• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Rifle: AK

It really depends on how the S hits. If I had to hump all my gear, I'd take my SGL-21 and Glock 17. In the truck, I'd also have my Winchester Model 70 (30-06) for long range/large game, 870 12 gauge for CQB and birds, and one of my .22 LRs for small game. My wife would be toting her Glock 17 and carrying one of these, if we had to hike out.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    ^^ Wow read my mind! Those are the 2 exact weapons i would want to buy when i get older, a SGL-21 and a Glock 17. But in the trunk i would have a Mosin Nagant,mossy 500,and a 10/22. (I wish) only thing i need is money and ammo!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Have any of you used Arsenal's SGL-21? I heard thats the most reliable AK(M) on the market right now. Correct me if i'm wrong. The thing is the price. Is there any other AK variant that is as reliable but cheaper?

I've never heard of a truly unreliable AK. The Romanian AKs apparently don't like hollow point ammo, but that's as bad as I've heard. With my home-built Romanian AK, I've literally dropped a magazine and filled the top of it with muddy grass that I couldn't get out and simply loaded it and fired away.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    There is a winchester model 70 30.06 (the old one with the iron sights) and an XD .40 will go with me if I need to leave my home. but if i can't use that I have a sporterized 8mm mouser synthetic stock, 22" barrel, military iron sights would be my second choice. If you know how to use an old military bolt gun they can be a very effective all around rifle.

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've never heard of a truly unreliable AK. The Romanian AKs apparently don't like hollow point ammo, but that's as bad as I've heard. With my home-built Romanian AK, I've literally dropped a magazine and filled the top of it with muddy grass that I couldn't get out and simply loaded it and fired away.

I agree with this also. I shelled out a little more cash for the Arsenal because I could. The finish, slightly better MOA, AK103 likeness, and matched parts made it worth it to me. It handles Silver Bear HP and FMJ great. I haven't had one real issue. I did get the buttstock cleaning kit stuck once, but that was a user error. Doh!

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ^^ Wow read my mind! Those are the 2 exact weapons i would want to buy when i get older, a SGL-21 and a Glock 17. But in the trunk i would have a Mosin Nagant,mossy 500,and a 10/22. (I wish) only thing i need is money and ammo!

IMO, for basic SHTF scenario these are the two top choices. I like the fact that I could also take deer and hogs with the AK. Both guns will take a beating and don't need to be properly maintained. A lot of guys would say something like AR15 and Sig 226, and I don't disagree with those choices. It really depends on what you are familiar with and what works for you. It's about preferences. I think you are smart to look at the 10/22 for hunting. .22 ammo is super cheap and light and while I lots of other ammo, there is no way I could carry all of it in my pack. So, for certain scenarios, it might actually be the ultimate choice.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If I could only have one to hunt, and defend myself, I would choose a 12 gauge shotgun. I would expect that post SHTF, hunting would be a bigger priority than engaing in regular firefights.
    Shotgun can kill all manner of flying beasts and small game.

As far as a rifle I would be equally comfortable with an AK or an AR....I believe that the AK may be more practical in the situation you describe.

oh man! is it to late to change my answer?

technically it isn't a rifle, but this would definitely be my choice. not jsut small game and birds, but im pretty damn sure you can kill a charging bull elephant or at least a cape buffalo with a slug or two.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Seein' lots of semi's listed....one thing to consider is that if stuff DID hit the cyclic mover, cleaning/maintenance could become a challenge, and a bolt action is gonna typically be a lot more forgiving that a semi in my experience.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Since were going rifle and pistol, I'd go with this setup:

This...
    next%20one.jpg

and this...
    P220R-SAO-detail-L.jpg

with a threaded .22 conversion/suppressor in the pack...
    detail-conversion-kit-TB.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Since it weighs almost nothing, I'd probably strap my Marlin 60 to my ruck as I was walking out (in addition to the AK and P226). If I had a vehicle, I'd just bring everything. The .22 would feed me and handle anything that didn't catch me by surprise. But if you've got something and can't defend it, you don't have anything... So my focus would be on a firearm that I could use to defend myself. If defense wasn't a factor, a pair of .22s would be my choice.

I agree with the old military bolt action assessment that if you know what you're doing, they're formidable. Give me a Mosin and some ammo on strippers and I can cause some trouble.

oh man! is it to late to change my answer?

technically it isn't a rifle, but this would definitely be my choice. not jsut small game and birds, but im pretty damn sure you can kill a charging bull elephant or at least a cape buffalo with a slug or two.

One of the more famous hunters regularly killed critters like that with 7mm Mauser. He even killed an elephant once with a .22, definitely not something I'd recommend trying.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, but that guy knew the anatomy exceptionally well, and knew how to get his bullets into brains.

In a SHTF situation, I'm sticking with a couple .22 rifles with about a million rounds of ammo.

Top Bottom