• ...and so much more!
  • SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Ditto.

Plus the largest batch of cicada killers I have ever had. Usually just a couple. This spring must have had two dozen of the critters swarming around.

I didn't mention it, but I haven't seen any cicada killers in a while either .

Maybe I used my BBQ gun too much. IDK, the ant lions disappeared for awhile, and now they're back.

What is going to take longer is the lizards, I've seen some geckos , and a Western fence lizard, (nothing like there used to be), but the anoles are pretty much wiped out. I may have to restock them.

Sounds like the dog day cicadas are in good shape, they just aren't here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    If you want some house geckos. I have plenty to give you. Fence lizards too. The other day I was by the outside garbage can and one had its tail sticking out between some fence boards. I reached over and rubbed his tail.... Then he did the lightening fast scurry away thing. Gone in a second.

The house geckos are everywhere. They're always getting crushed in the door jams. Front door and garage. The neighbor gets freaked out about them and sets out glue traps. At night, there's a bunch that crawl on the side of house. Occasionally you see them hauling a$$ along the ground.

I got a few Texas toads too. Where they hide is a mystery. Then one day, they show up and hang out by some plants out front. One I named Henry. The other is Jake.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Used to be that way here. Maybe you didn't get that 16° weather there.

I brought most of my anoles and fence lizards in. I was working in a shop in the summer and caught a juvenile western. Kept it in a drink cup until quitting time .

Put it in my truck using my Bubba coffee mug as a holder for the cup. Didn't think about how hot that mug was. Just a little ways down the road, I looked in the cup, and it was dead. I took it out, rubbed it's belly, blew in it's mouth and then held it out the window to force air into it and cool it off.

Incredibly, it bounced back .

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    This one crawled out near the driveway and I assume he's safe, but the rest were eaten by the ducks.

30478256928_d032942f75_b.jpg

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you have a pool go check your skimmer basket and polaris bag. That's where they go. I see hundreds of them every day. Funny little bug. When I was kid I would collect all their shells from trees and fences and kept them in a big pickle jar. The smell after about 2 days in the jar was enough to drop a horse!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you want some house geckos. I have plenty to give you. Fence lizards too. The other day I was by the outside garbage can and one had its tail sticking out between some fence boards. I reached over and rubbed his tail.... Then he did the lightening fast scurry away thing. Gone in a second.

The house geckos are everywhere. They're always getting crushed in the door jams. Front door and garage. The neighbor gets freaked out about them and sets out glue traps. At night, there's a bunch that crawl on the side of house. Occasionally you see them hauling a$$ along the ground.

I got a few Texas toads too. Where they hide is a mystery. Then one day, they show up and hang out by some plants out front. One I named Henry. The other is Jake.

I have a steady group of geckos and anoles that come out at night and hang around on the ceiling over our porch. Occasionally my daughter will see one hanging out on the outside of the bathroom window. I take it that they get a good fill from any bugs attracted by the light from inside the house. I always say hello to them when I go out at night to have a cigar. My wife doesn't even want to see them.
    I often see the anoles popping their heads out of the weep holes on the house during the day too.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    They were thick around here (Houston area) last year. Funny thing is, I visited a friend in the valley, near Mercedes, last summer. The cicadas down there sound just a little bit different. The song ends abruptly where the ones around here kind of fade out. I guess it is a different sub-species?

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have a steady group of geckos and anoles that come out at night and hang around on the ceiling over our porch. Occasionally my daughter will see one hanging out on the outside of the bathroom window. I take it that they get a good fill from any bugs attracted by the light from inside the house. I always say hello to them when I go out at night to have a cigar. My wife doesn't even want to see them.
    I often see the anoles popping their heads out of the weep holes on the house during the day too.

Funny thing about geckos - those light colored one that are almost transparent. We did NOT have those when I was a kid. We had lizards, the green ones that change colors - but not geckos. Then again, we had horned toads all over the place and I have not seen one of them in 30 years.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Funny thing about geckos - those light colored one that are almost transparent. We did NOT have those when I was a kid. We had lizards, the green ones that change colors - but not geckos. Then again, we had horned toads all over the place and I have not seen one of them in 30 years.

Yeah , the horned toads are endangered. I miss them. Somehow , one wearing purple just isn't the same.

Green ones that change colors are Anoles.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Well, then, we had anoles growing up, and horned toads. We did not have geckos. I don't know if that is due to chemicals or a change in the ecosystem. We did not have fire ants, either.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yeah , the horned toads are endangered. I miss them. Somehow , one wearing purple just isn't the same.

Green ones that change colors are Anoles.

I have Anoles. Didn't know that term. And geckos. Lots of geckos. I like all those bug eating suckers.

My dog likes to catch the cicadas coming out of the ground. Crushes them and leaves them laying. I think she hates the noise.

Top Bottom