this tire drama out to pasture.

So yeah, that’s what I did to my car today

:laughing:

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Sunday tried to order a new rear Dunlop for the bike from my 2 regular places. 1 was out of stock and the other bumped the price @$80 in the last few months. :mad:

Find it on "Walmart" (the D Zone) for about $40 less than last time and took a chance since it was specific model / size, said I'd get this Friday.

It arrived yesterday and was mfgd. September, I'm happy. :)

EDIT: Correction, I paid exactly 1 dollar more than last time.

Last edited:

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    :laughing: yeah... That's one of the reasons to never goto Discount Tire.

Find an independent tire shop where the owner/operator is also a car enthusiast. The extra $40 it might cost is well worth saving your lugs, brake rotors, side skirts, and possibly your whole car.
    Well they helped my wife out of a Jam when she was in Florida . They got two front tires for her and put them on the very next day as she was riding on the steel belts and never would have made it home.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Took me a couple of weekends, due to kiddo obligations, but new brakes, rotors, and calipers on the front of the OJ Bronco. Also repacked wheel bearings. Bought some new 31x10.5 Goodyear Wranglers and dropped off spare rims to get mounted.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Needed tires on the car, so ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s to replace the 3+s I had on it. Tires are mounted on 15 Feb, and one the drive home I noticed a bit of shimmy in the steering wheel; but I figured it might just be something to do with the brand-new tires.

Several days later, still a shimmy so I go back to DT to have them rebalance the tires. It's much better so I'm happy, but by the following Friday the shimmy is back. I had drill that weekend (24-25 Feb) so I have to wait to get it fixed (again).

Tuesday I am leaving work and I hear something in the tires. I pull over to find a piece of metal sticking out of the passenger rear tire (damn!). There's a Discount Tire a few miles away so I head straight to it. Guy tells me the less-than-two-week-old tire cannot be fixed, so they order a replacement which takes about an hour. I have to buy a new certificate for it, which is $36 out of my pocket; and I ask them to rebalance all four tires (again). I drive away, and the shimmy is still there. I'm not happy.

That night I got on Discount Tire's website and send their customer service a message outlining all of the above. I also make another appointment to balance the tires (for the fourth time) that Thursday.

While I am at that appointment, a manager comes out and talks with me. He says they just got the message from Discount Tire's Customer Service, and he will personally handle my case. Ten minutes later, he returns saying the Michelins are "out of round" and cannot be balanced. I am relieved that I am not going crazy, but wondering why they hadn't noticed that the first three times they tried to balance them!

Anyhow, they apologize and put a set of Continental ControlContact Sport SRS+ tires on it, transfer the certificates and refund me the difference minus the rebate Michelin was offering on the Pilot Sports. The shimmy is gone and all I need to do is get an alignment which I will do after a week or so of breaking in the new tires.

To their credit, Discount Tire was always helpful and didn't question my claims of a shimmy. While inconvenienced a bit, I am still happy with their customer service. The manager that handled the replacement even instructed me to contact him directly if I had any further issues (which I haven't). It was a bit of an ordeal, but the Connies are great tires and seem to be on par with the Pilot Sports despite being less expensive.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Sold my truck yesterday it gave us great memories and was dead nuts reliable sold it with 258K. Last picture I took of it as new owner was driving away.

New to me rig will be an 05 rubicon with a 3rd pedal cause I hate money.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpeg
      IMG_2970.jpeg
      453.3 KB · Views: 24

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Needed tires on the car, so ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s to replace the 3+s I had on it. Tires are mounted on 15 Feb, and one the drive home I noticed a bit of shimmy in the steering wheel; but I figured it might just be something to do with the brand-new tires.

Several days later, still a shimmy so I go back to DT to have them rebalance the tires. It's much better so I'm happy, but by the following Friday the shimmy is back. I had drill that weekend (24-25 Feb) so I have to wait to get it fixed (again).

Tuesday I am leaving work and I hear something in the tires. I pull over to find a piece of metal sticking out of the passenger rear tire (damn!). There's a Discount Tire a few miles away so I head straight to it. Guy tells me the less-than-two-week-old tire cannot be fixed, so they order a replacement which takes about an hour. I have to buy a new certificate for it, which is $36 out of my pocket; and I ask them to rebalance all four tires (again). I drive away, and the shimmy is still there. I'm not happy.

That night I got on Discount Tire's website and send their customer service a message outlining all of the above. I also make another appointment to balance the tires (for the fourth time) that Thursday.

While I am at that appointment, a manager comes out and talks with me. He says they just got the message from Discount Tire's Customer Service, and he will personally handle my case. Ten minutes later, he returns saying the Michelins are "out of round" and cannot be balanced. I am relieved that I am not going crazy, but wondering why they hadn't noticed that the first three times they tried to balance them!

Anyhow, they apologize and put a set of Continental ControlContact Sport SRS+ tires on it, transfer the certificates and refund me the difference minus the rebate Michelin was offering on the Pilot Sports. The shimmy is gone and all I need to do is get an alignment which I will do after a week or so of breaking in the new tires.

To their credit, Discount Tire was always helpful and didn't question my claims of a shimmy. While inconvenienced a bit, I am still happy with their customer service. The manager that handled the replacement even instructed me to contact him directly if I had any further issues (which I haven't). It was a bit of an ordeal, but the Connies are great tires and seem to be on par with the Pilot Sports despite being less expensive.
    I bought a new bottom-feeder Ford car almost 20 years ago for my long commute and it had a highway shimmy. Back to the dealership and they worked on it trying to determine the issue. Still had a shimmy and the car came with some offbrand Chinese tires so they told me to pick out any tires I wanted from Discount Tire and they'd pay. So top of the line tires. Next day, I still had a shimmy. I adjusted my door mirrors and noticed a slight out-of-round wobble on the plastic hubcaps. I stopped, pulled them off and the shimmy went away. I never told Ford and I spent $30 on some Walmart hubcaps that worked just fine.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio

Good to know. I was just looking at the Pilot 4’s for my car. I’m not liking the oem run flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Get the alignment checked. Chances are the car has too much toe angle. My hunch is they may have given you a sloppier tire to hide the problem and make you happy.

ETA: Factory specs often are a bit heavy on the toe. Case in point, the Camaro is supplied with two alignment specs - one for "street" and one for "track use". What's the difference? Double the toe angle on the street for starters.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom