• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So, I figure FMJ would not be a good choice. JHP and say soft points are the way to go?
    Right you want a bullet that will expand and create a large wound cavity mutch the same things that you look for in a good hollow point for a defensive handgun round. I personally use a 30-06 w/ 150 Winchester power points when hunting with a rifle. the power points don't expand on contact like HP's do the are more a "controlled expansion" round. My other deer round has a shaft about 29-30" long and three razor blades on a 100 gr head. A 223 is fine I'd just suggest you get some power points or Remington core locks.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    My favorite deer round is the .243 Win, especially with the size of the deer around here, you can take them with a sling shot.

But I have taken deer with a .17 Rem all the way up to a .45-70. I only used the .17 with shots right through the ears, top of head, no exceptions, and all of those shots were within 50 yards, and most less than that.

But I use my .308 Win most of the time now, because its one of my more comfortable rifles, and I have worked up more loads for it than any other one. I have two deer loads, a 165 gr Sierra HPBT GameKing loaded over H4895, and Hornady 165 gr SST over Varget. The GameKings and SSTs both shoot to the same POA at 100 yards, but the SSTs have a flatter trajectory, and are used when I know that the distances are going to possibly be extended, over 300 yards.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    No you don't replace the rifle scope with the spotting scope. You use the spotting scope to find the target and get a rang estimation based on the............. maybe I'll just go find a good thick rock while you adjust those scope turrets.

Dont give me the !!! I meant to have one on both sides of my nose, wouldnt that be a sight? Oh, forget it.....:banghead:

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I use a set of Pentax 18X binocs. Damned near the same thing. I have a great spotting scope, but take my binos to the range and guiding deer hunts, as well as dear hunts. LOL

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I need to get a pair of new binos, the ones I have are an old pair of Nikon travel lights that are still good but I need a new pair for longer glassing.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have used plenty of calibers on deer. Prolly killed more with a .22 Magnum than all my other guns combined, but that was many years ago in the dark of my youth (Get it?). Currently I use a Marlin guide Gun in .45/70 unless I am hunting on a pipeline or highline, then I use a .308.

ErikE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Katy, Tx
    Have hunted deer, whitetail and mulies, for 45 years with a Winchester model 94 in 30/30 and have never been disatified. Also hunt with a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Can always find ammo for either no matter where I go.

Parker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Buda, TX
    So my question here is, if you had to pick between the two, would you rather have a .308 or 7mm-08 for south/central Texas whitetail?

Top Bottom