• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmg88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Austin
    This morning for the DR’s appointment it was an AMT Back Up .45 with spare magazine in an IWB Holster; yesterday it was a custom made P35 in a shoulder holster. Later today it will be a Colt Combat Commander .45 or my Glock 19X.
    How do you like the AMT Back Up?

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Sig P365 or my newer Ruger LCP Max.

Have the 10, and 12 rd mags for both, which I download to 8, or 10 respectively, as I worry about the mag spring-reliability, especially in the newer LCP Max.

I prefer the P365, but the LCP Max is so sleek/thin in the pocket and much less bulky so it usually gets taken,
    as that is also my Keys pocket.

Both seem to be Broad side of Barn, after about 15 ft. :p

I usually keep one spare 10 or 12 rd mag with me, again downloaded by -2.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Something to think about

A reload - for a semi auto at least - is more for malfunction clearing and getting a gun running again, moreso than double the round count.

I call BS on his 40K video claim too - especially since he says he has *analyzed* 40,000 videos. If you figure an actual "analysis" of a 10 minute video takes at least 60 minutes - because you're going to be rewatching and taking notes, etc - if he did 8 video break downs a day, every day, that'd be 2,920 videos a year, meaning it would take almost 14 years of full-time job hours with *zero* days off to reach 40,000 videos.

His "off by a factor of 10" is a lot more believeable, and if he only analyzed 4 videos per day, every day, no days off, that's still 4 years of half-time equivalent work.

"I've never seen a private citizen reload" - ok, but he hasn't seen every video out there, or talked to private citizens who *have* had to reload, or read their accounts in the various gun rags.

Its fine if someone choses to forego a spare magazine, its all personal choice. I've left home without a spare before.

If a person is basing their decisions on low probability statistics, none of us *need* to carry a gun because the chance of *needing* it is exceedingly rare, and those that do need one don't *need* more than six rounds, because the average gun fight is half that. And they don't really *need* sights because most citizen shootings are at damn near contact range. So they could carry a melted 5 shot wheel gun and have everything they *need* for the *average* armed encounter. But if they *need* more than the wheel gun and they don't have it, they'll need the services of a good surgeon or a good funeral director.

I've had a handful of times in the last twenty years where I needed my firearm, I haven't needed to shoot anyone, but I definitely needed the gun. An unloaded gun would've accomplished the same task. I prefer it full of ammo anyway. And I prefer to prepare for Murphy to pop his ugly head up at any second and let loose some havoc.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    John Correia runs that channel for a living so I find it very plausible he’s analyzed that many videos.

I prefer to carry a reload myself but I think there is some veracity to his claims.

Jameeson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Usually g48 or g19. I'll mix in a g43 or a 1911.

I've been digging these ebay low pro holsters as of late
    IMG-6851.jpg

TXP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since they came out, it's been a Springfield Hellcat. It took the place of the Glock 43 that I carried for a few years.

I picked up a CZ P-01 for Christmas and that has gotten a surprising amount of carry time. Yeah, she's a little heavy, but there's something about those old school style CZs.

Layer this year I may split the difference and get something like the Hellcat Pro worth one of the fancy red dots on top.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wonder what my edc would be if I took every internet "experts" advice.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    No worries, you wouldn't be going anywhere from constantly changing your firearm.

Everyone is different, even the experts. What works best for them, may not work best for you. Carry what works best for you.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    How do you like the AMT Back Up?

mine isn't the .45 acp AMT backup, but it's an okay firearm. it's reasonably reliable and okay for casual plinking.

the main reason I own it is because it's part of the CA gun companies subset to my collection.

AMT380.jpeg

I wouldn't carry it as I stopped carrying guns with external safeties a few years back.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    John Correia runs that channel for a living so I find it very plausible he’s analyzed that many videos.

I prefer to carry a reload myself but I think there is some veracity to his claims.

He hasn't been a full time youtuber for 14 years. He's bounced around in a few different jobs - he was a pastor for a while. An employee of mine actually knows him and knew him before he ever got YouTube famous. Doesn't have glowing things to say about him, but that's beside the point.

40,000 videos to actually analyze would be a long career. 4,000 is a lot more believeable given the time frame he's been a full time YouTuber, which he wasn't when he started. He's one of the handful of toobers that got successful enough with monetization and sponsorships to make it their full time career, but just the video work, scripting, etc that goes into production is a full time job in itself, so the idea that he's spending 8 hrs a day analyzing videos that he then makes video break downs on - nah, that doesn't add up.

