• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    I'm thinking about teaching my young cousin about guns,
    I've sadly taken over the father figure role because his father is a POS.
    I grew up playing sports, fighting, etc etc.
    He doesn't like sports or violence but he has a real interest in guns. I've shown him my guns and my uncles, SKS, 12 guage, 45's 9mm etc.
    But he's about to turn 12, and I'm still not sure if he's ready.
    At his age I was already a world champion athlete and was more mature,
    I started shooting at 14 with my friends out in the country.
    sooo does anyone have exp with this?
    maybe with your son or something along those lines?

All feedback is appreciated.
    DK Firearms

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I received my first gun at 12, hav'nt looked back since, still have it too. I learned to shoot and respect guns much younger than that though.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    At birth lol. My kids all had toy guns as a baby. I had bought them chipmunk rifles years before they were born. BB guns at my house were age 6 and shooting 22's with help at that age. By the time they were 12 they each had a collection of guns. When they were 12 they started working summers and week nights at a trap range not far from where we lived and when 15 they beat out the area trap league as trap kids. What's nice when you teach them this early and earlier the better the curiosity is gone. They know what a gun does and know how to handle it safely and I trusted them to use our range out back. When they went shooting with others I had no worry because they took it seriously. I just did what my folks did with me back in the 50's and 60's and passed it on.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I started my kids at 10 (son was closer to 11, but I needed to be comfortable HE was responsible enough.) As long as he (your cousin) has the proper instruction and guidance, I don't see an issue. Start with a .22 rifle to get comfortable and move on from there. My son's favorite gun to shoot is a .357 revolver, then a .380 semi auto and then his .22 rifle. Started small and moved up as he learned and was able to handle more. He is 13 now.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My kids shot their first rounds much younger than that, like 6 or 7. This was totally supervised ofcourse. Honestly none of them have much interest in it (breaks my heart), but I try to let all of my friends kids get some 22 time in whenever possible. I don't want to force it on my kids, so as long as they understang firearm safety, I will wait until they desire it more. Patients is the key.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    My son started shooting at 8 (he's 9 now) and has shown a real respect for firearms. He really loves shooting AR's (I LOVE saying that). Good instruction and setting a good example will go far and you'll do just fine.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I have 3 daughters twins 10 and an 11 year old. I began with them at 9, would've been earlier but they were tentative. They love it now, the most important reasons for myself were 1) Take the curiosity element out of the equation 2) Fearful they may actually need to use one and not be able to one day 3) In-Laws are super liberal :) Remember safety 1st. In my experience repetition is key, kids are still kids even the ones mature enough to be in that situation. fyi I started at 7 (waited a couple years 'cause they're girls lol)

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I was gonna ask if he's weaned yet but I see he's 12. That's plenty old enough IMO. I learned to shoot at about 5 or 6 and it's been full speed ever since. I received by first .22 rifle at about 9 or 10 and my first single barrel 20 ga at 13 if I remember. In high school I'd ride the bus home, run inside, and grab my shotgun and hit the fields around the house. Many evenings I'd bring supper home.

As long as he's interested and you have a firearm that's age appropriate (read: not too powerful or big) he should do fine. I had to learn and recite the 10 commandments of firearms safety back to my father before I got my first gun and he always drilled safety into my head.

I taught my own son to handle guns as soon as I thought he could safely use a gun, and that was about age 8. Got him a .22 Chipmunk shortly thereafter. Now he is 34 and a very safe user. I agree that introducing guns at an early age de-mystifies guns, and shows the young person just what a gun is capable of doing to an animal or a person.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    On a side note, a 22 with iron sights is the perfect beginners gun. Save the bigger calibers and scopes for later. Teach the essentials first.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Thank you all for your input.
    Seriously,
    I'm new to this how to teach values and things.
    Read this post and for his 12th birthday I'm going to buy him a .22 pistol. (I'll hold on to it, I don't trust his father to not sell it)
    That's the biggest thing tho, is to take the curiosity out of it, and to learn to respect it. Because only things he knows about guns is what he's seen in moves. SMH.
    He lives in a bad home in a worse neighborhood, so I want him to know about guns before homeboy down the street shows him.
    Thank you all again,

PS, Plus this gives me reason to buy more guns down the road ha,

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd personally go for a rifle. It is easier to teach him on. My kids have a hard time holding a pistol up, and a rifle on a rest is pretty easy to control and hit with. If he has to fight to keep the gun up and has a hard time hitting the target, he will get discouraged. Also look at reactive targets, like cans, spent shotgun shells, or something like that (avoid golf balls, they can riccochet). These will be funner than just shooting paper.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Any type of .22 rifle in particular?
    First gun I shot was a Remington 12 gauge and a glock 9mm.

and the targets, I'm going to buy some exploding ones.
    What kid doesn't wanna blow Sh*t up? ha,

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    A bolt action is good to learn with because it takes longer to rack another one. Semi auto, they can get carried away and just start pulling the trigger over and over without taking the time to aim, and it is locked and loaded as soon as they pull the trigger and another round is chambered. Problem with that is no matter how much you tell them, they can forget some of the basic rules.

For targets, I would suggest dirty birds or some other type of color changing targets. That way they get instant feedback and can see what they hit. I always sit next to the kids with another clean target, so if they can't see, I can point out where they hit.

When I got the kids their guns, they had to read the manuals and explain all the features and and operation of the weapon before hitting the range. They also needed to know all the basic rules of firearms safety.

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    I started my oldest when he was 5 with a Ruger Mark II.He got a good grip, I supported his arms to counter the weight and let him shoot. Printed targets with playing cards on them, tic-tac-toe, and for the finally, bowling pins.

I'll never forget that squeal of joy when he hit the pin with his FIRST round and knocked it off the platform.

My youngest got started around 8, same method, same general results.

Bottom line, the wife and I are Marines, and our kids are well armed w/ ability and the tools to get the job done.

Top Bottom