Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Would you mind sharing your SOS recipe?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

prisondoc,

WITH PLEASURE.

Let me FIRST tell you that the circa 1913-1914 recipe that I found in one of the historical displays at FT DRUM, NY in 1987 is NOT the original Army recipe from the 1870-80 era.

The original recipe can only be GUESSED AT, as the original is "lost to memory" BUT the idea of SOS was created as a means to feed a crowd of hungry BUFFALO SOLDIERS breakfast "on the cheap" & from easily sourced local ingredients.
    (It is generally believed that the dish has always been some sort of ground or chopped meat, cooked in a white flour/milk meat gravy & served over bread, toast, biscuits, rice or whatever other "base" was available. = The MESS SGT of the 9th CAV REENACTORS stated to me in 2017 that he has seen period information that SOS was in the "old days on the Texas frontier" made from beef, pork, a mixture of beef & pork, venison and/or horsemeat & sometimes served over white bread, biscuits or corn bread.)

By circa 1910, it was COMMON to ask soldiers if they wanted their SOS "topped" or not. = "Topped" meaning: With or W/O eggs cooked fried/scrambled/poached/etc. & served on top of the SOS.

By about 1913-14 the 10th Infantry Division was using the following recipe for SOS & at least in that one Division, the recipe was "more or less" fixed.
    (The Tenth was NOT yet designated as a "Mountain" Division in the pre-WWI era.)

The 10th Division recipe, suitably reduced from enough SOS to serve an infantry COMPANY follows.

Break up & brown a fist-sized lump of hamburger meat, pork bulk sausage or a mixture of sausage & beef in a heavy skillet.
    Add & MELT 2 tablespoons of butter into the skillet.
    After the butter is melted/stirred in, add 2 tablespoons of WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE & stir well.

Then add 2-3 tablespoons of general purpose flour to the skillet & MIX WELL.
    Once the flour is well-mixed in, add milk to the skillet & STIR BRISKLY to avoid sticking/scorching.
    SIMMER until the mixture is as thick as you desire.

Serve over bread, biscuits, toast, rice or pasta., with or W/O topping with eggs.

This is enough to serve TWO HUNGRY GIs. ENJOY.

yours, satx
    USAMPR, Retired
    Guns International

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I like to make red Thai curry with chicken and have it over rice, polished off the last batch on Monday

AZ Refugee,

MY favorite Thai curry is GREEN CURRY, cooked "Thai HOT & SPICY", with chicken, beef and/or pork.

NOTE: Tonight's supper will be "left over" Chinese Yellow Curry, served over freshly-made steamed rice.

yours, satx

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Read somewhere or watched on TV the SOS or chipped beef was originally made with a dried beef that was rock hard and had to be chipped off and was simmered in gravy to rehydrate it. Of course modern versions are ground beef or sausage.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Read somewhere or watched on TV the SOX or chipped beef was originally made with a dried beef that was rock hard and had to be chipped off and was simmered in gravy to rehydrate it. Of course modern versions are ground beef or sausage.

AZ Refugee,

As far as I can find out in a search of the US Forces military records, ONLY the Army routinely used FRESH meat to make SOS, as our people were land-based & fresh meat could be bought most everywhere on landside.

Otoh, the USN & the USMC were often afloat OR in a landside locale where fresh meat was unavailable or very expensive. - Of course until well after WWI, most USN ships had NO or very limited refrigeration & thus the Navy & Marine Master Menu has always used DRIED/CHIPPED beef almost exclusively for "Chipped Beef on Toast".

yours, satx

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Bone on pork chops that’ll get finished with a peach amaretto jam.
    093da9cec6a91004e409443766b00c2b.jpg

f7d9ddc83e20842544b425f7cfa3c37e.jpg

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Read somewhere or watched on TV the SOS or chipped beef was originally made with a dried beef that was rock hard and had to be chipped off and was simmered in gravy to rehydrate it. Of course modern versions are ground beef or sausage.
    My mother recalls her father always making it with "dried beef" that came in a jar. Im going to try to duplicate what I recall as a small boy, and it sounds pretty close to the recipe posted above. We never had it topped with a fried egg, but that sounds like a protein boost that I'll take any day!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Camaroecko

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    The Colony
    My girlfriend just got an air fryer and instapot from her mom so she's making her first batch of chicken nuggets and I'm doing my moms recipe for chicken tortilla soup for the next few hours. But now that I saw that SOS recipe I might try to get some flour and sausage for tomorrow. My grandpa would always make me and my brother some when we stayed over as kids.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My girlfriend just got an air fryer and instapot from her mom so she's making her first batch of chicken nuggets and I'm doing my moms recipe for chicken tortilla soup for the next few hours. But now that I saw that SOS recipe I might try to get some flour and sausage for tomorrow. My grandpa would always make me and my brother some when we stayed over as kids.

Welcome to the Forum!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    After an hour on a low simmer with garlic, olive oil, bay leaves and beefy onion soup mix (i was out of onions) it was ready.

7c2a39044051ba28f5f367dafc769d8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I showed these photos to my wife. Lol the reaction is classic. I didn’t care for it when we had it in Gabon & west Africa but the Ceviches I had in Peru included the small purple ones and it was a Sunday staple on the job site. I actually looked forward to eating with the corn nut crunchy things they serve with it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    How many days have you been eating chili? You must have made a big batch. I bet it’s good

I make mine in a 20 quart pot. It was a little over three quarters full when finished. I gave some to my father, my brother and his wife, some friends, and then the wife and I are eating it too. I'm going to eat another bowl today, then the rest is going into the freezer for another day later one.

Years ago, I would make two 20 quart pots full of chili for ourselves at home and all the guys in my shops for an appreciation of doing a great job at work. Plus, to be honest, I do love making chili!

Top Bottom