• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Corned beef with carrots, potaes, and cabbage cooked in th e instant pot with onion garlic and Shiner beer. Served with home made the bread.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    E7321E88-5C22-4116-8C11-49223EFFA86C.jpeg
    028C3FB9-1E40-4F58-A9CE-E6B51EFBDE5E.jpeg

Spatchcock yardbird & sweet potato

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Enjoyed the remainder of the corned beef I cooked on Friday (I think) along with the rest of the white turnips & parsnips. Delicious and Skye, my mongrel, thought so too as far as the corned beef went.

We polished off the left over corner beef and cabbage tonight as well!

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Smoked pork chops. Can’t find them anywhere locally, so I invested in a cooler full last time I drove out to visit Mom in Las Vegas. Grew up on them in Kansas, and Mom found them at a butcher in Vegas. Can’t find them in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Smoked pork chops. Can’t find them anywhere locally, so I invested in a cooler full last time I drove out to visit Mom in Las Vegas. Grew up on them in Kansas, and Mom found them at a butcher in Vegas. Can’t find them in Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How hard are they to make? What makes them a smoked pork chop?

Reason I ask, I have heard of them, but never heard what it takes to make them a smoked pork chop. Very curious.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How hard are they to make? What makes them a smoked pork chop?

Reason I ask, I have heard of them, but never heard what it takes to make them a smoked pork chop. Very curious.
    Axxe it starts out as a whole pork loin that is cured & smoked. It's not smoke some pork chops. I remember getting the whole loins & cutting & packaging them as an apprentice meat cutter. I think most meat cutter took the first slice to square up the loin & ate it while they cut the rest of the loin. I know I always did, someone the very en of the loin too.

For the most part they come prepackaged from Smithfield & could be in a few different place in the market. I've seen them in the fresh meat case, next to the meals ready to eat section, with the smoked hocks & salt pork and in the smoked sausage section.

Being Smithfield hasn't helped them sell since the Chicoms bought the label. Had a friend who was the Meat Dept Q.C. for Randall's. He inspected Smithfield before China & said it was a filthy shit whole, one can only imagine what it is now.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe it starts out as a whole pork loin that is cured & smoked. It's not smoke some pork chops. I remember getting the whole loins & cutting & packaging them as an apprentice meat cutter. I think most meat cutter took the first slice to square up the loin & ate it while they cut the rest of the loin. I know I always did, someone the very en of the loin too.

For the most part they come prepackaged from Smithfield & could be in a few different place in the market. I've seen them in the fresh meat case, next to the meals ready to eat section, with the smoked hocks & salt pork and in the smoked sausage section.

Being Smithfield hasn't helped them sell since the Chicoms bought the label. Had a friend who was the Meat Dept Q.C. for Randall's. He inspected Smithfield before China & said it was a filthy shit whole, one can only imagine what it is now.

I gotcha. Makes more sense now. It's not just smoking a pork chop.

Far as I know, I have never had a smoked pork chop. Might see if I can locate some and try them out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I gotcha. Makes more sense now. It's not just smoking a pork chop.

Far as I know, I have never had a smoked pork chop. Might see if I can locate some and try them out.
    It’s been a while since I worked, but they tended to not sell where I had been. I remember seeing them @ Brookshire Brother’s in Jewett.

The flavor is that of a dry Canadian Bacon. The bad news is being pre-packed your stuck with one thickness. When I cut them from a whole loin I would cut some thick cut ones.

They make a great breakfast chop! Pan fried in a little bacon grease to get some carmelization. I also liked them with fried cabbage or kraut.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    It’s been a while since I worked, but they tended to not sell where I had been. I remember seeing them @ Brookshire Brother’s in Jewett.

The flavor is that of a dry Canadian Bacon. The bad news is being pre-packed your stuck with one thickness. When I cut them from a whole loin I would cut some thick cut ones.

They make a great breakfast chop! Pan fried in a little bacon grease to get some carmelization. I also liked them with fried cabbage or kraut.

They are cured, like a ham. We were able to get them from the butcher in any thickness desired (2 inches standard). I cook them a couple minutes a side over high heat on the grill. Carmelizes the little fat on the outside and leaves nice grill marks and golden sear. Nice and juicy inside.

I have been unable to find them in local stores or butchers here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom