• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    About 2 years ago, my buddy Steve came over and we cleaned out my spare bedroom. I put a rollaway tool box, a 6 foot work bench, storage cabinets and my reloading bench in that room. The floor is tile so cleanups are easy. Light is good, there's a ceiling fan, A/C and heat and a small stereo. I play classical music when I reload.

I live alone with my little dog, Jake so the entire house is a man cave. There is not ONE frilly, flowery thing here and NOTHING has a heart on it! My "perfect score" CHL test target is mounted on the inside of the front door, marksmanship awards and replica BP rifles are on the walls.

Flash

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I gave up on the idea of using my garage a few years back and bought a 10 X 16 portable building and finished it out inside, insulation, AC, the works
    I love gong out there and pulling the handle on my 650

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    @roger4314 - cool set up. More space = more productive layout.
    What is the max number of rounds you have cranked out in a day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Like others have mentioned I mounted my press and powder thrower on a 2x6 and clamp to the kitchen counter. Floor is tile so any spills are easily cleaned up and I just take it down and store it when done.

But.......my new house plans have a 12x16 reloading room/bow room with heat and A/C designed in the garage. :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had a brainstorm last night and got a fan, opened the door into the garage, cranked the AC up. It dropped the temp in there by at least 10 degrees which made it pretty comfortable.

Ill be doing that again.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What is the max number of rounds you have cranked out in a day?

That's funny as I'm a dog slow loader. Even on those 2 Dillon RL550's, I only load one cartridge at a time and don't use the progressive capability at all. ONE round at a time start to finish. It slows things down but I get quality product! Since I use Bullseye, the charges are very small in pistol rounds. Double charges have plenty of room in the cases so I mount a mirror to visually check each powder level. You can see a double or partial charge immediately.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That reloading table has been in use for almost 30 years. It is a solid core door with folding metal legs attached and a reloading station on each side. I pull the table out, turn it so the desired press is accessible then use it that way.

Each press or reloading tool (measures etc) is mounted on a standard wood base that is held to the table with bolts and wing nuts. I can change out a whole unit in 5 minutes as every mounting hole is standardized.

Before I set this room up, Bonnie was living here with me and this little house was PACKED! I had carpet then so I put a movers blanket down, set the table up in the living room and cranked out rounds there. When I finished, I folded the table up, shook out the blanket and restored the living room to respectable condition. It worked out OK but I love having my "Tinker Room" better!

Thanks to Steve for helping me get the room ready!

Flash

Last edited:

ares338

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Paris, Texas
    I built a 12' by 12' room in my garage since my wife and I have never put our vehicles in the garage. I insulated it really well and put in air conditioning and there you have it...instant man cave. In Texas in Summer months you need air or you spontaneously combust!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In the Texas heat, comfort issues aside, powder doesn't measure well in the heat and humidity. Electronic scales are fussy and moderation is the key to getting them to work right. Adding the comfort factor, it makes sense to load in comfort!

Incidentally, I don't reload standing up. I mounted my presses low instead of using Dillon's strong base that raises the presses a lot. I sit in a big, leather office chair with a ceiling fan and air conditioning then throw on some classical music. Now, that's a fun way to reload!

Flash

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Prefer? Somewhere with a/c!

Reality? In the garage. In the summer that means loading in the morning. Winter means I can reload about anytime.

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    Fortunate that the spouse and I are empty nesters, so I have a spare that serves primarily as a reloading room. Of course the other half keeps sneaking other stuff in there, so it requires vigilance to keep it from becoming a full blown junk room.
    Earlier in life, I had a RCBS jr press mounted on a 1 ft X 2 ft board. I would open the dining room table and c-clamp the board where the table leaf belonged. It was less than ideal, but I reloaded many rounds of .357 and .40 S&W. Another board had a Lee Shotshell loader mounted on it and I loaded thousands of rounds of 12 gauge on it. Components were stored in plastic totes that went into a closet or the attic.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    In the middle 60s, I went out to the lake, as in Lake Jackson, and loaded in a garage that was Chubby Lamb's (Dow Reservoir cook) . We used an old C-H press or Pacific and loaded each primer by hand. The biggest injury was always from the clouds of mosquitoes, not from anything not shooting right. I didn't get my own RCBS Rock Chucker press until after moving to Angleton and I still loaded in my garage. Some of the powder I still have was stored in that garage heat and it still functions like it did when it was new.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    In the middle 60s, I went out to the lake, as in Lake Jackson, and loaded in a garage that was Chubby Lamb's (Dow Reservoir cook) . We used an old C-H press or Pacific and loaded each primer by hand. The biggest injury was always from the clouds of mosquitoes, not from anything not shooting right. I didn't get my own RCBS Rock Chucker press until after moving to Angleton and I still loaded in my garage. Some of the powder I still have was stored in that garage heat and it still functions like it did when it was new.

I hear stories like this often. I have always been a little paranoid with the powder. I keep them in a cool spot, and seal the primers in a metal ammo can. You hear stories of powder going bad, so I have always been really careful with powder and primers. I have primers that I have since the mid 90's, and use them often. Never had an issue with either component, but my careful nature it appears has served me well.

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    I do case prep in the hot months (size in the garage in the morning, tumble on the covered patio and fix primer pockets in the house) and reload in the garage in the cool months. I've collected enough brass of the various calibers to make this work.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom