• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    This. Bought it the day after my 21st birthday... and yes... I still have it!

It was pretty custom by 80's standards... bushed barrel, S&W adjustable rear sight milled into slide... super light trigger (too light actually, had to have it replaced because it would follow the slide home). It's the wife's favorite gun, she just shot it last Friday. :) Springfield_45_Commander_weight.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    And, do you still have it.

Hill Billy,

A circa 1942 British Enfield COMMANDO in .38-200, for which I paid TEN BUCKS at the Canton 1st Monday in 1964.
    (The vendor had a 30 gallon trashcan FULL of them, your choice for 5-15 bucks each.)

I traded it even for an old/rather tired-looking GIBSON banjo about 3 months later.

My first "duty revolver" was a pre-WWII S&W M&P (later called: Model 10), with holster/cuffs/Sam Brown belt & about half a box of .38SPL ammo that my mother bought me (I was too young to buy a pistol.) for 40.oo, so that I could go to work as a Deputy Constable at age 18.
    (I liked to have ever "lived down" my department nickname: KID COP.)
    Note: For years, "department comedians" asked me at roll-call, "Say Tex, has your mommy bought you anything lately??"

yours, satx

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    Marlin tube fed .22 LR, H&R .22 9 shot revolver. Later I ended up with a Winchester .30-06 for watching a Jewish neighbors dogs, and taking care of the few plants and trees he had. Then I obtained a 16 gauge pump shotgun. Those were my very first weapons. He was a nice old guy. He used try to teach me (the math challenged) and I think it used to make him drink vodka while he tried.

Last edited:

Just Geri

Well-Known
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Smith & Wesson Chief's Special Model 36. My Dad gave it to me. He bought it brand new when he was younger and never shot it. I have the box, papers, and accessories. I still carry it at certain times. I don't know why some people think it is odd that I carry a .38 Special sometimes and semi-automatics at other times.

chip&aprayer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2017
    Colt 45 1911. First pistol I bought with my own money as an adult in my early twenties. Friend's neighbor was in a bind and gave it to me for $300. Great condition, damn near new. He had inherited it and didn't know what it was worth. TBH I didnt either at the time but saw a few auctions online starting at around $600 so offered him half that. I was in a bind about 5 years later and sold it in the newspaper for $900. Always regretted having to sell it.

First rifle was a mini 14 I got at a pawn shop for about $400 out the door. It was an old one, all wood stock. A lot of people dog on those guns but I liked the hell out of it. It was really fun to shoot. Sold it to a close friend for the same price I bought it for a few years later when I was in the same bind mentioned above. He moved to Hawaii and took it with him. Over there you have to register a gun within a few days of bringing it over. (I think that's how it works, never been through it myself, just going off memory from what he told me.) So he took it to the police department to do so. A few days later they called him and told him the gun was stolen and they had to confiscate it. Apparently it was stolen from a dead person's home just after he died. I still had my receipt and talked to the pawn shop and gave them the police report. This was at least 3 or 4 years after I bought it. They actually cut me a check to refund the full amount that I paid. Luckily it was one of those pawn shops that was a national chain and I talked to someone in their corporate office. I always wondered if a mom and pop shop would have refunded me. That's still something I'd like to know because it kind of affects whether I buy guns from small independent shops. Probably a case specific thing, just depending on the shop, or are they supposed to issue a refund by law? I mean I'm sure you could take them to small claims court but don't know if it'd be worth it in most cases.

Edit to include rifle story.

Last edited:

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    Ruger single six in 1967 right after I got out of the USAF. I traded it off but I don't recall what for.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easy rider,

When VK was in her final days at Baylor Hospital in 1984, I sold my 4" snake to buy gas for 400 bucks.
    What those revolver sell for today is "JUST NUTS", imo.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    easy rider,

When VK was in her final days at Baylor Hospital in 1984, I sold my 4" snake to buy gas for 400 bucks.
    What those revolver sell for today is "JUST NUTS", imo.

yours, satx
    That's pretty much why I don't have one now, way too much. I'm hoping Colt might take the hint from S&W, who is reintroducing some of their discontinued models, and follow suit.

Top Bottom