He might be listening to stuff in the background, skimming videos trying to find juicy stuff - but no way he's watched 40,000 use of force videos and analyzed them all. The math just doesn't add up, especially when you consider the training classes he's taken, the other jobs he's held while he was getting his YouTube off the ground, the time he spends in martial arts classes (he's a kenpo karate black belt and trains in brazilian jiu jitsu, I know that much)

He found a niche and became successful, and good on him for it. I just don't buy his claim of 40K videos, nor agree with a lot of his take aways. If we use his logic to its extreme, very few of us need to carry a gun, we'd be better served carrying med kits, fire extinguishers, and rape whistles and leaving the gun in the safe at home to save weight.

FWIW, I have a med kit and two fire extinguishers in my vehicle and in the kitchen and our bedroom - but I don't carry those with me on body like I do my gun and knife.

In my previous life, I spent anywhere from 8 to 15 hours a day on the road and I have been first, or one of the first on scene to car wrecks, medical emergencies, and fires. I've used my first aid equipment and training, and have gone thru a few fire extinguishers. I've also had a kitchen fire that I *wasn't* prepared for and had to use a neighbor's fire extinguisher to put it out (I was young and dumb, and that fire is the primary reason WHY I have a bunch of extinguishers now)

I put Correia in the same catagory as other you tubers / personalities. There's nuggets of good info, there's some bullshit, but most of it is just background noise. Kinda like Nutnfancy or Sootch.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    A reload - for a semi auto at least - is more for malfunction clearing and getting a gun running again, moreso than double the round count.

I call BS on his 40K video claim too - especially since he says he has *analyzed* 40,000 videos. If you figure an actual "analysis" of a 10 minute video takes at least 60 minutes - because you're going to be rewatching and taking notes, etc - if he did 8 video break downs a day, every day, that'd be 2,920 videos a year, meaning it would take almost 14 years of full-time job hours with *zero* days off to reach 40,000 videos.

His "off by a factor of 10" is a lot more believeable, and if he only analyzed 4 videos per day, every day, no days off, that's still 4 years of half-time equivalent work.

"I've never seen a private citizen reload" - ok, but he hasn't seen every video out there, or talked to private citizens who *have* had to reload, or read their accounts in the various gun rags.

Its fine if someone choses to forego a spare magazine, its all personal choice. I've left home without a spare before.

If a person is basing their decisions on low probability statistics, none of us *need* to carry a gun because the chance of *needing* it is exceedingly rare, and those that do need one don't *need* more than six rounds, because the average gun fight is half that. And they don't really *need* sights because most citizen shootings are at damn near contact range. So they could carry a melted 5 shot wheel gun and have everything they *need* for the *average* armed encounter. But if they *need* more than the wheel gun and they don't have it, they'll need the services of a good surgeon or a good funeral director.

I've had a handful of times in the last twenty years where I needed my firearm, I haven't needed to shoot anyone, but I definitely needed the gun. An unloaded gun would've accomplished the same task. I prefer it full of ammo anyway. And I prefer to prepare for Murphy to pop his ugly head up at any second and let loose some havoc.

Spot-on with every point, mirrors my 40 year experience. I’m an old guy who CC’d long before it was “authorized’.

I never had to shoot, or even draw; but have stopped several incipient street crimes by the very presence of a readily accessible pistol.

OTOH, having spent much of my life in Houston, New Orleans, and ON the Border; I usually carry several weapons and lots of ammo.

May GOD save us all and the USA !

leVieux

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Spot-on with every point, mirrors my 40 year experience. I’m an old guy who CC’d long before it was “authorized’.

I never had to shoot, or even draw; but have stopped several incipient street crimes by the very presence of a readily accessible pistol.

OTOH, having spent much of my life in Houston, New Orleans, and ON the Border; I usually carry several weapons and lots of ammo.

May GOD save us all and the USA !

leVieux
    If you didn't draw, how did you stop it, did you pull up your shirt or something?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I always carry a spare mag. It's not costing anything, can save your ass should the gun malfunction, or in the extremely rare chance you'll need to reload in a fight.

Most guns come with at least 2 mags, and my ammo all comes in 50rd boxes, so it costs absolutely nothing to toss a spare mag in your pocket

Top Bottom