Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The morning commute for Dallas is not for the faint of heart and anyone so miffed that they would spend the time and money looking up my personal information just to send a letter is just some passive aggressive schmuck who doesn't have the cojones to do anything in person.
    I kinda agree with you, except that if someone drives insanely enough to endanger my life, having "the cojones to do anything in person" would entail driving my car into theirs. As often as I've considered doing just that, I've never actually given in to the temptation.

Overall, the person who sent you the letter was doing about the best they could to "have the cojones to do anything", considering the circumstances.

Now, I do know of a PI who would call his office, run a plate, cross-reference with phone data, and get the cell number of any driver who pissed him off. Then he'd call that person, tell them they were driving like a jerk, and inform them that he was on their bumper. Then he'd wave at them. They often pulled off on the shoulder in fear.

That's going too far.

So the guy who sent you the letter seems to have found a reasonable middle ground between "doing nothing" and "stalking and/or assault".

:)
    ARJ Defense ad

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I don't drive like a maniac but I am as aggressive as anyone in Dallas traffic. I drive small cars usually and if I have an opening to break away from a pack of Ford F150's that always seem to congregate around me I'm going to. Nothing is more prone to accidents than a wolf pack on the road and for some reason people seem insistent on doing it anyway. I'm positive considering the location mentioned in the letter that they were probably in one of those packs when I tried to breakaway and didn't appreciate it.

Tough cookies, it's a big road with lots of open spaces. Break it up, people. I don't like being boxed in and I make it a point of not flanking someone in their blind spot to. I'm extremely defensive.

That said, I've dealt with plenty of jerkwads who do legitimately dangerous manuevers. I cuss them out and go my way. Eventually, their stupidity will catch up to them. I just hope I am NOT around when it happens.

Why can't people just have a polite discussion when they disagree? (Irony in re the current venue fully intended, btw.)

Beats me. We live in such a passive aggressive culture these days and everyone is so afraid of offending someone that I think they avoid anything that might look like confrontation. The bad news is, genuine a-holes have no issue with confrontation and seem to get away with everything these days because they don't care.

I don't seek out confrontation because that is what an a-hole does, but I don't shy from it either. You did right by your neighbor and an uncomfortable conversation with you may have saved him a huge headache later. Why didn't your neighbors do anything? Apathy.

We'll standby and do nothing because it is "none of our business" but vote in every new law because "something must be done". I really don't get that modern mentality.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nothing is more prone to accidents than a wolf pack on the road and for some reason people seem insistent on doing it anyway.
    I strongly share your dislike for wolf packs. If slower drivers would keep to the right, most of those clumps wouldn't form.

... jerkwads who do legitimately dangerous manuevers. I cuss them out and go my way. Eventually, their stupidity will catch up to them. I just hope I am NOT around when it happens.
    I don't know that I entirely agree; instant karma can be fun to see as long as you're not too close.

I was driving home on a perfectly straight and level toll road. Afternoon traffic was not yet heavy since it wasn't late enough for rush hour. Speed limit is 65 and everyone is bopping along, safely separated, at about 75. All is good.

Out of nowhere, it seems, an ancient, clapped-out, full-size blue GMC van blows through traffic, weaving around cars like he's on an autocross course with really big cones.

Normally, that would be a "Man, what a jerk!" moment and I'd forget about it. However, this day was different. It was one of those wonderful Texas weather days when the sun is out, shining bright, but you can see a few hundred yards down the highway a solid curtain of rain. I mean a solid, overcome-the-wipers-and-"grey-out"-your-vision downpour.

I thought to myself "Boy, that guy better slow down or he's gonna have trouble."

When I hit the rain, like everyone else, I had to slow to about 20-30MPH just to be able to see out of my front window. Then everybody slowed down a bunch more, far more than conditions required. After creeping along for a couple of minutes, it came into sight: that blue van was upside down, blocking the center lane. I didn't see any other damaged vehicles.

