• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks. I have had to do it in several classes. Lose money but guess what.....I and many CHL holders, and I am sure I can include you, do not want unsafe idiots carrying a firearm concealed or open, regardless of the 2nd amendment. Society is much more cosmopolitan, diverse, and congested on the streets than what our founders experienced.

So you believe there should be some arbitrary line that is drawn in the sand before allowing someone to exercise their constitutional rights.

And where should this line be drawn? Who determines just how much "proficiency" a person should have? For you think this line would not be used against us?

The fact that the course as been shortened, among other things, does not indicate a love towards more requirements and restriction. Your logic is flawed.

As to other states: it doesn't matter what they do or which direction they are heading. Their requirements have no effect on getting a Texas CHL.
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I also don't believe for one second that you refunded anyone's money after failing your class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am an instructor and it is coming. Not sure when.

NRA instructor cert is simply one avenue to qualify for the CHL instructor license, for which attending the CHL instructor class in Austin is still required. Nonetheless, that is not the substance or point of my thread.

Let me be clear. I never mentioned pending legislation. What I am simply stating is that in my CIRCILE OF INFLUENCE which is expansive, completing the NRA Basic Pistol course will become a prerequisite to complete before attending the CHL licensing course to carry a concealed firearm. Again, it is just a matter of time and due course. And yes, no pending legislation yet.

A few posters need to review my profile. My credentials on gun laws, matters of CHL and the NRA is beyond reproach. Challenge me at your own peril.:)

No one stated anything as "fact".
    You stated it as fact over and over again.

Troll

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    TXI may not be the most popular guy around here and although he's not always correct...many times he is and he at least attempts to back up his thoughts and opinions with verifiable data. In this case he is right.

I'm also a CHL and NRA intructor and think you're full of shit OP.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    You stated it as fact over and over again.

Troll

No need for the ad hominem (e.g., Troll).

I have made myself clear on my meaning in my various posts. Redundancy is apparently required with you, so let me say it again, if I do not "source" a statement, please take it as "opinion".

Look forward to more dialogue. Have a good day.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thanks. I have had to do it in several classes. Lose money but guess what.....I and many CHL holders, and I am sure I can include you, do not want unsafe idiots carrying a firearm concealed or open, regardless of the 2nd amendment. Society is much more cosmopolitan, diverse, and congested on the streets than what our founders experienced.

I'm all for everyone being able to carry a gun, up to and including felons. It'd be nice if everyone knew how to safely handle a firearm, but I'm not about to make it a requirement to own and carry a gun.

The next thing I expect coming out of your mouth is support for Fire Arms restrictions in Congress and Senate, because the founders couldn't forsee AR15s and Machine guns running around in the street, eh?

Go research up on the Puckle gun..... In existence before the Constitution was even signed.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    TXI,
    Save your rational, fact based retorts for someone who can at least argue the finer points with you.

I am am sure we will go round and round again at some point. ;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No. While the extra bit of assurance you can operate a handgun is nice, there is no real need for it currently. You still have to demonstrate you know how to use the firearm. If you can't, then why did you take the class?

I am an instructor and it is coming. Not sure when.

NRA instructor cert is simply one avenue to qualify for the CHL instructor license, for which attending the CHL instructor class in Austin is still required. Nonetheless, that is not the substance or point of my thread.

Let me be clear. I never mentioned pending legislation. What I am simply stating is that in my CIRCILE OF INFLUENCE which is expansive, completing the NRA Basic Pistol course will become a prerequisite to complete before attending the CHL licensing course to carry a concealed firearm. Again, it is just a matter of time and due course. And yes, no pending legislation yet.

A few posters need to review my profile. My credentials on gun laws, matters of CHL and the NRA is beyond reproach. Challenge me at your own peril.:)

No need for the ad hominem (e.g., Troll).

I have made myself clear on my meaning in my various posts. Redundancy is apparently required with you, so let me say it again, if I do not "source" a statement, please take it as "opinion".

Look forward to more dialogue. Have a good day.

Your posts are the definition of troll. Throw out bullshit you know is false, then when called you say it was your "opinion".

Good day to you.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Of course they wouldn't roll the NRA basic pistol course into the Texas CHL course.......never thought they would...

But I still don't think they will require the NRA basic pistol course for Texas Residents to get a CHL in the future....ever.

Now, there may well be folks that will try to con the Legislators into backing something I see as unconstitutional and downright un-Texan...

Do you believe it should be a requirement for CHL and Texas should pass legislation to make it happen?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The NRA Basic Pistol course is honestly crap anyways, and really wouldn't do much more than the CHL class to turn out more competent shooters. Plenty of easier, more effective, and less time-consuming ways to do a Basic Pistol course.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If only ... we convinced our school boards to introduce Eddy Eagle in First Grade, and the NRA Basic Pistol Course in 12th Grade as a graduation requirement.

Then, we would have a large body of people educated in the safe manipulation of firearms.

The licensing of "Concealed Carry" is by definition an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms.

Why do so many people consider "Licensed Carry" a right instead of a limitation on their rights?

We are overwhelmed by regulation, and far too many find comfort in government instead of the difficult choices that have to be made in a truly free society.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    The NRA Basic Pistol course is honestly crap anyways, and really wouldn't do much more than the CHL class to turn out more competent shooters. Plenty of easier, more effective, and less time-consuming ways to do a Basic Pistol course.

Have you successfully passed the NRA Basic Pistol course? The reason I ask is because it's purpose is not to turn out competent shooters, but to introduce the basic and proper shooting techniques to beginners (and folks who think they know how to shoot a firearm correctly) utilizing the basic fundamentals, emphasizing gun safety. I am not sure of your background, but the premise of CHL classes is that folks already know how to shoot a firearm using proper fundamentals and my experience has shown that is far from the case. The CHL class is good on gun laws, but really short on shooting fundamentals and particularly gun safety. I augment my CHL classes with my expertise.

But, thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Iamntxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    If only ... we convinced our school boards to introduce Eddy Eagle in First Grade, and the NRA Basic Pistol Course in 12th Grade as a graduation requirement.

Then, we would have a large body of people educated in the safe manipulation of firearms.

The licensing of "Concealed Carry" is by definition an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms.

Why do so many people consider "Licensed Carry" a right instead of a limitation on their rights?

We are overwhelmed by regulation, and far too many find comfort in government instead of the difficult choices that have to be made in a truly free society.

Bingo. You get it.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio

+1 - I do not understand why we can't have this. There are (supposedly) 9 guns to every 10 Americans in this country. With odds like that, you'd think it would be common sense to educate children and High School students at least, how to be safe around a firearm when handling it.

Top Bottom