• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The biggest thing you have to worry about with direct thread cans on gas guns is the can coming lose. Its a weird paranoia always wanting to test how far down the can is seated after every shot (or at least let it hang in your mind). Thats the true biggest advantage of brake attached cans, the positive lockup you get.
    Texas SOT

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    And there's a healthy amount of literature on the web suggesting the brake serves as an extra baffle and preserves the life of your can... I'm just parroting what I've read.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The biggest thing you have to worry about with direct thread cans on gas guns is the can coming lose. Its a weird paranoia always wanting to test how far down the can is seated after every shot (or at least let it hang in your mind). Thats the true biggest advantage of brake attached cans, the positive lockup you get.

I guess that's why the Omega is an either/or can.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And there's a healthy amount of literature on the web suggesting the brake serves as an extra baffle and preserves the life of your can... I'm just parroting what I've read.

I read the same, seems it's more of an issue on short barrel rifles.

Might have been silencershop, but maybe somewhere else I was reading that AAC recommends the brake for barrels under 16" and the flash hider mount for longer due to the reasons you mentioned. And something about less "ping" with one or the other.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Speaking as someone that is TOTALLY CLUELESS about cans........with a direct thread could you (or better yet, should you) use some type of temporary thread locker??? OK.........flame away, HAAAAAA!!!!:green:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I need to hit the lottery the lottery so I can buy one of each and put the ones I don't like in a box in the back of the closet.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The AAC Blackout Tri Spoke Mount *pings* when shot. To some people its barely noticeable. To others, they cry its like a churchbell. Either way, when your job is to silence my weapon, your mount (of all things) should not be giving off any kind of sound signature.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I need to hit the lottery the lottery so I can buy one of each and put the ones I don't like in a box in the back of the closet.

Or create a trust with me in it :D :D :D If STFU Tactical becomes popular enough and you get revenue off it you owe me anyway for starting the thread that one came frome :D :D :D :D :D

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Capital armory had 9mm AR barrels for $175. Just noticed while rummaging, cause I'm not dumping enough money in to this hobby yet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't even stop derailing my own thread.

Does that mean I have a problem?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Better mention the YHM Phantom LTA again. Anybody got one? How's the mount?

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Capital armory had 9mm AR barrels for $175. Just noticed while rummaging, cause I'm not dumping enough money in to this hobby yet.

What, that wasn't obviously after building the single shot 50 cal?

As to the YHM, the phantom series seems very popular especially since the pricepoint is quite nice. Don't know much about the mount though.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Speaking as someone that is TOTALLY CLUELESS about cans........with a direct thread could you (or better yet, should you) use some type of temporary thread locker??? OK.........flame away, HAAAAAA!!!!:green:
    With the heat, not really unless you used rockset, and that stuff can be pretty stout if you use too much.

Top Bottom