What is your preferred self defense caliber and ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As the title says, what defensive caliber and ammo do you prefer? For a carry gun, home defense, out and about on your property, etc. Over the past year I've tried out quite a few different types such as Hydrashocks, Gold Dots, Black Hills, etc. I usually keep my P220 45acp loaded with Corbon PowRBall 165gr. The rounds are rated at, 1225fps (out of a 5" barrel, so a bit less with my 4.4"), and 550ft/lbs as advertised by Corbon. I really like these rounds. The round nose design, thanks to the polymer ball cap, really seems to aid in feeding. In some of the 9mm guns I have or have had the PowRBalls seemed to cure any feeding issues I've had in other brand open nose JHP's.

For 9mm I've really taken a liking to Corbon's conventional JHP design in addition to the PowRBalls. The 90gr is rated at 1500fps (4" barrel I believe), and 450ft/lbs. Though the only 9mm I have at the moment won't feed any JHP's (haven't tried the PowRBalls on it yet though).

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here are some pics of the respective ammo I mentioned above:

Corbon Pow R Ball 165gr 45acp

tn_100_0961.png

tn_100_0962.png

Corbon 9mm 90gr

tn_100_0963.png

tn_100_0964.png

One nice little feature that is very obvious in both of these calibers is that Corbon does a good job at providing a pretty substantial extra crimp to prevent bullet setback.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    .45 ACP, 230 gr, HP. Currently carrying Win brand but almost any major brand in this configuration will do the job.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

Top Bottom