Texas SOT

What is the best deal going on quality AR mags right now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Just curious, what difference does it make if it is an impingement rifle? Its still a goofy, awkward thing to look at or read even if it was hanging out of a SR556.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Expound please.

All of the blow down from the gas system from an impingement gun will render the windows useless if you use the mags. You'll be scrubbing the mag bodies often to keep them clean.

You can get the same thing on a suppressed piston gun too.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    All of the blow down from the gas system from an impingement gun will render the windows useless if you use the mags. You'll be scrubbing the mag bodies often to keep them clean.

Ah, I see. I'll have to test this for myself. I never personally felt the need to have windows, but i did pick up several at some point, only because I was able to get them dirt cheap (less than non-window).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't see how it's going to be that bad. I've seen mags that are decades old that see pretty regular use that haven't been cracked open to clean.

Don't buy too much into the "dirtyness" of the AR platform. Most of the gas gets vented out the side of the bolt. They're just not really that dirty.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just curious...if pmags work great for literaly everyone....why would you want to go with a GI mag when it only save you about $1 per mag? It appears that EVERY response you got said go PMAG.

They don't work great for everyone.

They probably have more problems than any mag ever made. They are definitely the most ECM'ed mag. I can count at least 5 revisions. They have cracking problems, don't drop free from many lowers, etc. Of course, recreational shooters do not see most of these problems.

The GI mag on the other hand, has a 40 year history. I still use VietNam era Mags I bought in the 70s. You cannot go wrong with a quality GI contract mag. it might not be the latest Gucci accessory, but you know it will work today and in 2050.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They don't work great for everyone.

They probably have more problems than any mag ever made. They are definitely the most ECM'ed mag. I can count at least 5 revisions. They have cracking problems, don't drop free from many lowers, etc. Of course, recreational shooters do not see most of these problems.

The GI mag on the other hand, has a 40 year history. I still use VietNam era Mags I bought in the 70s. You cannot go wrong with a quality GI contract mag. it might not be the latest Gucci accessory, but you know it will work today and in 2050.
    I guess "everyone" is one of those terms that should be avoided.
    My experience has been that out of the hundreds of LE agencies that use them I have never heard of any issues. I have owned plenty and have seen hundreds used in SWAT and other tactical applications and competitions and have yet to see one fail. Several personal friends who work as private security contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan swear by them and wont use anything else. My agency uses them and nothing else and they get tossed around trunks and abused pretty good, yet I have yet to see one crack or fail to feed.
    So I am sure that someone, somewhere, may have had an issue witha PMAG, I just cant find anyone that was around to see it.
    More problems than any mag ever made??? What is your basis for such an absurd claim?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    More problems than any mag ever made??? What is your basis for such an absurd claim?

(I meant AR mag, not all mags of any kind)

Ask MagPul how many times they have had to ECM the mag. Compare that to any other AR MFG.

Hopefully you are not betting your life on a mag Magpul stopped making due to reliability issues.

ETA:

And yes, I have PMAGS, not saying they are bad, just they have had some issues. Do not have the latest ECM to see if all is fixed though.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I dont think so. My current stock of mags is about a year old. When we bought new mags we talked to several agencies and miltary folk and looked at what many tac teams used. Also talked to some PJs who were training at Lackland. The reps from S&W, Bushmaster and the firearms guys at GT's all recomend them for any AR platform in LE use. You are literally the first person I have ever heard say something bad about them.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    .. I've seen used GI mags as low as $5. Worth a shot at that price I suppose, but I'm still going to stick with my PMags. I like turnkey, works right out of the gate kind of stuff. There's not really anything wrong with GI mags so long as you don't bend the feed lips and the follower is a no-tilt design... and you don't get a shitty vendor.

With a PMag, I know that none of those are worries. :D
    Sage pretty much summed it up.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I dont think so. My current stock of mags is about a year old. When we bought new mags we talked to several agencies and miltary folk and looked at what many tac teams used. Also talked to some PJs who were training at Lackland. The reps from S&W, Bushmaster and the firearms guys at GT's all recomend them for any AR platform in LE use. You are literally the first person I have ever heard say something bad about them.

You are good then, most of the ECM problems were in the first 2 years.

Top Bottom