• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    To say that it is better and possibly faster to learn from an instructor, I would have to agree. To say that nobody can learn on their own, I would have to disagree. Teaching styles have changed over the years due to the fact that others have learned how to do it better, and somebody had to do that on their own.

Roach011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2017
    Mansfield
    You are pushing your idea in a black or white way. Not pushing people.

You disagree with what I’m doing? Which part? Why is that?

Context for proficiency is a real life scenario which training can not replicate. I go to matches to replicate context the best I can. But matches are not really “formal training” are they?

Define “good” as it relates to training.

The class I’m taking is at Pearland Shooting Club. It’s a monthly women’s class that always has some new shooters in it. We will be reviewing fundamentals the first few classes of this year, which I don’t mind. There’s much worse ways to spend $15 and three hours of my month.

And, you misinterpret: I’m NOT against training. I’m against how you are presenting the need for certain types of training as you describe it. Big difference.

So its not what i'm saying, but how i'm saying it?

matches are not training, but they are great practice.

Good training - competent instructors providing effective feedback on well vetted and reliable technique in a safe environment w/ effective context for the situations discussed. I also require that the instructor have trained him/herself within 6 months to a year. I want to learn from the eternal student.

Help me understand how you're receiving what i'm saying so that i might better articulate the message. What type of training am i describing?

Roach011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2017
    Mansfield
    To say that it is better and possibly faster to learn from an instructor, I would have to agree. To say that nobody can learn on their own, I would have to disagree. Teaching styles have changed over the years due to the fact that others have learned how to do it better, and somebody had to do that on their own.

Very interesting! I agree. one question: why learn on your own when the knowledge exist? You could learn to perform surgery on your own but why would you want to do that when people have already discovered waht works and doesn't work? (removing extenuating circumstances like I'm dirt poor, or serious isolation etc.)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Why do you think that? Based on what? There is a lot of evidence that contradicts the idea of carrying a gun off body if the intent is self defense.
    Because if you properly buckle your seatbelt, you just added another layer of interference in drawing from a belt holstered handgun. Mine stays within arms length and easily drawn.

That's all I'm adding to this conversation.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    What area (country, state, city, etc.) are you from?
    Do you carry 100% of you're waking hours?
    Are there places you must go that you cannot carry? What do you do to supplement your inability to carry somewhere?

Roach011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2017
    Mansfield
    What area (country, state, city, etc.) are you from?
    Do you carry 100% of you're waking hours?
    Are there places you must go that you cannot carry? What do you do to supplement your inability to carry somewhere?

Though i don't understand the relevance, i'm hoping someone is making a point soon...
    From Jacksonville Florida, being in a military family sent us to San Deigo, CA...graduated college and relocated to DFW.

i carry 100% of the time in places i'm legally allowed to. While i avoid gun free zones as much as possible, typically the post office requires me to disarm. I have taken combatives include BJJ to help supplement. I also carry a Taser as a back up if i know i'm going to a place that requires my gun to be off my person. I also have trauma medical training so even unarmed, I'm an asset to myself and the folks around me.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm asking similar type questions that you have been asking for 16 pages, more or less. Relevancy is, of course, how you plan to protect yourself in a case of a deadly threat where you are not armed with a firearm. I don't understand why my questions appear to be objectionable to you since you have been asking questions for many pages. Just curious as I have no other motive.

Roach011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2017
    Mansfield
    I'm asking similar type questions that you have been asking for 16 pages, more or less. Relevancy is, of course, how you plan to protect yourself in a case of a deadly threat where you are not armed with a firearm. I don't understand why my questions appear to be objectionable to you since you have been asking questions for many pages. Just curious as I have no other motive.
    I haven't asked anywhere where they are from or live unless it was to help them find local training options?

Roach011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2017
    Mansfield
    Florida abd California, are quite a bit different that Texas, (maybe not so much Florida). In Texas one will find a very great difference in attitudes regarding firearms in the cities and in the rural areas.
    Yea, i've lived where the right to defend yourself isnt recognized. It's not fun. The amount of people who are lackadaisical about self defense is outside of my ability to understand. Why anyone would not want to give themselves the best possible chance to survive. is beyond me.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Very interesting! I agree. one question: why learn on your own when the knowledge exist? You could learn to perform surgery on your own but why would you want to do that when people have already discovered waht works and doesn't work? (removing extenuating circumstances like I'm dirt poor, or serious isolation etc.)

Why? Many many reasons why.

Limited time and resources. I’m by no means dirt poor (household income well over $100,000) but I’m going to have to REALLY budget to go to the $400 conference this Spring. I have kids with braces, kids in college, cars that need repairs so teens can dive them. What’s to say that some $650 training class I take today is gonna benefit me tomorrow any different from my tomorrow response to the same scenario (say, home invasion) vs how I respond today? Why feel such pressure to make that huge investment if I don’t need to? Or want to?

Also, it can be satisfying to take things in on your own terms and at your own speed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yea, i've lived where the right to defend yourself isnt recognized. It's not fun. The amount of people who are lackadaisical about self defense is outside of my ability to understand. Why anyone would not want to give themselves the best possible chance to survive. is beyond me.

How many classes have you taken in hand to hand combat?

Have you taken any serious driving courses? Honestly, those would probably be far more likely to increase you odds of surviving day to day. Do you have a 5 point harness in your vehicle, wear a helmet, etc?

There is a scale to everything. There is a point where someone will decide they are satisfied with the steps they have taken to prepare. Given that you are far more likely to be involved in a vehicle incident than an armed confrontation, the driving classes would make far more sense. Would they not?

Top Bottom