Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Silencershop has a vid.

Really liking the phantom price/weight/advertised sound reduction.

Watching a SS vid on the mount now. Looks like it might have my heart unless I hear something bad.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Now I'm really thinking about the YHM ULT.

13oz and 39db reduction sounds real nice.

Just over 1K including the stamp.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Why does it suck?

Starting to lean away from any quick detach.

Not enough teeth to get you one click tighter. I have had to send my AAC back to get the ratchet replaced. Granted it did not cost anything to get it replaced. My advice is to hold the lever pushed in until you get the can close to bottom out. I would think the steel would be of a higher grade. The problem with mine IMO was playing with it too much. Swapping host way more times than shot. I have too much into the 51 tooth to change but the YHM I have on SMG that is direct thread has not given me one bit of problem and has had many thousands of rounds fired. Just saying. Good luck on your choice.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Luckily my only investment in to AAC is the brake, and it's not really an investment in to NFA because I was only looking for a brake at the time and it has served that purpose well.

The YHM mounts look pretty reasonable so buying a couple wouldn't be bad.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Looking at the Specwar 7.62.

It shows a muzzle brake and trifecta flash hider mount option but they seem interchangeable for mounting.

I guess I'm not understanding the ASR being better than the trifecta. Looks like the ASR part is in the can and trifecta is just what they call the flash hider it mounts to.

Where did I go off course?
    The trifecta system is from the saker, Ive never understood why they carried that name over to the specwar which uses ASR mounts. Regardless, the ASR is the one with the locking ring like on the specwar, the trifecta does not have a locking ring and is found on the saker.
    Granted I have no experience with cans other than shooting other's cans, but I've always heard if you want little POI shift and especially if it's on a bolt gun, direct thread is the way to go. Heck even once I get my can for my 300 blackout AR (soon to be ARs once I finish my 10.5" pistol), which is also what I'm looking at doing with my money coming back from uncle sam, I'm probably going direct thread. Honestly I've heard from alot of people anyway that unless you are switching platforms with your can constantly, the time it a QD mount saves you isn't really all that much in the grand scheme of things. Of course take what I say with a grain of salt though since I am a silencer newb. FWIW I've actually been looking at getting Scorpion 556 | Lane Silencers and Guns awesome price for a user serviceable can. Figure this way I can, with thread adapters, even use it on my 10/22 without much issues (as long as I always clean it before throwing it back on another platform). And also I could run traditional lube cast bullets with the 300 if for some reason I can't do my powder coating and not have issues that couldn't be resolved with a wire brush.

One other bit of advice I've seen thrown around alot. If you can afford it, the single most important thing to consider with a can (especially if it's going to be used on more than bench queens) is get a Ti can. I'm a cheap bastard though so I'm going to tough out using a SS can more than likely (still not fully decided on that as the Ti version of the can I linked is priced competitively with some SS cans).
    That almost all is bad/outdated information. I don't blame you as that's what you've read but that's the problem with parroting information read on the internet.

Almost all of the bad rap QD mounts got was from the terrible AAC 18T mounts that was somewhat fixed with the 51T mounts. A quality QD mount will hang right there with a direct thread. My griffin taper mounts and the ASR mount on my specwar are both very repeatable and POI shift has more to do with the barrel length/profile and the weight of the can than the mount when using a quality mount.

The benefit of a QD mount is it adapts the can to multiple thread patterns and will also keep the can from backing off on an autoloader. You mention running the can on your 300 but linked to a 556 can, was that a mistake? Id highly recommend getting a lighter can. Unless youre bench shooting all the time that extra weight gets old. Hang some weights off the end of your gun to compare a 24oz can to a 14oz can. While on paper it doesn't sound like much, when shooting offhand it sucks.
    Opinions on the YHM Phantom LT or LTA?
    Yeah, stay the hell away from YHM crap. I own a 7.62 ti qd phantom. It was an alright can 3 years ago when I bought it but there are far better cans out there now. 3 of the 6 mounts I have don't seat snuggly and therefor cause POI shifts but unlike the 51T theres not a whole lot you can do to fix them. Ive since given the can to my dad for his 16" 300blk along with one of the good mounts and hes happier than a pig in shit but he only hunts with his so minute of pig head is plenty accurate for him.
    I read the same, seems it's more of an issue on short barrel rifles.