I think it takes some real effort to put your vehicle on its roof on a perfectly flat, straight road...but this driver obviously had the skills to do it. :)

We live in such a passive aggressive culture these days and everyone is so afraid of offending someone that I think they avoid anything that might look like confrontation. The bad news is, genuine a-holes have no issue with confrontation and seem to get away with everything these days because they don't care.
    Wait a minute; I lost you. Are you talking about society in general or TGT in particular? :)

You did right by your neighbor and an uncomfortable conversation with you may have saved him a huge headache later. Why didn't your neighbors do anything? Apathy.
    Screw apathy. I lost my dad at a young age and my heart went out to him. He was too young to have that house dumped on him (his job couldn't pay for it) and he'd just lost his last parent. The conversation wasn't uncomfortable at all. He was relieved to be in the know. I was gratified to offer him and his girl a little comfort in a trying time. It was a win-win, all around.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Definitely not written by a Christian, just another Fifth Columnist doin' their thing.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I notice the "letter" was not signed by a named individual. If it had been, I would have returned it with one suggesting he/she/they/it move if they don't like it.

I also walked out of a church during the sermon when an anti-gun pastor was ranting about guns. He asked as I was leaving where I was going. My response was in a loud clear voice and I said, To find a church that practices religion not misguided liberal politics.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I notice the "letter" was not signed by a named individual. If it had been, I would have returned it with one suggesting he/she/they/it move if they don't like it.

I also walked out of a church during the sermon when an anti-gun pastor was ranting about guns. He asked as I was leaving where I was going. My response was in a loud clear voice and I said, To find a church that practices religion not misguided liberal politics.
    Amen brother! I try to leave the secular world behind when I enter God's house but some don't. Two weeks ago a retired Air Force Vet who usually sits next to my wife and I started spewin' off about the "TEA Party nut-jobs wantin' to shoot everybody!" Y'all would've been proud of me, I didn't take the bait and simply told him that those TEA Party folks are everywhere!

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Amen brother! I try to leave the secular world behind when I enter God's house but some don't. Two weeks ago a retired Air Force Vet who usually sits next to my wife and I started spewin' off about the "TEA Party nut-jobs wantin' to shoot everybody!" Y'all would've been proud of me, I didn't take the bait and simply told him that those TEA Party folks are everywhere!
    So there is hope after all.:o Good for you.:o

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'd have a sticker made to place beside the NRA sticker or I'd put up a sign in the vehicle window:

"Ask me why I support NRA and the 2nd Amendment. I'll be pleased to discuss it with you."

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If I had a high school aged girl who left home to go live with an older man he'd get more than a drive by.

The neighbors wouldn't know a thing though. Neither would my daughter. Her boyfriend would simply "not come home" one day and I'd be there to bring her home and help her with what ever issues she had.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    If I had a high school aged girl who left home to go live with an older man he'd get more than a drive by.

The neighbors wouldn't know a thing though. Neither would my daughter. Her boyfriend would simply "not come home" one day and I'd be there to bring her home and help her with what ever issues she had.

Horribly off-topic here, but the "older man" in Ben's story is actually younger than me - just 20 years old. Not 30, not 40 - 20. Did you miss that part, or are you just that set in your beliefs that the exact age gap doesn't matter to you?

On-topic now. If I got a letter like that, I'd either shred it and use it to light my grill or take it to the range and use it as a sight-in target. No sense wasting perfectly good paper.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The message, disguised as a religious message, is not to have an NRA or firearm sticker on your vehicle.

As many security experts advise, don't advertise you own firearms.

Affirm your support for gun rights at the ballot box, not on your personal vehicle.

A vehicle parked in your drive way with gun stickers is an invitation for a burglary in search of guns.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I don't advertise anything but a scowl to swarthy people. I am a big guy, normal sized car, no bumper stickers, and a 45 caliber handgun.
    No one messes with me.

Top Bottom