• ...and so much more!
  • jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    jetcycles,

GOOD DEAL.

I had ZERO chance to NOT learn to cook, as both my Aunt Mary Kyle & my governess, "Sister" Willie Mae, started me cooking while standing on a tall stool, so that I could see to cook.

yours, satx
    I find comfort in the kitchen, I try to pass on my knowledge because knowledge not shared is lost in my humble opinion. I had to learn to cook at an early age, or go hungry at times. Dad was always working, and mom was just being...mom. I'll never let my girls go hungry, I know how sh!tty that feels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I find comfort in the kitchen, I try to pass on my knowledge because knowledge not shared is lost in my humble opinion. I had to learn to cook at an early age, or go hungry at times. Dad was always working, and mom was just being...mom. I'll never let my girls go hungry, I know how sh!tty that feels.

In between my mother and my stepmother, when my father was single, during the week when he was busy working, he kept my brother and I stocked up on TV dinners! We would make a weekly run to the grocery store to get TV dinners, Eggo waffles, and other stuff for the week. Friday and Saturday nights, Dad took us out to eat at one of the local restaurants, and a movie at the drive-in one of the weekend nights. Weekend breakfast and lunch was at Granny's house!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

jetcycles,

IF there is a problem with "my cooking" is that much of it is DEPRESSION FOOD, as both my aunt & my governess were young women in the 1930s & "my cradle food" IS Depression Foods.
    (My first wife, who was a school-trained nutritionist used to chide me by saying, "It's 1975, rather than 1935. We can afford better ingredients than what you always cook with AND you do NOT have to add pasta to everything 'to stretch' every meal, as we don't have 10 kids to fill up.")

ALSO,

ONE of the "inside jokes" about us North-East Texas folk is that, "IF you stick a knife into a NETX fellow, nothing but pea & bean juice & pot-likker will run from the wound."
    (FWIW, we DO eat a lot of peas & beans, with cornbread & MOST of our "local foods"/recipes are from rural AL, GA & MS, as that's where most of "the old families" came to Texas from, in the 19th Century,)

yours, satx

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    jetcycles,

IF there is a problem with "my cooking" is that much of it is DEPRESSION FOOD, as both my aunt & my governess were young women in the 1930s & "my cradle food" IS Depression Foods.
    (My first wife, who was a school-trained nutritionist used to chide me by saying, "It's 1975, rather than 1935. We can afford better ingredients than what you always cook with AND you do NOT have to add pasta to everything 'to stretch' every meal, as we don't have 10 kids to fill up.")

ALSO,

ONE of the "inside jokes" about us North-East Texas folk is that, "IF you stick a knife into a NETX fellow, nothing but pea & bean juice & pot-likker will run from the wound."
    (FWIW, we DO eat a lot of peas & beans, with cornbread & MOST of our "local foods"/recipes are from rural AL, GA & MS, as that's where most of "the old families" came to Texas from, in the 19th Century,)

yours, satx
    All of my inlaws are from east texas, and I too grew up on whatever was available at times, even though it wasn't depression era. People often associate "soul food" with african americans, but to me its just what we had at the time, and I wasn't born until 1980. I dont think there's a week that goes by where I dont have a pot of beans or soup that I make from whatever needs to be used. Depression food feels like home to me, and although I am now a man of many means, my cooking is most often very humble. My great grandmother's cast iron skillet is my most valuable possession, I keep her memory and some of her dishes alive so that my kids know where they come from.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    All of my inlaws are from east texas, and I too grew up on whatever was available at times, even though it wasn't depression era. People often associate "soul food" with african americans, but to me its just what we had at the time, and I wasn't born until 1980. I dont think there's a week that goes by where I dont have a pot of beans or soup that I make from whatever needs to be used. Depression food feels like home to me, and although I am now a man of many means, my cooking is most often very humble. My great grandmother's cast iron skillet is my most valuable possession, I keep her memory and some of her dishes alive so that my kids know where they come from.

jetcycles,

Speaking of cast iron, ONE of my family TREASURES is a 3-legged CAST IRON SPIDER w/ridged lid that came to Texas from HOLLY SPRINGS, MS by oxcart. It holds about 4.5 gallons. = It was a wedding present, circa 1830, to my G-G-G-G-G-Aunt Lavinia Fey Williams-Red Fern.
    (NO amount of money would buy it.)

yours, satx

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Steak salad with avocado. Used kale for the salad out of my garden because it shot up way faster than my lettuce.

damn peacocks are eating all my radishes, spinach, and a Lot of my spinach. I need to put up chicken wire so they can’t get them.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    California transplants will appreciate this...Baja style beer battered fish tacos

ad1dce5c0d6a1832c207d63e79ac6b57.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Scrambled eggs, cooked in bacon grease, spicy sausage patties, hash browns cooked with onions and bell peppers and biscuits, with some country style gravy on the side.

It's going to get a might sporty around here later with the egg farts! Check the wind direction.

Top Bottom