Might have been silencershop, but maybe somewhere else I was reading that AAC recommends the brake for barrels under 16" and the flash hider mount for longer due to the reasons you mentioned. And something about less "ping" with one or the other.
    Yes a brake acts as a sacrificial baffle and protects the can. It is true that its really only an issue in shorter barrels where powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the muzzle and essentially acts like a blow torch on the blast baffle of the can. On a 300blk the powder burns so quick I don't think it matters. Ive been running a flashider on my 8" 300blk for a year now and 1500+ rounds with no wear at all on the blast baffle of my specwar.
    Speaking as someone that is TOTALLY CLUELESS about cans........with a direct thread could you (or better yet, should you) use some type of temporary thread locker??? OK.........flame away, HAAAAAA!!!!:green:
    You can but the heat breaks it loose. Its not an uncommon trick to use something like liquid teflon on the threads but it will melt away, plus it makes a mess. A quality QD can is a better solution in my opinion.
    The AAC Blackout Tri Spoke Mount *pings* when shot. To some people its barely noticeable. To others, they cry its like a churchbell. Either way, when your job is to silence my weapon, your mount (of all things) should not be giving off any kind of sound signature.
    Some are louder than others. Ive heard some that were truly terrible and others that there wasn't any real perceivable ring to it. I think its largely blown out of proportion by people but why choose a can with so many mount shortcomings when you've got such better options these days? 3 years ago when I bought my phantom you had 3 choices for QD. Expensive surefire because back then there was almost no discount on them, silencershop wanted 1600 for the 7.62 I was eyeballing PLUS $150 muzzle devices, the 51t 762 SDN6 that even then had reports of mount wobble, or the yhm that was known to be a bit louder but a better mount. In hindsight I disagree on the better mount thing and would've saved longer for the surefire but it is what it is now.

The Omega is going to be the game changing can I believe. Its specs are too good and a price that's too close to the competitors less versatile options. For 880 you get a direct thread can that also comes with a quality QD module and muzzle device of your choice. I will be getting one for my 8" 300blk to drop the 28oz of specwar/flashider that currently rides it for the 12oz of Omega awesomeness. The only other can Id consider right now is the griffin armament recce 7. The mounts are great, theyre nicely priced and its workhorse that's the right size/weight to be used on anything. Its a pretty good jack of all trades can and Ive beat the tar out of mine. Its ridden on full auto SBRs, had 100s of rounds put through it in a matter of an hours time(buddy's bachelor party and everyone gang banged my 11.5" 5.56) and Ive got over 4K through it now and theres no sign of baffle wear at all. The outside is pretty rough from being drug through the woods all season and shooting a couple of matches with it but Ive been very happy with it.

The best advice I can give you is don't let a 100 bucks or even 200 bucks sway your decision. Youre making a lifetime investment, get exactly what you want regardless of price because youre stuck with it.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    The trifecta system is from the saker, Ive never understood why they carried that name over to the specwar which uses ASR mounts. Regardless, the ASR is the one with the locking ring like on the specwar, the trifecta does not have a locking ring and is found on the saker.

That almost all is bad/outdated information. I don't blame you as that's what you've read but that's the problem with parroting information read on the internet.

Almost all of the bad rap QD mounts got was from the terrible AAC 18T mounts that was somewhat fixed with the 51T mounts. A quality QD mount will hang right there with a direct thread. My griffin taper mounts and the ASR mount on my specwar are both very repeatable and POI shift has more to do with the barrel length/profile and the weight of the can than the mount when using a quality mount.

