• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The oldest son, Fuelfather on this board, killed his first deer at the age of 7. All the kids were encouraged to shoot at very early ages, and at least understood the basics of gun operation and safety. My oldest grandson (Fuelfathers' son) got his first gun at the age of 8 IIRC....I gave him my first gun - a .22 I got at the age of about 12. Since he's a namesake, he got a real kick out of seeing the warranty card was already filled out in his name!<G>

I DO agree about bein' a rifle first - if he screws up, odds are it at least won't be entering his body...
    DK Firearms

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    My kids will be starting young. My oldest just turned 4. He'll sit next to me as I clean the weapons. He recognizes my firearms vs his toys. I wanted to start with the awareness of firearms in the home to try and get rid of the "taboo" and curiosity of the weapon. He has a cool gift coming for Christmas that he'll be sure to enjoy. Before he turns 5, he'll be shooting a rifle. I have a Nylon 66 rifle that'll be their starter rifle after an airgun.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Not to be like everyone else but my plan is to play it by ear with my boys. My oldest is almost 5 so next year im getting him a bb gun. He has been around guns since day one and knows all the rules and knows how dangerous they are. I don't think there is a proper age but rather a proper personality/respect for guns.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    My 6 year old girl is shooting a chipmunk 22 now. My 11 year old boy is shooting a henry 22. Dont think either does it well yet, we havent started really reviewing the targets yet.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Got my first .22 at 5 or 6 a month later I was popping squirrels and prairie dogs right in the head, haven't looked back since.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got my first .22 at 8, first pellet gun at 10, yup, in that order. My daughter is 3 and my boy is 1, plan on getting them started as soon as they are ready, just gonna use my judgement, still got the ithica single shot i learned with waiting in the cabinet.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I'm thinking about teaching my young cousin about guns,
    I've sadly taken over the father figure role because his father is a POS.
    I grew up playing sports, fighting, etc etc.
    He doesn't like sports or violence but he has a real interest in guns. I've shown him my guns and my uncles, SKS, 12 guage, 45's 9mm etc.
    But he's about to turn 12, and I'm still not sure if he's ready.
    At his age I was already a world champion athlete and was more mature,
    I started shooting at 14 with my friends out in the country.
    sooo does anyone have exp with this?
    maybe with your son or something along those lines?

All feedback is appreciated.

My Dad taught my brothers and I to shoot at eight. I think ultimately you need to take each individual's personality into account, because I've seen any number of 7 or 8 year olds handle guns responsibly, yet like many here I've also seen a shocking number of 20+ people who should never be allowed to handle a gun for the rest of their lives. IMO, use your best judgment to determine if any kid or person is mature enough to handle the responsibility of using firearms.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I received my first .22, a Winchester Boys Rifle, when I was 6 years old. We lived in the country and I was allowed to go shoot and hunt by myself.

I did receive proper firearms instructions.

We started all my kids early with firearms instructions and allowed them to shoot as soon as they could reach the trigger. They all learned on my first rifle, which I still have today. All the grandkids are doing likewise.

We feel like it is never too early to teach young ones about firearms, safety and shooting.

Brad

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Too young for kids at the moment, but when I get to that point in my life, I feel that 6-7yrs is adequate. I think that teaching your children about firearm safety and such bestows a level of responsibility to them that may help them succeed in other aspects of their life. At least that's what I think. I wish my dad would've taught me more about guns when I was younger, but he was adamantly against them till just recently. I guess old war memories can do that to you.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    we all learned by age five. the first gun i shot without my dads help was a russian sks i was 5 at the time. around the age of 10 first time i used a 12ga without help. but, it really depends how well they develop, obviously age isnt gonna let you know how well your particular kid is gonna take to it, but its a good measure.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    BTW...+1 on the "depending on the child" comment earlier. Chunky's brother was a serious youngster, and ready to handle guns at an earlier age than he was.

That was then....today, Chunky's an LEO an' often "schools" his peers on guns. He goes ballistic when he sees a dirty duty weapon - so even though a late bloomer, he caught on!

We've just got to be patient, and watch 'em as they grow older and begin to understand what guns are about. Speakin' of which, I've got a granddaughter that's about the right age ta start learnin'.....get the hint, FuelFather?!???

Top Bottom