Which 9mm Polymer: HK P30L Light LEM or SA XDm 5.25?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by azngotskills, Nov 6, 2013.

1. azngotskills

azngotskills Member

Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Hey guys, I was hoping you could share arrow-10x10.png your opinions on 9mm polymer guns. I have bought/tried/sold a Glock G19 and SW M&P9, the G19 ergonomics just didnt fit me and I just didn't shoot accurately with the M&P9. All that being said, looking for an all-around 9mm for range duty, back up nightstand, and possibly informal competitions. I am willing to revisit those options, if there is overwhelming support in that direction!

I am looking at either getting a HK P30L Light LEM or Springfield XDm 5.25 Comp. I would to shoot them first hand but can't find any ranges for them to rent arrow-10x10.png .

The XDm 5.25 feels very similar to the XDs that I carry and the trigger pull is familiar and the fiber optic front sight is a plus with the adjustable rear sight. I cannot find a P30L Light LEM locally but held a V3, it fits my hand perfectly and balances well but the lightweight DA only trigger is a mystery to me since I cant dry fire one.

I know what I think are some pros/cons with either but hoping you guys with more experience can lead me. Any opinions, recommendations, insight?

2. HillRider

HillRider Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    That HK looks mighty expensive for a polymer. No experience with either, but I would base my personal decision on cost, value, quality, feel. For me, that probably excludes any polymer over $600 new or used.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    If you carry an XD and intend to continue doing so, then IMO the XDM makes the most sense. Why train and compete with one system and then defend your life with another? FYI the P30 is not a striker fired gun. The LEM is different enough to take some getting used to. The P30 is a great gun and if you want an HK go for it. Practically though I'd say the XD-M is probably your best path unless you switch carry gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. HillRider

HillRider Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    That's right, my bad. That could be another knock against p30 or pro, depending on what you prefer. My only experience there is with Sig p250, and while DAO there is smooth and damn accurate, not as fast as DAO in a s&w revolver or Kahr, or Glock etc..

5. azngotskills

azngotskills Member

Jul 2, 2012
    DFW
    Great advice guys and I appreciate the comments, hoping for more to come :)

I understand the "train with what your are going to carry" philosophy but realistically a sub-compact 3.3" XDs 45ACP is very different than a full-size 5.25" XDm 9mm in both size, feel in hand, recoil, etc. So I honestly didnt take it into consideration but think its a mute point IMO

Now the ~$200-300 price difference is a factor but isnt necessarily a deal breaker for me, especially if the HK is a better gun which is highly subjective.

I am very familiar with hammer control systems since I love the 1911 platform but carry a XDs (especially in the warmer months) due to easy of concealment/weight. I am not too worry about stoker-fired versus hammer system. I am more concerned with actual performance and maybe hoping to hear some personal experiences with either

6. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The XD is a good gun and my choice of the two.

I haven't shot that XD but I had a full sized one and liked it.

I haven't shot the H&K either and I won't. Their company policies will keep me away from their products.

7. winchster

winchster Right Wing Extremist TGT Supporter

Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I own and carry the P30, albeit not the LEM trigger version. It is the perfect handgun for me and I absolutely love it.
    You're more than welcome to shoot mine.

8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a XDm 4.5.

It's a great gun. Mines .40 but I got a 9mm conversion and it's a very smooth shooter. As a nightstand gun the fiber optic wont do much for you because it needs an external light source to be effective, on the range it will be nice. I can't honestly come up with any complaints about my XDm.

No experience with HK pistols.

And just to throw it out there, if you are a trigger snob give the PPQ a try. Very comfortable in my hand and the best trigger I've pulled in a handgun outside a few high end 1911s.

9. T-FAST

T-FAST Well-Known

Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Glock 34 or 35 ;)

10. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The XD-s, XD and XD-M all share the same manual of arms and very similar trigger feels. Yes the M has a but shorter reset and such, but to me it's very close to a plane jane XD. The P30 is a completely different manual of arms. The LEM is unique with a LONG reset and will take getting used to. If you are like me and stage the trigger the ledge when you transition from the take up section of the trigger pull to the break the shot section is VERY noticeable. Do it the same way with the XD or Glock and you'll have an ND as there is no ledge just a break.

I've owned, shot or carried both the XD family and the P30 family. IMO they are not interchangeable unless there is no other option. For me both families have been very reliable and have served well both in competition and in daily carry. After learning the LEM I think I'm more accurate with an HK than anything else, but that may just be that I practice more knowing I had to master a new trigger system. To me the P30 is the MOST ergonomic gun out there, but that is an absolute subjective stand and may not apply to you and your shooting. In also far more comfortable with a hammer fired gun since having switched to appendix carry. The extra security of being able to ride the hammer when holstering makes me feel better.

My advice to you and anyone else is to experiment and find the system that works for your needs and then shoot the ever living crap out if it. Having done the HK to 1911 to Glock to XD to Glock to MP to HK trip I can honestly say that it's not the gun, but the end user that matter most. It was an expensive yet fun trip, but my shooting would probably be a LOT better now had I just stuck with and mastered any one of those platforms.