The benefit of a QD mount is it adapts the can to multiple thread patterns and will also keep the can from backing off on an autoloader. You mention running the can on your 300 but linked to a 556 can, was that a mistake? Id highly recommend getting a lighter can. Unless youre bench shooting all the time that extra weight gets old. Hang some weights off the end of your gun to compare a 24oz can to a 14oz can. While on paper it doesn't sound like much, when shooting offhand it sucks.

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

As to the link, it's just the page title that is wrong for some reason. It links to their short 30 cal can.

As to the weight issue, I definitely got a good taste of it today with my 16" and a Ti can still feeling heavy. Granted my main purpose for a can is quiet hunting with a night vision setup that allows me to shoot from my lap or daytime from a blind that I can use as a rest. Yet another reason I can live with direct thread as I won't be doing much of any rapid fire and will have time to ensure my can is on tight after shots. I won't be doing run and gun comps where that weight would start to wear me down or anything of that nature. Only time I shoot my 300 at the range, it's sitting in a rest trying for tight groups (and once I get all my reloading stuff set back up testing loads). I've got my 556 setup for mag dumps and that kinda fun stuff.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, stay the hell away from YHM crap. I own a 7.62 ti qd phantom. It was an alright can 3 years ago when I bought it but there are far better cans out there now. 3 of the 6 mounts I have don't seat snuggly and therefor cause POI shifts but unlike the 51T theres not a whole lot you can do to fix them. Ive since given the can to my dad for his 16" 300blk along with one of the good mounts and hes happier than a pig in shit but he only hunts with his so minute of pig head is plenty accurate for him.

Was the issue cause by the can, or would replacing the flash hider/mount fix it?

The best advice I can give you is don't let a 100 bucks or even 200 bucks sway your decision. Youre making a lifetime investment, get exactly what you want regardless of price because youre stuck with it.

Not really skimping on what I want to save money at this point. Just trying to find out as much as I can and filter the information. Can be about like asking which AR to buy. Everyone has an opinion and many conflict.

Once I figure out the pros and cons to the different options, I can decide what I'm willing to sacrifice in one area for the benefits in another.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Looking at the Specwar 7.62.

It shows a muzzle brake and trifecta flash hider mount option but they seem interchangeable for mounting.

I guess I'm not understanding the ASR being better than the trifecta. Looks like the ASR part is in the can and trifecta is just what they call the flash hider it mounts to.

Where did I go off course?

Was the issue cause by the can, or would replacing the flash hider/mount fix it?

Not really skimping on what I want to save money at this point. Just trying to find out as much as I can and filter the information. Can be about like asking which AR to buy. Everyone has an opinion and many conflict.

Once I figure out the pros and cons to the different options, I can decide what I'm willing to sacrifice in one area for the benefits in another.

Combination. The retention ring on the mount can twist slightly and theres not enough teeth on the back of the can. Between those two things it adds up to a can thay doesnt always seat nice and tight just like the 51T mounts. You vould relieve the shoulder on the mount for it to seat better but it'd require tear the whole mount down and just more of a pain in the ass than its worth when you can buy a can with s better mount and features for the same money or a little more. The baffle stack in yhm is outdated as well. It was a good can 3 years ago but theres much better out there now.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    No it doesnt since you have to twist the lock ring. I run it under my MCSR but that can lives on my 300blk so its not taken off often. If you want to put it under a handguard then I'd recommend the recce 7 or saker.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Th hand guard may not be a big deal. Or maybe I'll just have to have 2 7.62 cans :)

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    I have the sdn6 if I were to buy one now
    The silencerco omega or saker

The silencer co miad will work with the 51t mount or sell the mount for 50 bucks used and put that towards whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I like my AAC Mk13-SD. Its rated and was designed for 300 Win Mag but I use it one 308.

aics-a.jpg

aics-b.jpg

aics-c.jpg

aics-d.jpg
    aics-e.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Eyeballing that Omega now. But damn that Specwar is quiet...and kinda heavy. But really quiet.

Top Bottom