• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Cloud

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn and most exotics: .25-06. The .270 Winchester is an exceptionally good caliber for all of the above and then some. I used and still use on occasion a .270 Weatherby Magnum for years and it was hard to beat but now I have moved that gun to second place.
    Guns International

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    It depends on where I am hunting. In thick brush, I like the .30-30, .35 Remington, or even the .45-70. For more open country, I like the .257 Roberts, .270 WCF, .30-06, or .308. Also, don't sell the old .300 Savage short.

I see guys go into McBride's and buy .300 Winchester Magnums for Hill Country brush hunting where the won't even see a deer if it is over 60 yards away because of the undergrowth, and I have to laugh.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have shot deer with .223 and .308. I handload and use 55. grn amax for .223 and 125 - 165 grn nosler with the .308

I usually take a neck shot with the .223. My friend used my rifle and put down a 180 lb 8lb buck in south texas last year with the 55grn vmax. Entry hole was the size a pencil and no exit wound. He shoot the deer right above the heart. When we get inside of it the heart, lungs, and other vitals were liquified. The deer dropped where it stood.

I have tracked a deer another friend of mine shot with a 300 win mag winchester silver ballistic tip 600 yards two weeks ago. He hit the deer low and more in the chest.

I think the moral of the story here is use a good hunting round, DOUBLE check your zero! Walk off the distance from your blind to your feeder and if you are way up high think about the angle you are shooting at, but just make a good shot.

I am not an experienced deer hunter by any means. I have just seen alot of deer taken over the past few seasons and Ive just noticed that big or small rifles, hits or misses, it has come down to shooters that know their equipment, know their range, and can make good hits.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't laugh at them right away it's when they say "I'm going up north with this rifle" then when asked where up north is they say something like Lampasas or something that I tell them they're still in the hill country and that aint north. They tend to argue and when you ask where they're from they say something like Oklahoma or Arkan sas or one of those other lesser states. (J/K Arkansas aint so bad)

wallhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    West Texas
    I have always been a fan of the .270. I also have a .270WSM that I am quite fond of. Last year a bought a 25-06 in a browning xbolt. Let me tell you, after using it for all of my hunting this season I'm sold on it for Texas deer. I'll still use my .270's, but I really do like the 25-06!

Oldarmy12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Austin
    I shoot a 257 Roberts..... The bottem line is it doesn't matter what you shoot it's all about where you put the bullet. I don't care if you shoot a 300 win at hill country deer if your scared to pull the trigger cuz of the kick and you gut shoot them every time then that's not the right cal for you. 204 ruger to the neck works alot better than a 30-06 to the butt!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I shoot a 257 Roberts..... The bottem line is it doesn't matter what you shoot it's all about where you put the bullet. I don't care if you shoot a 300 win at hill country deer if your scared to pull the trigger cuz of the kick and you gut shoot them every time then that's not the right cal for you. 204 ruger to the neck works alot better than a 30-06 to the butt!

LOL I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. And so true!

Top Bottom