• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Corned beef with carrots, potaes, and cabbage cooked in th e instant pot with onion garlic and Shiner beer. Served with home made the bread.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    E7321E88-5C22-4116-8C11-49223EFFA86C.jpeg
    028C3FB9-1E40-4F58-A9CE-E6B51EFBDE5E.jpeg

Spatchcock yardbird & sweet potato

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Enjoyed the remainder of the corned beef I cooked on Friday (I think) along with the rest of the white turnips & parsnips. Delicious and Skye, my mongrel, thought so too as far as the corned beef went.

We polished off the left over corner beef and cabbage tonight as well!

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Smoked pork chops. Can’t find them anywhere locally, so I invested in a cooler full last time I drove out to visit Mom in Las Vegas. Grew up on them in Kansas, and Mom found them at a butcher in Vegas. Can’t find them in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Smoked pork chops. Can’t find them anywhere locally, so I invested in a cooler full last time I drove out to visit Mom in Las Vegas. Grew up on them in Kansas, and Mom found them at a butcher in Vegas. Can’t find them in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How hard are they to make? What makes them a smoked pork chop?

Reason I ask, I have heard of them, but never heard what it takes to make them a smoked pork chop. Very curious.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How hard are they to make? What makes them a smoked pork chop?

Reason I ask, I have heard of them, but never heard what it takes to make them a smoked pork chop. Very curious.
    Axxe it starts out as a whole pork loin that is cured & smoked. It's not smoke some pork chops. I remember getting the whole loins & cutting & packaging them as an apprentice meat cutter. I think most meat cutter took the first slice to square up the loin & ate it while they cut the rest of the loin. I know I always did, someone the very en of the loin too.

For the most part they come prepackaged from Smithfield & could be in a few different place in the market. I've seen them in the fresh meat case, next to the meals ready to eat section, with the smoked hocks & salt pork and in the smoked sausage section.

Being Smithfield hasn't helped them sell since the Chicoms bought the label. Had a friend who was the Meat Dept Q.C. for Randall's. He inspected Smithfield before China & said it was a filthy shit whole, one can only imagine what it is now.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe it starts out as a whole pork loin that is cured & smoked. It's not smoke some pork chops. I remember getting the whole loins & cutting & packaging them as an apprentice meat cutter. I think most meat cutter took the first slice to square up the loin & ate it while they cut the rest of the loin. I know I always did, someone the very en of the loin too.

For the most part they come prepackaged from Smithfield & could be in a few different place in the market. I've seen them in the fresh meat case, next to the meals ready to eat section, with the smoked hocks & salt pork and in the smoked sausage section.

Being Smithfield hasn't helped them sell since the Chicoms bought the label. Had a friend who was the Meat Dept Q.C. for Randall's. He inspected Smithfield before China & said it was a filthy shit whole, one can only imagine what it is now.

I gotcha. Makes more sense now. It's not just smoking a pork chop.

Far as I know, I have never had a smoked pork chop. Might see if I can locate some and try them out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I gotcha. Makes more sense now. It's not just smoking a pork chop.

Far as I know, I have never had a smoked pork chop. Might see if I can locate some and try them out.
    It’s been a while since I worked, but they tended to not sell where I had been. I remember seeing them @ Brookshire Brother’s in Jewett.

The flavor is that of a dry Canadian Bacon. The bad news is being pre-packed your stuck with one thickness. When I cut them from a whole loin I would cut some thick cut ones.

They make a great breakfast chop! Pan fried in a little bacon grease to get some carmelization. I also liked them with fried cabbage or kraut.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    It’s been a while since I worked, but they tended to not sell where I had been. I remember seeing them @ Brookshire Brother’s in Jewett.

The flavor is that of a dry Canadian Bacon. The bad news is being pre-packed your stuck with one thickness. When I cut them from a whole loin I would cut some thick cut ones.

They make a great breakfast chop! Pan fried in a little bacon grease to get some carmelization. I also liked them with fried cabbage or kraut.

They are cured, like a ham. We were able to get them from the butcher in any thickness desired (2 inches standard). I cook them a couple minutes a side over high heat on the grill. Carmelizes the little fat on the outside and leaves nice grill marks and golden sear. Nice and juicy inside.

I have been unable to find them in local stores or butchers here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom