• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    The great thing about this topic is you never get a wrong answer and you get to keep searching for a better one, which means more rifles!!! My 25-06 has taken more deer than all of my other rifles combined. But I have been carrying my 7mm Weatherby Mag a lot lately in the stand. If I have to do a lot of walking I will take my 7mm Ultra Mag. When I go back home to hunt deer in Oklahoma where there is mostly open country, shooting across wheat fields, etc. and weight is not a factor, I take my custom bull barrel 7mm STW. If you havent figured out by now I am a big fan of the 7mm mags. With good bullets they dont mess up meat at short distance and if that 3-400 yard shot presents itself you have the power to get it done.
    Capitol Armory ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You are right about the # of answers you can get. And a deer can be killed with a 22 but that is illegal and a NO-NO! But Why the 7 mag? I mean the 25-06 can do almost any thing the 7 mag can do out to 4-500? So will the 30-06 or the 308 I'm just wondering is there that big a difference?

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    You are correct, the 25-06 will do it out that far and do it well(I have taken deer and antelope out to 400 with it) But, here is the deal. The twist rate in most 25-06 barrels shoot the 100 gr bullet a lot more accurately than they do the 117's or 120's and there just hasnt been a good solid bullet in the 100 gr range available for handloaders, most are varmint bullets(I personally load a 100 gr ballistic tip in mine) and it has been a great combo for whitetails and antelope as long as you place your shots well as the bullet is not designed to crush bone. So, I moved up to the 7mm's for 2 reasons. The first being the fact that you have so many good solid bullets to choose from. I load Nosler Accubonds in all of my 7's. They fly like a ballistic tip but are built like a partition and will go through anything and have AWESOME performance on animals. Secondly, the big 7's with a 140 grain bullet buck the wind a lot better and have a better trajectory and energy than a 100 gr 25 cal bullet. None of this will mean a hill of beans shooting south Texas deer at 100-200 yards. But, when you are shooting deer that can dress well over 200lbs at 400 yards across a wheat field in a 20 mph crosswind, you will be glad you have the 7.

robhillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    South Plains of Texas
    That really depends.
    Everyday in the truck Remmy 700 in .223
    West Texas hunting, mostly 25-06
    If I get real serious I Have a ruger m77 alaskan in 280 and another in 30-06
    If its on the North American continent, I'm pretty well covered

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    This one has potential. Marlin .308 Express. Shoots exceptionally well with Hornady LeverEvolution and is easy for a lefty like me to manipulate.
    Bob
    FORUMPICS016.gif

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I installed Choate Tacticle stock on my Stevens 200 .308 yesterday and it is sweet. Dropped right in. Got a SSS nine shot detachable mag for it out there somewhere. Waiting for it.
    This rifle shot well with the tupperware, but this stock is a very snug fit, it will do even better.
    The .308 is easy to reload, less recoil than the 30-06, and will take down everything in North America.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    For those of you who are saying 223, what kind of ammunition are you using? I am new to hunting, so what is legal to hunt with in Texas? Thanks!

Top Bottom