• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brownsound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Houston
    So this is the first time I'm selling a gun and I have no idea how to go about it. I bought a Sig Sauer 1911 from Gander 2 weeks ago and I have to get rid of it since I can't have it in the house and I haven't even shot it yet. Say I agree to a deal when I post the ad here, where do you generally meet up to sell guns. I can't really think of an acceptable place.
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, first off read the rules for posting a classified.

I have met at many different places but usually out in a parking lot of a store (Walmart seems to be popular). Away from the busy parking area but an area where help could be called for if the need arose.

Why can't you have it in the house?

brownsound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Houston
    Yea I saw the 25 post rule after I started this thread. Didn't know you could just go to a parking lot and sell there, sounds kinda risky. Would a gun dealer allow you to bring it in and sell it in the shop if you paid a little bit?

Can't have it in the house since my family dosen't like having a gun around and it's causing too many arguments.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yea I saw the 25 post rule after I started this thread. Didn't know you could just go to a parking lot and sell there, sounds kinda risky. Would a gun dealer allow you to bring it in and sell it in the shop if you paid a little bit?

Can't have it in the house since my family doesn't like having a gun around and it's causing too many arguments.

Yes, you can sell it to a gun store but you will not realize anywhere near the market value of the gun. Best way is to sell it in a FTF (Face to Face) transaction to an individual who offers you a reasonable price.

Some local community bulletin boards are easy to get an ad up on, however some don't allow, or will pull firearm ads.

Get the 25 posts on here, show us who you are and you will get reasonable offers from good folks.

Can you leave the gun locked in the trunk of your car? Would some training for you or the opposition help settle things out in regards to having a proper and legal defensive weapon?

Do you have a relative that can hold the gun for you for a period of time?

Whatever happens, good luck.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hide it and tell them you sold it. Locked up safely ofcourse.

You could sell it to a shop but get screwed.

Take it to a gun show and sell it. Selling it to an individual will get you the best return.

List it here when you qualify.

You can also post it on Texasguntrader.com. Be wary of scammers on there though. Usually pretty easy to spot but use caution.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Can't have it in the house since my family dosen't like having a gun around and it's causing too many arguments.

I have been involved in many good deals completed in parking lots. Use caution though.

Some shops do consignments. You retain ownership until it sells and will get a better deal than selling it directly to the shop. It sits on their shelf for all to see and handle. The shop gets a cut of the price.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Trunk of car wins the thread. I know they are your family, but if they are of the mindset of " I would rather watch my wife and daughters get gang raped before having my throat cut than to have a gun in the house" then you need to start working on moving out ASAP.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Trunk of car wins the thread. I know they are your family, but if they are of the mindset of " I would rather watch my wife and daughters get gang raped before having my throat cut than to have a gun in the house" then you need to start working on moving out ASAP.
    Given the very limited amount of information provided, that was irresponsible.

brownsound: private gun sales occur in public parking lots daily. If there's a question in your mind, ask to see (but not record) their CHL preferably or a TDL just to confirm age & TX resident. Acera and Dawico especially have offered sound advice. Even though it is unfired it is still considered a used gun. My best guess is to expect $50 - $200 below what you actually paid, it all depends on how you handle yourself.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

You have a gun. If you're letting people argue with you you're doing it wrong.

Just pick out your least favorite family member and pop a round off in their head. The rest will get the point.

I kid, I kid...

Just do the post whore thing then list it here after your 20. Someone here will be interested I'm sure.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You have a gun. If you're letting people argue with you you're doing it wrong.

Just pick out your least favorite family member and pop a round off in their head. The rest will get the point.

I kid, I kid...

Just do the post whore thing then list it here after your 20. Someone here will be interested I'm sure.

Could be the family knows more about the OP than we do.

Top Bottom