• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    almost tax time so I'm starting to look around at 7.62 cans. I'm looking at the AAC 7.62 SD since I already have a 51T brake.

Will be used on a Savage model 10PC, 18" barrel for precision(ish) shooting and maybe hunting. Once I have the suppressor I'm sure I will start looking at a 300BO build though.

Looking at a budget of ~$800 excluding the stamp.

Other recommendations, reasons to go with something else?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The 51t system is terribly archaic. For 880 you can get the new omega that can do it all. That would be my first 30cal can if I was buying today.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I'd avoid 51t mount if possible. I've been lucky with mine, but I've read way too many horror stories for me to recommend that mount system in good conscience. I have the Thunderbeast 30P1 and Surefire 762 SOCOM, in addition to my AAC 762sdn6. I agree with 1slow, the omega has most of my attention in that market. Not a lot of reviews, but I'd be watching that hard.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've heard of some people having issues, and I've read that it is due to the way some attach and remove it. Mostly ratcheting it on IIRC.

It is something I've considered though.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Direct thread sucks for auto loaders. The silencerco ASR mount is very solid. Ive got a 7.62 specwar with it, if nothing else grabs my attention I'll buy a 5.56 K specwar and an omega. I like it better than the trifecta mount to be honest as long as you dont have the can recessed under a rail.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Direct thread sucks for auto loaders. The silencerco ASR mount is very solid. Ive got a 7.62 specwar with it, if nothing else grabs my attention I'll buy a 5.56 K specwar and an omega. I like it better than the trifecta mount to be honest as long as you dont have the can recessed under a rail.

Looking at the Specwar 7.62.

It shows a muzzle brake and trifecta flash hider mount option but they seem interchangeable for mounting.

I guess I'm not understanding the ASR being better than the trifecta. Looks like the ASR part is in the can and trifecta is just what they call the flash hider it mounts to.

Where did I go off course?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most won't "rachet" the last click without some minor gun smithing... Without it, the can rocks even when locked on the mount. It's been known to create horrible POI shift.

That doesn't sound good. Does the 90T mount work any better?

Not that it matters much. I was mostly looking at 51T mounts because I had picked one up while looking for a brake. It actually works well in that area, lol.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Like I said YMMV, I've had good luck with mine. I have a little bit of rock, but no noticeable POI shift (at least at reasonable distances). I believe the 90T mount was designed to resolve that problem, but I have no first hand experience.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No biggie.

Might be selling a 51T brake in 5-6 months if you need an extra :roflsmile:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Granted I have no experience with cans other than shooting other's cans, but I've always heard if you want little POI shift and especially if it's on a bolt gun, direct thread is the way to go. Heck even once I get my can for my 300 blackout AR (soon to be ARs once I finish my 10.5" pistol), which is also what I'm looking at doing with my money coming back from uncle sam, I'm probably going direct thread. Honestly I've heard from alot of people anyway that unless you are switching platforms with your can constantly, the time it a QD mount saves you isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things. Of course take what I say with a grain of salt though since I am a silencer newb. FWIW I've actually been looking at getting Scorpion 556 | Lane Silencers and Guns awesome price for a user serviceable can. Figure this way I can, with thread adapters, even use it on my 10/22 without much issues (as long as I always clean it before throwing it back on another platform). And also I could run traditional lube cast bullets with the 300 if for some reason I can't do my powder coating and not have issues that couldn't be resolved with a wire brush.

One other bit of advice I've seen thrown around alot. If you can afford it, the single most important thing to consider with a can (especially if it's going to be used on more than bench queens) is get a Ti can. I'm a cheap bastard though so I'm going to tough out using a SS can more than likely (still not fully decided on that as the Ti version of the can I linked is priced competitively with some SS cans).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm not terribly worried about POI shift as long as it's repeatable and doesn't effect precision. Less would be nice but once I sight with the can on it will probably be in use any time I'm shooting. And I already have zero data to compensate for a couple of different ammo choices. Just add one for shooting with out the can an click over if needed.

POI shit from shot to shot would be a no-go.

Top Bottom